Will incoming calls be long distance?

Have a question or problem with your Fongo Home Phone service? This forum is the place to get help from both staff and fellow community members.
Visit The Fongo Home Phone Support Knowledge-base for more.
Zephcrane
Just Passing Thru
ISP Name: Shaw Cable
Computer OS: Win 7 Pro

Will incoming calls be long distance?

Post by Zephcrane »

So I tried searching through the forums and found some conflicting answers to similar questions. Sorry if this gets asked a lot, I just want to be sure I'm on the right page. I sent Fongo this question and the reply was 'I can help you with this, let me call you' but I haven't received a call yet.

When I signed up, it advised that my city was a free calling city. When selecting a number though, my city wasn't on the list. The instructions just say: "Your city isn't listed? Just select a city where you have family and they'll be able to call you without long distance charges". Great, I did that...

But I realized my stupidity a day later when a friend pointed out that 99% of people calling me are local to my area and will now be charged long distance, which just won't work.

The thing is, I'm not totally sure that's actually the case. For all of the cities in my province, the area code Fongo has listed is identical. Victoria, Vancouver, Burnaby, wherever--it's always a '778' area code, and I received a 778-300-**** number. Now, if it's the first 6 digits that matter, then I'm even more confused because my existing home phone already starts with area code 778, and my existing mobile phone has a different area code (250) but a prefix of 300.

Based on this information, should I be expecting anyone in my city calling me will get long distance charges?
bridonca
Technical Support
SIP Device Name: Netgear WGR615V
Firmware Version: latest
ISP Name: Eastlink
Computer OS: XP

Re: Will incoming calls be long distance?

Post by bridonca »

Not knowing the ins and outs of the telephone exchange system in BC off the top of my head, I will give you general information.

Depending on each phone plan of the people that call you, they may or may not get charged long distance. It depends what is considered a local calling area by their plan, and that can vary quite a bit from plan to plan. Fongo really has little to do with this.

To make sure your number is a local call to them, each caller would have to check with their telco to find out for sure.

On the reverse, on some exchanges, even though it was a local call, the exchanges were so new that Fongo did not update their data base quick enough, so it was billed as a long distance call. Other telcos sometimes have the same problem.
Zephcrane
Just Passing Thru
ISP Name: Shaw Cable
Computer OS: Win 7 Pro

Post by Zephcrane »

Thank you for your response. I will wait for their phone call and confirm this information, but it sounds like I will have to cancel my Fongo purchase unless/until I can get a proper number for my city. Most people in BC are with Telus or Shaw for home phones, so even if their mobile plans don't see our number as long distance I'm pretty sure Shaw and Telus will.

My fault for not realizing, however I wish Fongo would add a disclaimer for people like me who assume somehow that Voip will work differently: "Note, if you're selecting a number not from your city, people in your local calling area may be charged long distance to call your number."
Mango
Tried and True
SIP Device Name: OBi110
Firmware Version: 1.3.0 (Build: 2824)
ISP Name: Telus
Computer OS: Windows 7
Router: Toastman Tomato

Post by Mango »

I realize this thread is a month old, but I don't see the answer, so I'll reply just in case.

According to localcallingguide.com, 778-300 is in the Vancouver rate centre. 250-300 is in the Kelowna rate centre. Kelowna has local calling to Lakeview Heights, Okanagan Mission, Rutland, and Westbank, but not Vancouver. So, if a caller from Kelowna wants to call a 778-300 number, they will have to pay long distance - unless they pay for a package from their service provider that includes long distance calls.

Unfortunately, I don't see any of these rate centres either on the list of places where Fongo provides new numbers, or in the rate centres Fongo can port from.

Alternates: Callcentric offers Kelowna numbers, but you need to purchase and configure your own equipment. AcroVoice has coverage in Kelowna and will provide pre-configured equipment.