Can I use OBI 100 ATA for Fongo Home Phone?

Have a question or problem with your Fongo Home Phone service? This forum is the place to get help from both staff and fellow community members.
Visit The Fongo Home Phone Support Knowledge-base for more.
torontovoipnewuserx
Just Passing Thru

Can I use OBI 100 ATA for Fongo Home Phone?

Post by torontovoipnewuserx »

I ordered Fongo Home Phone. But I still prefer to use my OBI 100 ATA instead of the supplied Grandstream ATA. OBI 100 is way more powerful and flexible.

Is that possible? If so, how do I config my OBI 100 ATA? What parameters do I have to change?

Thanks,
Jake
Technical Support

Re: Can I use OBI 100 ATA for Fongo Home Phone?

Post by Jake »

You will have to contact Fongo Home phone though a support ticket and see if they will tell you the username and password.

I cannot say if they will release this information to you or not though. It may also be in your online admin, if you have one. I don't have their Home Phone so I am unsure.
You can send it a support ticket from here https://support.fongo.com/anonymous_requests/new
torontovoipnewuserx
Just Passing Thru

I submitted a ticket today, and got a (scripted) answer, telling me something like I have to use Grandstream, even it is inferior to OBI, etc... Kind of disappointed. Guess there is only such much that level 1/level 2 support guys can do.

They also mistakenly think that I want to use FPL. No, I do not want FPL. I want Fongo Home Phone, but with my own OBI ATA, not the Grandstream device.

Is it that the Fongo Home Phone ( not FPL ) SIP config data is confidential, and that they are not allowed to disclose it?

I tried to grab some data from the Grandstream device and paste them to my OBI ATA. The OBI says this line is registered, like:
SP1 Service Status - Registered (server=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:xxxx; expire in 1123s)
But I just cannot make any outgoing calls or receive any incoming calls ( Incoming calls immediately go to the voice mail ).

Did I miss some other key config data here? Can someone help me out. I really love my OBI ATA. It is way way more powerful than the Grandstream ATA.
Jake
Technical Support

Post by Jake »

Well all you really need is your userid (more than likely your phone number) and password. If they give you this information is another matter. I don't think the SIP server address is any real secret and you can probably see that in your settings.

If you are competent enough to set up your own ATA, why are you with Fongo Home Phone? Wouldn't FPL be better financially for you in the long run? I know there is an initial outlay cost, but you would easy recoup that even when compared with the low cost of Home Phone.

You still get all the same calling areas and features, but you also get the flexibility to use whatever device you want.
mh1983
Lightly Seasoned
SIP Device Name: Grandstream HT-701
Firmware Version: 1.0.10.3
ISP Name: Teksavvy Cable
Computer OS: Windows 10 64 bit
Router: Linksys WRT N600 on DD-WRT
Smartphone Model: BlackBerry Q10

Post by mh1983 »

torontovoipnewuserx wrote:I submitted a ticket today, and got a (scripted) answer, telling me something like I have to use Grandstream, even it is inferior to OBI, etc... Kind of disappointed. Guess there is only such much that level 1/level 2 support guys can do.
Consider their POV: you can understand Fongo Home Phone service would allow only one type of supported device through the service that includes technical support. Else, they're dealing with settings through a multitude of ATAs on their network.

As Jake said, that's why they offer FPL as an alternative if you're into DIY. Use the ATA device you want, run it yourself, get support from the communities. If you're willing to go through the trouble you've had so far to get the Obi running with Fongo home phone, why not consider FPL?
torontovoipnewuserx
Just Passing Thru

Thanks for all the replies and suggestion.

I fully know the FPL product. But I see that the FPL is not heavily advertised these days any more, compared to the past, I think that Fongo decides to quietly let FPL slowly die, and provide no further commitment/network upgrade for it.

In contrast, Fongo home phone is prominently advertised in Fongo's home page. Since it is a paid product with monthly recurring income, I guess Fongo has some incentive ( no matter how slight it is ) to maintain its service quality. That is why I decide to go with Fongo Home Phone. A $5 monthly cost is a tiny price to pay for a much better phone line than FPL ( Please please do not argue with me on that. I have already made my decision )

So in short, I am here not asking for product recommendation. I am here to specifically ask *** how to set up OBI 100 for Fongo Home Phone ***.

Is Fongo doing some secret hard-coding at their server end so that only their Grandstream-device-initiated requests will go through, and all other devices will be rejected? If that is the case, I am really doomed.
Jake
Technical Support

Post by Jake »

No problem, I respect your choices. That is the beauty of what FreePhoneLine has done here in allowing people to choose how to use their systems.
torontovoipnewuserx wrote:So in short, I am here not asking for product recommendation. I am here to specifically ask *** how to set up OBI 100 for Fongo Home Phone ***.
You will need your login ID, password, and SIP server address to connect your ATA to their sip server. Then follow the guide here http://forum.fongo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=16090
torontovoipnewuserx wrote:Is Fongo doing some secret hard-coding at their server end so that only their Grandstream-device-initiated requests will go through, and all other devices will be rejected? If that is the case, I am really doomed.
They could block it their end I guesst, but I don't think they are as I can connect to their Fongo SIP servers with my FPL account and use the phone just fine.
torontovoipnewuserx
Just Passing Thru

It seems that Fongo is indeed doing some hard-coding at its server end so that its Fongo Home Phone service only accepts their GrandStream device initiated requests, and rejects all other device initiated requests.

I think I can theoretically modify my OBI ATA settings so that it claims it is a GrandStream device during registration. But I don't want to bother.

I ended up regretfully calling Fongo to close my Fongo Home Phone account, and I decided to use FreePhoneLine instead. It is not the free feature that attracted me to FPL. It is the fact that FPL supports my OBI ATA that attracted me to FPL.

I hope FPL is just as good as Fongo Home Phone, line quality wise, and Fongo puts in the same amount of effort/committment in maintaining FPL as it does to Fongo Home Phone. I do not worry about the lack of support in FPL, as I think I am a highly technical person, and I can troubleshoot almost all the problems by myself.
bridonca
Technical Support
SIP Device Name: Netgear WGR615V
Firmware Version: latest
ISP Name: Eastlink
Computer OS: XP

Post by bridonca »

Probably too late, but what you could have done is port your Home phone number to Freephoneline for $5, and pay $80? for SIP settings. that way you keep the same number, and you no longer have a monthly bill.

I think it is a wise business decision that Fongo does not promote Freephoneline. They do not make as much money, and Fongo really does not want to have to deal with the support that SIP configuration requires. Those that do seek the service get the info word of mouth, so it is redundant to advertise. And from experience, if you are selling to newbies, you want them to use the simplest service possible, with the least options. The company and newbie are happier for it.