Incoming calls override ring tone set on home phone

Have a question or problem with your Fongo Home Phone service? This forum is the place to get help from both staff and fellow community members.
Visit The Fongo Home Phone Support Knowledge-base for more.

Incoming calls override ring tone set on home phone

Postby rickm » 05/22/2019

I have a Panasonic answering machine with 3 cordless handsets. It has 7 ringtones to choose from. It's been set to #1 for years. Now that I've ported my old number to Fongo, incoming calls ring once with the original tone, but then switch to some other annoying sound. Maybe coincidence, but this obnoxious tone is #2 in the phone settings.

Is this known behaviour? Is there anything I can do about it?
rickm
Just Passing Thru

SIP Device Name: HT-701
ISP Name: Shaw Cable
Smartphone Model: Galaxy Note 8
Android Version: 9

Re: Incoming calls override ring tone set on home phone

Postby bridonca » 05/23/2019

Probably a coincidence. You would have to program the Panasonic to do the ringtone you were happy with again.
bridonca
Technical Support

SIP Device Name: Netgear WGR615V
Firmware Version: latest
ISP Name: Eastlink
Computer OS: XP

Postby rickm » 05/23/2019

It happens every time. When I check the ringer setting on the phone, it actually still says #1, which is what it's always been. After the first ring the tone changes.

I have 2 different Panasonic cordless phones plugged in: this one with 3 handsets and another with 2. The other one doesn't have this problem!
rickm
Just Passing Thru

Postby NudgeNudgeWinkWink » 05/27/2019

1st ring good, 2nd ring bad? Interesting.

Caller ID info usually arrives between the 1st and 2nd ring. At least it used to with the old POTS lines. I don't know when Voip sends it.

Any chance you've somehow set the "naughty" phone to have all your incoming calls assigned to a "group" with a different ringtone?

Page 29 of the manual for my KX-TG4031C says:

Group ringer tone for phonebook.
This feature can help you identify who is calling by using different ringer tones for different groups of callers. When adding an entry to the phonebook, you can assign it to the desired group (page 17). When a call is received from a caller assigned to a group, the ringer you selected for that group rings after caller information is displayed.

I played around with it for a few minutes, but I can't figure out how to assign a tone to a group. Maybe my version doesn't actually allow it. Does yours?
NudgeNudgeWinkWink
Just Passing Thru

SOLVED Re: Incoming calls override ring tone set on home pho

Postby rickm » 05/27/2019

You da man!

My cell phone was in the Panasonic's phone book with that obnoxious ringer tone number 2. I vaguely remember doing that, many years ago. Nobody in my family answers the landline anymore so I think I set it to a different tone so they would know it was me. Of course, I was calling from my cell phone to test Fongo.

Thanks!!!
rickm
Just Passing Thru

Return to Community Support