Choppy audio

Have a question or problem with your Fongo Home Phone service? This forum is the place to get help from both staff and fellow community members.
Visit The Fongo Home Phone Support Knowledge-base for more.

Choppy audio

Postby davecool » 10/29/2012

I just made a call home into our new Fongo line from a local number and the audio was very, very choppy. That is, their outgoing voice was choppy; they said my voice was fine. I haven't experienced this before with the Fongo ATA, since I'm not usually on the outside. We recently updated our router with dd-wrt and enabled QoS to ensure the bandwidth would be there when we needed it. It's worked well until this call. How can I diagnose this? I don't want to continually have to reboot my router and ATA to get good voice quality... are there others out there using the Fongo ATA and having no trouble?

Thanks, David
davecool
Quiet One

SIP Device Name: HT701
Firmware Version: 1.0.3.1
ISP Name: TekSavvy
Computer OS: Mac OS X 10.8
Router: TP-Link TL-WR1043ND

Re: Choppy audio

Postby X-TraxxX » 10/30/2012

Hey David

I have two friends with the exact same setup as you.

DSL/ Cable modem -> Router with DDwrt -> Linnksys ATA Unit - > phone distribution Hub -> Phone

All are working well. Check to see you are running ddwrt firmware version 14929. QoS were buggy in other versions.

Cheers

X-TraxxX
X-TraxxX
One Hit Wonder

SIP Device Name: Sipura 3000
ISP Name: 3Web
Computer OS: Win XP, Win 7, Linux
Router: Asus RT-N16

Re: Choppy audio

Postby vq1 » 11/11/2012

I have exactly the same setup, and despite setting up QoS in DDWRT, I had choppy audio only when I was uploading or downloading at full capacity. Check for P2P or Torrent apps running, as that was the only time I experienced choppy audio one-way.

davecool wrote:I just made a call home into our new Fongo line from a local number and the audio was very, very choppy. That is, their outgoing voice was choppy; they said my voice was fine. I haven't experienced this before with the Fongo ATA, since I'm not usually on the outside. We recently updated our router with dd-wrt and enabled QoS to ensure the bandwidth would be there when we needed it. It's worked well until this call. How can I diagnose this? I don't want to continually have to reboot my router and ATA to get good voice quality... are there others out there using the Fongo ATA and having no trouble?

Thanks, David
vq1
Quiet One

SIP Device Name: SPA2102
ISP Name: Electronic Box
Computer OS: Windows 7
Router: DDWRT

Return to Community Support