Can the voicemail in Asterisk be disabled or code changed?

Have a question or problem with your Fongo Home Phone service? This forum is the place to get help from both staff and fellow community members.
Visit The Fongo Home Phone Support Knowledge-base for more.
pcdunlop
Just Passing Thru
SIP Device Name: Linksys PAP2T-NA
ISP Name: Teksavvy
Computer OS: Windows 7

Can the voicemail in Asterisk be disabled or code changed?

Post by pcdunlop »

I have setup a spare PC with asterisk 1.8 and freePBX and it works great with FPL (I have learned a lot from the posts here and google!). The only thing I couldn't figure out is how to disable the asterisk voicemail (*98) and use freephonline instead (also *98), given that callers get to the FPL voicemail only. I am using a DISA script to get dialtone and when I dial *98 I get to the asterisk voicemail, never freephoneline.

I am not sure if it's possible to disable to asterisk voicemail or maybe change the *98 in asterisk to another code so that when I dial *98 it goes straight to the freephoneline voicemail. In my setup I haven't created an extension, only 1 truck, 2 incoming plans and 1 outgoing route.

I saw a post where it explains how to do it in pbxes.org (http://forum.fongo.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... s&start=50) , but I never found anything similar to asterisk/freePBX. Any ideas?
Jake
Technical Support

Re: Can the voicemail in Asterisk be disabled or code change

Post by Jake »

Ive not tried this, but I would have thought something along these lines would set you in the right direction.

1. Go to setup -> Feature Codes (in the Basic Setup section)
2. set *98 to disabled (maybe just unchecking the default box will also do)
3. In your outbound route for your FPL trunk, add in *98 for the pattern match.

What this should do is tell asterisk to not do something when you dial *98, but pass that to your FPL trunk.

If this doesn't work, you might have to set up an outbound route (again in the same one as your main FPL trunk) that has *98 as the prefix and your FPL number in the prepend box. Nothing in the match pattern box. This should dial your FPL number when you dial *98 - which in turn will send you to your FPL voicemail.
pcdunlop
Just Passing Thru
SIP Device Name: Linksys PAP2T-NA
ISP Name: Teksavvy
Computer OS: Windows 7

Re: Can the voicemail in Asterisk be disabled or code change

Post by pcdunlop »

Thanks much Jake. That worked! I disabled the asterisk feature code and use FPL instead (adding to the outbound route)! For some reason I was looking everywhere in the "Settings" and the Feature Codes are under the "Admin", it took me a while to figure that out!

I find your posts really useful, I also have a Telus prepaid + FPL working with Asterisk and it''s amazing! With your directions it took me "only" 2 days to get asterisk configured, up and running! :-)

Paulo.