Android app?

Have a great idea? We'd love to hear it! Want to share the story of how Fongo is saving you money? This is the place to do it!
nawoa
Just Passing Thru
SIP Device Name: HTC Desire
Firmware Version: Android 2.2 (rooted)
ISP Name: Teksavvy (Home) / Telus (Cell)
Computer OS: Windows 7 / Android OS
Router: Linksys WRT310Nv2 w/ DD-WRT

Android app?

Post by nawoa »

Android as a platform eliminates all the ugliness involved in getting a mobile app out there. It's also just started what appears to be a trend of unstoppable domination of other platforms with the growing popularity of well-polished, mature Android 2.1 and 2.2 devices. You hear about iPhone 4 breaking all kinds of sales records, but considering that it's well-known to have a severe connectivity defect and the vast majority of the sales are people upgrading from earlier models, it's really not the breakout success it's often made out to be. iPhone people are going to buy iPhones, because they want an iPhone since it's an iPhone.

By this time next year it's safe to say that Android will be the platform of choice for app developers, although it'll probably take a little while before companies with heavy investment in iPhone/iWhatever products switch teams. (I'm learning to dance just so I'll be able to do something appropriate when Android vs iPhone sales break parity)

...I'm rambling.

Anyway my point is, I really hope to hear soon that you guys are working on a FreePhoneLine app; there's very little barrier to entry on the Android platform and the programming is relatively lightweight, especially considering how many examples are available. If you can code a dialer for PC, you can probably code an Android dialer with the same or less effort, and there's nothing like it out there available for Canadians. Best part is, you're a Canadian company so you can't get shot down on the same basis things like Google Phone undoubtedly have been or will be.

To make things even more attractive, Android has a really non-invasive ad system you could use, just adds a little spot at the top or bottom of the screen as you choose. The ads are text-only too, so people don't mind them.

Uhh... and I'll... If you begin developing NOW I'll send you this free TV offer with no obligation.

PLEASE??!

It's a whole new world out there... I'm eager to defecate on the ashes of the old one dominated by one or two companies, specifically Bell *gag*.
laurent
*Go-To Guy*
SIP Device Name: Grandstream HT-502
Firmware Version: 1.0.1.63
ISP Name: DSL TekSavvy
Computer OS: OSX Snow Leopard
Router: Linksys WRT54GL w/tomato

Re: Android app?

Post by laurent »

Obvious troll is obvious, hmm?
it's well-known to have a severe connectivity defect
Yes all those MILLIONS of phones currently in use are so severely defect that almost no one complains or returns it.

Aaaanyways moving along. There's already a metric ton of SIP applications for Android, why would you want FPL to create another one? Try Sipdroid or SipAgent perhaps, as they seem to be popular choices.
Yroc
Active Poster

Re: Android app?

Post by Yroc »

Can someone go thru the steps requied to set up on Sipdroid?