Does Freephoneline offer "attended/blind transfer"?

Have a great idea? We'd love to hear it! Want to share the story of how Fongo is saving you money? This is the place to do it!

Does Freephoneline offer "attended/blind transfer"?

Postby sncbhle18 » 12/04/2014

I was wondering if the Freephoneline service offer an "ability" to transfer a call to another caller in progress? I already know that I can easily set up "conference calling" (or three-way calling) using *71 (using a residential phone service like Rogers, Bell, Telus, Cogeco, Videotron, etc.), but I wanted to know if there are any "secrets" to "relinquish" a call to another caller.

To make my claim easier to understand, here's the scenario (typically found on other telcos such as Rogers, Bell, Telus, Cogeco, Videotron, etc.) :
1) Caller #1 calls Caller #2.
2) Caller #1 tells Caller #2 that he/she want to speak to Caller #3.
3) Caller #1 presses "Flash" button on the phone and dials *71 (star seven one). Caller #1 then dials Caller #3.
4) Caller #3 answers to Caller #1. Caller #1 then presses the "Flash" button to enable three-way calling between Caller #1, Caller #2 and Caller #3.

The last bit is somewhat a bit confusing. I wanted to make sure that Caller #2 ONLY speaks to Caller #3 only. If I were to let go of the conversation (by simply hanging up), the three-way calling will end. Therefore, Caller #2 tries to dial Caller #3 in a separate session. I have been trying to "experiment" this using the Rogers Home Phone service that I use at home, but with limited success.

Anyways, I want to know if the Freephoneline/Fongo service (or any other VOIP service) offers a feature that allows me to relinquish a call to another "party" and that way, two parties can speak, without me handling the conversation.

I'm also hinting that I want to get a special device that allows me to transfer callers between telephone numbers, so that the different callers can only speak to themselves - without getting me involved (that telecom term that I discovered . Is there such a device out there (that will work with the Freephoneline/Fongo service) or is it simply "carrier specific"?
sncbhle18
Active Poster

SIP Device Name: Cisco SPA122
Firmware Version: 1.4.1
ISP Name: Rogers Cable
Computer OS: Windows 10

Re: Does Freephoneline offer "attended/blind transfer"?

Postby ckkatan » 12/04/2014

Hi,

I am not sure it will work or not. In some ATA's, there is an option to transfer a caller to another number all the time. I have not tested this option.
ckkatan
Active Poster

SIP Device Name: Cisco
ISP Name: DSL
Router: Linksys

Postby aajamilkhan » 01/17/2015

The last bit is somewhat a bit confusing. I wanted to make sure that Caller #2 ONLY speaks to Caller #3 only. If I were to let go of the conversation (by simply hanging up), the three-way calling will end. Therefore, Caller #2 tries to dial Caller #3 in a separate session. I have been trying to "experiment" this using the Rogers Home Phone service that I use at home, but with limited success.
NOOR
aajamilkhan
One Hit Wonder

Postby Liptonbrisk » 02/04/2015

sncbhle18 wrote:I was wondering if the Freephoneline service offer an "ability" to transfer a call to another caller in progress?

Yes, but the feature is handled by the ATA. So you need an ATA that offers that feature.

but I wanted to know if there are any "secrets" to "relinquish" a call to another caller

Yes. Hang up (only if the ATA support the blind transfer feature)

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=3039.0

Here is the procedure (as copied from RonR) with OBi ATAs:

- Have a call already in progress

- Press the FLASH button on your phone

- Wait for a new dialtone

- Dial *blindtransfer code

- Wait for a new dialtone

- Dial the number that the call is to be transferred to

- Wait for a confirmation tone

- Hang up the phone
Please do not send me emails; I do not work for nor represent Freephoneline or Fongo. Post questions on the forums so that others may learn from responses or assist you. Thank you. If you have an issue with your account or have a billing issue, submit a ticket here: https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. Visit http://status.fongo.com/ to check FPL/Fongo service status. Freephoneline setup guides can be found at viewforum.php?f=15.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

SIP Device Name: Obihai 202/2182, Groundwire
Firmware Version: various
ISP Name: FTTH
Computer OS: Windows 64 bit
Router: Asuswrt-Merlin & others

Return to Suggestions & Feedback