Re: Sign-In

Have a great idea? We'd love to hear it! Want to share the story of how Fongo is saving you money? This is the place to do it!
Pirate
Active Poster

Post by Pirate »

There should be an option to sign-in with FPL number or email, rather than by email only.
zombie999
Lightly Seasoned

Post by zombie999 »

I think that sign in by email only is more secure. We all know what exchanges FPL uses, so brute force password attack is easier to perform. Don't even think they lock out your account after X amount of wrong log in attempts.

Besides, I may have logged in 3 times in 2 years.

A secured log in (SSL) is what I would like to see.
laurent
*Go-To Guy*
SIP Device Name: Grandstream HT-502
Firmware Version: 1.0.1.63
ISP Name: DSL TekSavvy
Computer OS: OSX Snow Leopard
Router: Linksys WRT54GL w/tomato

Post by laurent »

zombie999 wrote:A secured log in (SSL) is what I would like to see.
+1, bump, me too, etc. This is really dangerous and takes all but 10 minutes to add to any webserver. Slap a 30$ certificate on it and you're good to go with time to spare.
OverDrive
Lightly Seasoned
SIP Device Name: SPA3102
Firmware Version: 5.2.13(GW002)
ISP Name: Start Communications (off Cogeco)
Computer OS: 8
Router: TP-Link TL-WR1043ND (DD-WRT)

Post by OverDrive »

laurent wrote:
+1, bump, me too, etc. This is really dangerous and takes all but 10 minutes to add to any webserver. Slap a 30$ certificate on it and you're good to go with time to spare.
Where do you get the cert for $30? The lowest I've seen is from ev1servers.net and it's $49 US

I'm interested as I sometimes need to buy one for my work or other purposes.
Adam Marshall
AJ Tek
laurent
*Go-To Guy*

Post by laurent »

OverDrive wrote:Where do you get the cert for $30? The lowest I've seen is from ev1servers.net and it's $49 US

Well that's weird. Not 5 days ago I was telling one of my clients that his godaddy SSL certificates were 30$ per year for renewals (i think it was 50$ first year and then 30$ all subsequent years).

I just logged back in my account and all renewals are 50$ per year. That's strange, I'm really quite certain I saw 29,99$ per year for 2+ years.

Perhaps it was a rotating promo on the website and now it's gone, who knows.
Jake
Technical Support

Post by Jake »

OverDrive wrote:
laurent wrote:
Where do you get the cert for $30? The lowest I've seen is from ev1servers.net and it's $49 US

Here > http://gan.doubleclick.net/gan_click?li ... 0000317569

That link should give you a SSL certificate for $12.99 a year. (only when you order though, so add as many years as you will need or you won't get it for the same price next year.) The offer should be in a goldish box, top left. Add it to the cart and the discount is applied at checkout.
zombie999
Lightly Seasoned

Post by zombie999 »

I'm pretty sure FPL could afford $50/year. ;)
laurent
*Go-To Guy*

Post by laurent »

Heck, I'd even accept a self-signed certificate over no encryption at all.
FONGO_kris
Site Moderator
SIP Device Name: Polycom 550 IP Phone
Firmware Version: 4.2.0.0310
ISP Name: Rogers Cable
Computer OS: Ubuntu 11.10
Router: Cisco E1200-N
Smartphone Model: Samsung Galaxy S2
Android Version: 4.0.3

Re: Re: Sign-In

Post by FONGO_kris »

The main reason for having not done this as of yet, is our unwillingness to break functionality as users become confused by seeing a (gasp) ssl page. I think that eventually there's going to be one ssl page, but not that all of the domains share (ie. anything.freephoneline.ca/anything all being secured). This of course is my best guess as there has been no further word on the topic for some time.

There has been some loose discussions of moving the customer login to a secured page, than having the front end advertising, rate lookups, etc.. on an unsecure page; however, none of this is finalized nor will it be in the next short while.
Kris
Logistics & International Purchasing | Fongo
Call us toll-free! 611 from your fongo phone or 1-855-836-3355
Please advise I will no longer be contributing to this forum for the time being. Please feel free to email me.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Samsung Galaxy S2 [GT-I9100] / 3.0.15-I9100XXLPH / Thebyani v3.2
laurent
*Go-To Guy*

Post by laurent »

There won't be confusion when pushing SSL if you're using a certificate from the big guys because it's transparent. People go from normal to SSL on many sites and it's fine. What's confusing is when you use a self-signed certificate. Firefox has quite the scary warning and IE8 makes it hard to click the continue button.

It's all extremely easy to do. From the technical side, there's no excuse not to at least offer it optionally.

There's a lot of private data on this web page, my home personal address, phone numbers, and call logs for every one that called me or that I have called.

I really, really would like to stress out the importance of plugging this enormous security hole. I really do love and enjoy the FreePhoneLine service as you can probably see from my participation in this forum, but honestly, you're way past the "experimental/beta" stages now. The web site with our private data ought to be secure.
cu2o2o2
Lightly Seasoned
SIP Device Name: Double-NAT PAP2T-NA
Firmware Version: 5.1.6 (LS)
ISP Name: Rogers Express with SB5101
Computer OS: Win7 32-bit for DV softphone
Router: WNR3500L behind DIR-615C1

Post by cu2o2o2 »

laurent wrote:There won't be confusion when pushing SSL if you're using a certificate from the big guys because it's transparent. People go from normal to SSL on many sites and it's fine. What's confusing is when you use a self-signed certificate. Firefox has quite the scary warning and IE8 makes it hard to click the continue button.

It's all extremely easy to do. From the technical side, there's no excuse not to at least offer it optionally.

There's a lot of private data on this web page, my home personal address, phone numbers, and call logs for every one that called me or that I have called.

I really, really would like to stress out the importance of plugging this enormous security hole. I really do love and enjoy the FreePhoneLine service as you can probably see from my participation in this forum, but honestly, you're way past the "experimental/beta" stages now. The web site with our private data ought to be secure.

Well said. +1

You agree to read my posts at your own risk.
Funkytown
Technical Support
SIP Device Name: Cisco SPA112
Firmware Version: 1.4.1 (SR5) Oct 14 2
ISP Name: Cik Telecom
Computer OS: Windows 10
Router: Zyxel EMG2926
Smartphone Model: LG G8 Thinq
Android Version: Android Q

Post by Funkytown »

I have to fully agree with Laurent ;) Well said and thanks for talking about the importance for all of us here.