Use as a fax line

Have a great idea? We'd love to hear it! Want to share the story of how Fongo is saving you money? This is the place to do it!
Masai
One Hit Wonder
SIP Device Name: NA
Firmware Version: NA
ISP Name: Shaw Cable
Computer OS: win xp
Router: Alfa Shield

Use as a fax line

Post by Masai »

Hi All,
I have a land line and a world line plan at home, recently I converted a room into an office, but I do not have a telephone jack there. I was planning to use a Softphone or an ATA device hook up to the fax unit. I am told it will not work. Is there some one who may have a solution? Has anyone tried this at all? Please oblige, thx. Masai
bridonca
Technical Support
SIP Device Name: Netgear WGR615V
Firmware Version: latest
ISP Name: Eastlink
Computer OS: XP

Re: Use as a fax line

Post by bridonca »

It might or might not work. If you can slow down the fax speed, that would give you a better chance of working. Also, use the g.711 ulaw codec, and make sure you got a good internet connection. Oh, and don't whine if it does not work well, there is a reason why faxing is not supported. :D
Jake
Technical Support

Re: Use as a fax line

Post by Jake »

I can only get fax to work when I have it connected to my PAP2T. I can't get it to work though the Thomson router/ata.

As mentioned, try to slow your fax down as much as you can, if you can tell it you are on a slow connection. Also make the fax as simple as possible. I have found that a full page picture is less likely to go through then a short typed or handwritten message. Receiving is another ball game as you can't control what is coming in.

It sometimes feels as the world is going backwards trying to get a fax to go, so your best bet maybe to use email, or go down your local UPS store and use theirs.