Count me among the converted

Have a great idea? We'd love to hear it! Want to share the story of how Fongo is saving you money? This is the place to do it!
SeanM
One Hit Wonder
SIP Device Name: TG784
Firmware Version: 8.2.3.A
ISP Name: SuperSpeed DSL
Computer OS: Windows 7
Router: Thompson784

Count me among the converted

Post by SeanM »

Like so many others, I basically found myself being sick and tired of being a formality with Bell, I investigated some alternatives and here I am. I am now a happy freephoneline subscriber and SuperSpeed DSL customer.

Let me tell you, the entire experience has been absolutely liberating!!!

I made my initial call somewhere around the 20th of March and received my Thompson 784 router within 2 days. My dry loop was setup right on schedule and I plugged in the router a couple of days later. Go figure, a real plug and play device. I had my entire home network transferred over within the day and things have never been better. The performance has been great and I have not had to reset my router every day as I was with my previous unit. When I say home network, I am talking about 8 devices. The unlimited bandwidth will be like a breath of fresh air.

So the next thing became the transfer of my home phone. Like so many others, my home phone has become a catchcan for every 800 number in Canada and every telemarketer outside of Canada. I simply cannot justify paying for that constant intrusion. Well, I filled out my LOA and my phone number was promptly ported yesterday and after a quick call to tech support we are now VOIP home phone newbies too. We have made a bunch of calls since yesterday because we were like kids in the candy store. I think I will even call my uncle in Newfoundland later today. The quality of the calls has been just great. I suspect that I will continue to enjoy my new home phone while I am at home...and when I travel. Again, as a new VOIP user, this is a new horizon for me to explore.

The last step in the completion of this transition is email addresses. I have of course received my first email address in the Squirrel Mail system. It is fine and I do use my ISP email address to conduct my personal business. As I have read from other threads, this is a personal choice of mine and although I understand there is a transition period where I have to advise all those who have my previous ISP address of my new ISP address, I still enjoy having that "home" based address. I use the big freebies for junk. So I have asked via tech support how do I take advantage of the 5 email addresses that I see are available to SuperSpeed customers, but I am not receiving a response yet. I would like to have an address for every member of my family. (4) Once this is done, I will be set.

I am actually a loyal customer. As long as something is working for me and makes sense, I have no will to change. So, as long as I can receive services from FPL/SuperSpeed, I will.

As I said in the beginning, I really got sick and tired of being a formality with Bell. I don't suspect that FPL will take me there too. I am paying a very fair price for a very good series of services. I am converted.

Since I have this opportunity to offer my advice or feedback, I will echo the remarks of others in these forums. It would be a great idea to send or offer a Welcome/Getting Started package for persons like me who are new DSL/FPL subscribers. I did manage just fine and everything went better and quicker than I ever expected, but a package like that would have proven invaluable. I could use a little something that would tell me what non-destructive settings I could change on my router. Administrator Password for example? WEP key settings?

The only other thing I really really need is the email addresses for my family.

So, Thank You to FreePhoneLine and SuperSpeed DSL. I am looking forward to a long and happy relationship.