Defending my reputation

Have a great idea? We'd love to hear it! Want to share the story of how Fongo is saving you money? This is the place to do it!
visioncraft
Just Passing Thru
ISP Name: Bell

Defending my reputation

Post by visioncraft »

SInce the previous thread is closed, I do feel the need to defend my own reputation.

I am the author of an internationally-acclaimed book endorsed by the former president of the UN General Assembly, among others.

I am a former employee of a national church and worked for years as a grassroots educator in Latin America.

I am not guilty of fraud, or anythng like it. (If I were, would I have really complained about a few bogus calls on my account, amounting to about $3-$4?)

I do enter my ATA settings via my computer, so I suppose a keylogger is always a possibility, albeit I do use Kaspersky Internet Security, which is suppose to be the best anti-virus product on the market.

Just to say, I am deeply mystified by this whole thing - and a bit concerned about my own network security. I am quite tech-savvy, but it seems strange to me that anyone would bother to target me or my phone line. I find the whole thing as exceedingly strange as most of you would....

I would ask that the previous thread be removed - at least those replies that challenge my personal reputation.

Many thanks!
bridonca
Technical Support
SIP Device Name: Netgear WGR615V
Firmware Version: latest
ISP Name: Eastlink
Computer OS: XP

Re: Defending my reputation

Post by bridonca »

Your credentials don't really say anything for your honesty or dishonesty. From my point of view, I can see how you could be hacked. But I applaud Freephoneline in it's speed of cutting your service. Because sadly, you are responsible for your own network security, and you have to get a handle of where the breach is. Freephoneline is faultless in this regard.

You have very little to concern yourself with when it comes to your reputation. This forum is not carried on the search engines, so other than the few people here, who is going to be concerned?

I would be just as concerned in your reputation when it comes to locking down your security. I am sure that is a tad unfair, but sadly, the damage is same as if you were a so called "crook"
Ice
Lightly Seasoned

Post by Ice »

I'm not sure what to make out of your whole situation as well.

The FPL team isn't perfect, but they try to take care of us...
I personally don't question your integrity at all - I've seen some really strange things happen in life and this could be another.

I'd like to wait and see how FPL takes care of the issue first as there's nothing we can really do/say in the meantime... goodluck! :)
user451
Active Poster
SIP Device Name: SPA2102
Firmware Version: 5.2.13(004)
ISP Name: Teksavvy Express Cable
Router: Dir-601 DD-WRT

Post by user451 »

Very strange indeed, When accounts are hacked you would expect them rack up huge usage. IF you search forums you probably find others who have tight security strong passwords they change and still get hacked, in some cases at the providers side. The idea of pay as you go would hopefully limit the damage done, and not drag an account into a negative balance.

It's a little disturbing that FPL would cut the line to soon, instead of limiting overseas or long distance calling, while still allowing DID.