Fax messages

Have a great idea? We'd love to hear it! Want to share the story of how Fongo is saving you money? This is the place to do it!

Fax messages

Postby pete_fpl » 08/08/2011

I receive a few fax messages from marketing companies every month or so. I'm curious why, and how, I get these.
pete_fpl
Active Poster

SIP Device Name: Cisco PAP2T
Firmware Version: 5.1.6
ISP Name: Fibrestream
Router: D-Link DIR-601 N 150

Re: Fax messages

Postby tweener » 08/20/2011

From a company in Richmond Hill? I just posted a message in 'General Discussion' before seeing this. I started getting them about a month or so ago. A friend of mine who rarely uses his FPL number gets them too. I doubt he's ever given the number out to anyone. So who is leaking FPL numbers to these people I wonder?
tweener
Just Passing Thru

Re: Fax messages

Postby Jake » 08/20/2011

tweener wrote:From a company in Richmond Hill? I just posted a message in 'General Discussion' before seeing this. I started getting them about a month or so ago. A friend of mine who rarely uses his FPL number gets them too. I doubt he's ever given the number out to anyone. So who is leaking FPL numbers to these people I wonder?

I very much doubt anyone is giving out your number. It is probably either someone you have called in the past, them calling a wrong number, or them using a shotgun method of spamming.

FPL being owned by Fibernetics might be one explanation.

Fibernetics is (AFAIK) mainly for businesses, so many of the numbers that Fibernetics have will be in use by businesses. A quick look on this page http://www.localcallingguide.com/lca_pr ... p?ocn=464D will give you the NPA-NPXs that Fibernetics own (and FPL also uses). So now someone who wants to spam businesses have a big list of NPA-NPXs which have a high possibility of getting a company. Now they just start spamming those numbers. Take my number 613-366-xxxx. They can get the NPA-NPX from that list, now I have a 1:1000 chance of getting a fax from them. Once they know the fax actually gets sent, they will keep that number to send to again. If your friend is on the same NPA-NPX, then there is a 1:500 chance they will get one of your numbers, which isnt all that high.

I have probably over thought this :? but if wanted to spam companies with faxes, then I would probably look into something like this rather than randomly calling any number. At least this route would better give me a chance of getting my intended target. Unfortunately they won't much care if they bother residential people.
Jake
Technical Support

Return to Suggestions & Feedback