Good service LOUSY software

Have a great idea? We'd love to hear it! Want to share the story of how Fongo is saving you money? This is the place to do it!
TheHardy
***Übergod***
SIP Device Name: FPL PC softphone (buggy)
Firmware Version: 3.0.3.0
ISP Name: Telus Optik
Computer OS: Win7
Router: Actiontec V1000H
Smartphone Model: none

Post by TheHardy »

I like FPL. I have supported it since day 1 (from when I started using it). However, as I am just getting back into the workforce and NEVER had a home phone for years and years, and currently OWE a lot on my former cell, my FPL is all I have.

And the Windows softphone/software is CRAP, pure out and out CRAP. Even when it is the ONLY software running, it causes LOCK UPS and occassionally CRASHES of my Win7 machine. It is the only software that currently does so. I have virus scanned, installed latest JAVA, cleaned up HDD etc, and it is still doing so.

Among the behaviors:
Leaving it on, either foreground, or minimized for HOURS at a time, it FREEZES up -- about 20% of the time.
Incoming calls -- if it has been IDLE for quite a while, I have REAL CRAP audio on incoming call (not to mention, no incoming CID!). Takes 20-30 secs before "they can hear me and I can hear them". HOWEVER, if I find out who it is, hang up IMMEDIATELY and call them back (*NOTE*), the audio is passible!
Stops responding - no buttons work. Cannot hang up, sometimes cannot close window, no key input whatsoever. Happens if I place a call or accept an incoming. ANNOYING. Requires close of window (forced mostly) and sometimes REBOOT to get back on the server.

NOTE-sometimes "call right back" is a few mins as the software locks/crashes, or I need to reboot the machine.

I am not a programmer, but the losing response, laggy/crap audio and stuff seem to be programming issues -- I know that the CID is, as the Budphone app works correctly. Also has less lag on incoming calls. Have not tested leaving it OPEN for long periods, as my main number that I use is on NATIVE FPL software.

I think that we are REALLY REALLY overdue for a bug-fix to 3.0.3.0 ....

I for one would LOVE to even beta-test something that would HAVE to be more stable than this iteration!
Hardy - Surrey, BC ~~ increasingly disgruntled FPL user ... comon, fix your stuff!
driver/webmaster - INCARTA Professional Delivery & Moving -- http://www.incarta.ca 604-594-7126
seagame2001
Tried and True
SIP Device Name: Linksys PAP2T
Firmware Version: Groundwire
ISP Name: 3web
Computer OS: Windows 7
Router: Dlink-DD-WRT
Smartphone Model: iPhone 4
iOS Version: 5.1.1

Re: Good service LOUSY software

Post by seagame2001 »

Well you got what you paid for right

Why don't you buy config file and get linksys ATA then your problem is fix

But I see you have Windmobile service is very slow LOL

Anyway I hope you will find your way out LOL
TheHardy
***Übergod***

Post by TheHardy »

seagame2001 wrote:Well you got what you paid for right
I did at that. Having said that, however, does not change the fact that the software is rather buggy in it's own right. The memory-hog issues, and the instability are part of the package ... and it does not make it much of a selling feature for getting the customer hooked on the service. That is unless you are trying to FRUSTRATE the customer into buying a config file to use an ATA or a 3rd party softphone... (and maybe that is the end-game out of it all...???)
seagame2001 wrote:Why don't you buy config file and get linksys ATA then your problem is fix
As above ... hard for me to say that this service is BULLET PROOF and spend the moolah -- hard to evaluate the actual SERVICE when the SOFTWARE is buggy. I know that with most of the reviews and insight from other users that there are also a few issues with the service via ATA/3rd party software, but no where as many as with the FPL software. I do know that the budphone app (and supposedly some of the other-branded FPL-supported softphones) function slightly better, so the reason for NOT updating/bug-fixing their OWN flagship software is just totally absolutely 100% beyond me ... ????
seagame2001 wrote:But I see you have Windmobile service is very slow LOL
Cheap no-contract ISP for right now. There have been times where it is SO horrid that I can barely even maintain an EMAIL connection, but I am in a good service area (GENERALLY) so my speed is right where I need it ....

As I stated, if I REBOOT my machine, load the FPL software and INITIATE the call, I am fine --- I may not be able to HANG-UP at the end of the call as the software has STOPPED responding, but the call works fine. Trying to make a call after the software has been up and running for a while may sometimes result in a slightly garbled first few seconds, or a non-responsive dialpad, which then results in a reboot/reload (and things are good). Leaving the software RUNNING and expecting an INCOMING call is where it all falls apart .... almost ALL incoming calls, unless they are RIGHT after a reboot and while I am doing NOTHING, either go right to voicemail, or the software is pooched when I switch to it ... almost ALL (80+%) of incoming calls have NON-responsive audio for the first 15-20 seconds, and then a bit of garbled -- when I can actually ANSWER the call, that is. And in the case of INCOMING calls, the softphone is darn near ALWAYS (99%) non-responsive to ANY keyboard/mouse input at the conclusion of the call, which requires a software shutdown, and then usually a reboot to place the next call successfully.

Needless to say, I reboot a lot ... lol

And that _HAS_ to be a software issue -- even if it is NOT the FPL software directly, then it is the FPL software not playing nice with OTHER software, which again is a SOFTWARE problem.

<sigh> You are correct -- I am certainly getting what I am paying for! :-)
Hardy - Surrey, BC ~~ increasingly disgruntled FPL user ... comon, fix your stuff!
driver/webmaster - INCARTA Professional Delivery & Moving -- http://www.incarta.ca 604-594-7126
seagame2001
Tried and True
SIP Device Name: Linksys PAP2T
Firmware Version: Groundwire
ISP Name: 3web
Computer OS: Windows 7
Router: Dlink-DD-WRT
Smartphone Model: iPhone 4
iOS Version: 5.1.1

Post by seagame2001 »

Why don't you try third party softphone

they maybe better than FPL softphone
TheHardy
***Übergod***

Post by TheHardy »

seagame2001 wrote:Why don't you try third party softphone

they maybe better than FPL softphone
At this stage, my software evaluation of the FPL softphone is that ANYTHING would have to be better. However, to get the settings to USE a 3rd party softphone would require an investment (albeit small) into FPL --- and while I think that all my complaints and issues are software related, I would hate to find out I was wrong after parting with my hard-earned money!

I will re-evaluate my position on this once I make it into the new year -- I have only been back to work for just over a month, and the backlog of unpaid bills is just too large to free up any cash at this point -- mortgage, hydro, food and transportation are about all I am paying right now, and that food budget is all bargain-bin Walmart cheapy food (what IS real meat? there's other food than 67c no-name mac&cheese? ...)

:-)