Voice Mail Waiting Indicator - Email Notification

Have a great idea? We'd love to hear it! Want to share the story of how Fongo is saving you money? This is the place to do it!
VoipDiy
Just Passing Thru
SIP Device Name: SPA2102,SPA504,SPA508,3CXPhone
ISP Name: Shaw
Computer OS: Windows 7
Router: Cisco E3000, EA6500

Voice Mail Waiting Indicator - Email Notification

Post by VoipDiy »

I recently signed up with Dell Voice by Fongo and then purchased the VoIP Unlock Key for SIP access.
I have successfully connected my Cisco SPA504G 4-Line IP-Phone to the sip.fongo.com servers, and it is generally working very good.

However, Voice Mail Waiting Indicator - MWI - that flashes a light on the VoIP phone when there is a new voice mail waiting to be checked, does not work using Dell Voice Fongo service. My MWI light is working Ok on my other VoIP lines on this phone - it's only Dell Voice Fongo mail that does not activate the MWI light.

Is this feature enabled in the Dell Voice Fongo service?
I can't find any setting for this via my Dell Voice account control panel.
It would be great if Voice Mail Waiting notification feature worked on my SPA504G IP-Phone. I guess this is my feature suggestion request, if it doesn't yet exist.

It would very handy and useful if there were also a feature in the Dell Voice account control panel to "enable" email notifications of voice mail waiting. My other BYOD VoIP providers have this feature.
It would be great if Dell Voice and Fongo were to implement this feature with the SIP VoIP service.
Jeff - voipdiy
CSCO
Active Poster

Re: Voice Mail Waiting Indicator - Email Notification

Post by CSCO »

Welcome and I'm glad to see a fellow user from the west. For #2, I have mine setup so that it copies me a voicemail and send to my email. I believe this option should satisfy your requirements.

App settings - settings - voicemail settings - voicemail to email (copy). Sometimes I listen to it on my cell phone when I'm not at home as it attaches the file.
Jake
Technical Support

Post by Jake »

CSCO wrote:Welcome and I'm glad to see a fellow user from the west. For #2, I have mine setup so that it copies me a voicemail and send to my email. I believe this option should satisfy your requirements.

App settings - settings - voicemail settings - voicemail to email (copy). Sometimes I listen to it on my cell phone when I'm not at home as it attaches the file.

He mentions he has DellVoice and that currently doesn't have the email voicemail feature. FreePhoneLine does, but not DellVoice.

The MWI is a waste of time IMO. It is supposed to work, it is there, but there is such a delay between a message being left or read to the MWI changing that it makes it difficult to know where you are.
mitwtim
Quiet One
SIP Device Name: Linksys PAP2T-NA
Firmware Version: 5.1.6(LS)
ISP Name: Rogers
Router: Linksys WRT160N with DD-WRT

Post by mitwtim »

Jake wrote:
CSCO wrote:The MWI is a waste of time IMO. It is supposed to work, it is there, but there is such a delay between a message being left or read to the MWI changing that it makes it difficult to know where you are.

(Jake, I think we are saying the same thing)
The MWI would be very useful if it actually worked! For some reason it went from bad (10 minute delay, due to the way they poll for updates, instead of it being like a switch that gets triggered when a voicemail is left) to worse in the past few months where it either gets stuck on, or doesn't ever turn on. That is probably the biggest thing we have missed since moving our Home Phone number over to this service. If it really isn't a priority for most people, you would think that it wouldn't be that hard to turn it off for everyone and then have only the people that want to use it opt-in. If they don't want to do a full redesign, that would at least lessen the load, wouldn't it?