Toll-free number is blocked

Have a great idea? We'd love to hear it! Want to share the story of how Fongo is saving you money? This is the place to do it!

Toll-free number is blocked

Postby jchen » 11/27/2012

1-700-555-4141 is a toll free number, used to check what is the current long distance carrier. However it is blocked by Fongo. We always get "this call is not covered by the tariff plan" when making calls to that number from Fongo/FPL phone line.
jchen
Quiet One

SIP Device Name: FPL softphone
Firmware Version: 2.2.0.0
ISP Name: Uniserver
Computer OS: XP

Re: Toll-free number is blocked

Postby tbrummell » 11/28/2012

Carrier is determined by dialing pattern when dealing with a pbx/soft switch. So, you're theory here is flawed. I could send that number over 1 of several trunk providers that I have, then it's up to them to send it to one of their carriers. So, with your thinking, it would only determine what carrier your provider (FPL/Fongo/DV) has decided to send the call to. Dialing 1-613-555-1234 does not mean it will go to the same carrier. I see no reason why this number is needed.
tbrummell
Tried and True

SIP Device Name: PIAF/Mitel/PolyCom/Cisco
Firmware Version: Asterisk 1.8
ISP Name: Rogers
Computer OS: CentOS/Windows2008/Win7/Android
Router: pfSense/Neoware thin client

Re: Toll-free number is blocked

Postby tbrummell » 11/28/2012

You had me intrigued as to what the purpose of this number really was, and now I know. Thanks to Wikipedia:

"One number provided by all carriers in area code 700 is 700-555-4141, which plays a recording identifying the carrier handling long distance and international calls. While this will not work with most cellular and VOIP systems (where the long distance carrier is part of the primary service) this identification may help traditional land line consumers who have been fraudulently slammed into a new carrier."

What I stated still stands though, as a service provider, FPL can route whatever number they want to whichever carrier they want. This number is used for POTS customers to determine their LD carrier.
tbrummell
Tried and True

SIP Device Name: PIAF/Mitel/PolyCom/Cisco
Firmware Version: Asterisk 1.8
ISP Name: Rogers
Computer OS: CentOS/Windows2008/Win7/Android
Router: pfSense/Neoware thin client

Return to Suggestions & Feedback