Ring the PC speaker

Have a great idea? We'd love to hear it! Want to share the story of how Fongo is saving you money? This is the place to do it!
ZonK
Just Passing Thru

Ring the PC speaker

Post by ZonK »

Most people use headsets when calling.
But when the headset is plugged in you cannot hear the phone/computer ring when a call is coming in.
You need to allow the softphone to be able to also ring either the PC speaker or another sound output (such as the built in sound card.)

I would give out my freephoneline number for people to call if I could actually hear when someone was calling me.
Right now if I am not in front of the computer with my headset on I usually miss the call.
FONGO_kris
Site Moderator
SIP Device Name: Polycom 550 IP Phone
Firmware Version: 4.2.0.0310
ISP Name: Rogers Cable
Computer OS: Ubuntu 11.10
Router: Cisco E1200-N
Smartphone Model: Samsung Galaxy S2
Android Version: 4.0.3

Re: Ring the PC speaker

Post by FONGO_kris »

Thanks for the notification, I wasn't aware this was an issue! It may be the newer version - I'll open a bug and get it resolved ASAP.
Kris
Logistics & International Purchasing | Fongo
Call us toll-free! 611 from your fongo phone or 1-855-836-3355
Please advise I will no longer be contributing to this forum for the time being. Please feel free to email me.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Samsung Galaxy S2 [GT-I9100] / 3.0.15-I9100XXLPH / Thebyani v3.2
ZonK
Just Passing Thru

Post by ZonK »

I should clearify that this is with the softphone software version 2.2.2.0

They allow you to change the ring type but also having an alternate ring device such as the PC speaker or second sound card would make the software much more useful and more like a actual telephone.

Thanks.
zonk
Timmi
Quiet One
SIP Device Name: DLink DPH-540 WiFi sip phone
ISP Name: bell/sympatico fibre
Computer OS: Linux Mint, Windoze ekspee
Router: 2WIRE 2701HG-G

Post by Timmi »

I agree.

Whenever away from my laptop, I usually unplug the plug from the speaker-out jack. However, I do express concern that this will inevitably wear out the jack and as often happens, end up having a bad connection there. So for this reason, it is definitely required.

Also, please make it compatible with the PC SPEAKER. More and more people use laptops, so they don't actually physically have a speaker/buzzer on a soundcard to speak of - only the standard PC speaker. (and you'll also avoid the whole can of worms of soundcard compatibility issues to maintain - k.i.s.s.)
Timmi
Quiet One
SIP Device Name: DLink DPH-540 WiFi sip phone
ISP Name: bell/sympatico fibre
Computer OS: Linux Mint, Windoze ekspee
Router: 2WIRE 2701HG-G

Post by Timmi »

As a follow-up to my last post, my jack isn't working too well anymore, from too frequent plugging and plugging... it was bound to happen. Any new on this? I did order a USB stick with a sound card in it (to replace the broken jack) but there is definitely a hardware conflict as the sound toggles on and off constantly with it plugged in.

So, let us reiterate, that ringing the pc speaker/buzzer or whatever you may want to call it is definitely of great use.