Freephoneline Set Up Question....

Have a great idea? We'd love to hear it! Want to share the story of how Fongo is saving you money? This is the place to do it!

Freephoneline Set Up Question....

Postby Bohannan » 03/16/2013

So, this is what I was thinking. Download the FreePhoneLine program for the PC. Here's the part where I need veterans of FPL to see if my idea would work.

1. Insert USB blue tooth dongle into USB port on computer.
2. Purchase the Panasonic KXTG7733S with Blue Tooth ability.

Set up the Panasonic phones to connect with my blue tooth dongle. The question is.... would that work?

The phones are currently on sale for $89 so... figured it was pretty cheap for 3 cordless phones.

Thoughts??
Bohannan
Just Passing Thru

SIP Device Name: iPhone 4 - Deactivated
Firmware Version: 6.0.1
ISP Name: Shaw
Computer OS: Windows 7

Re: Freephoneline Set Up Question....

Postby Jake » 03/16/2013

I would suggest it wont work.

Both time you connect blue tooth it looks like you will be connecting from a communication device to an ear piece. It wont work to connect two phone devices together IMO. I don't know what BT functions the phone has, but I would see it as though you were trying to plug a speaker and mic into both your computer and phone - expecting one to control the other. It would also mean you would have to leave your computer on all the time - and the desktop app has an unsteady past (I think think I am being unfair when I say this)

Personally I would always recommend to buy the config file (unlock key) and buy an ATA. This would cost you around 100$ +tax all told. You then have a free phone for life, calling a lot of Canada for free. All you need is working internet. You can plug any phone you like into it, so you might be able to find a phone set for less.

Again, without digging into the phone's BT functions this is how I see it, but I suspect it is just to connect to a headset. I can't see how it will connect or control properly a program on a computer (assuming this is what you are trying to do).
Jake
Technical Support

Postby lustucru » 03/16/2013

FPL desktop application doesn't give an option to select which audio device to choose. This device needs to be selected in the Microsoft Windows configuration panel.

Found an alternative for Fongo home phone, but did not try BT.

I set up the Follow Me option to forward simultaneously to SendMyCall local virtual number and configured the virtual PBX to forward the call to Skype or GoogleTalk. All my home phone sets will ring and I can use the Logitech wireless headset to answer the calls if I'm close to the PC.

The setting will work while the PC is ON.
lustucru
Technical Support

SIP Device Name: Grandstream HT-286
Firmware Version: 1.1.0.45
ISP Name: Bell Fibe 300/300
Computer OS: Windows 7 Pro 64 bits
Router: Bell hub 1000
Smartphone Model: Moto E
Android Version: Android 6.0

Postby Bohannan » 03/16/2013

That's brilliant! Quick question though about the Call Forwarding aka Follow Me option..... does it show up as a "Regular Call" as if they were calling you directly to that number or does it show up as "Forwarded From (your number)" Hope that question made sense.
Bohannan
Just Passing Thru

SIP Device Name: iPhone 4 - Deactivated
Firmware Version: 6.0.1
ISP Name: Shaw
Computer OS: Windows 7

Postby Jake » 03/16/2013

Bohannan wrote:That's brilliant! Quick question though about the Call Forwarding aka Follow Me option..... does it show up as a "Regular Call" as if they were calling you directly to that number or does it show up as "Forwarded From (your number)" Hope that question made sense.

Fongo (FPL) will pass on the original callers ID details, so it will be as though they called your forwarded number directly. ('Regular Call' in your two options)
Jake
Technical Support

Postby lustucru » 03/17/2013

The original Caller_Id will not show up with Skype and GoogleTalk.

Skype will show "Virtual_Number" and GoogleTalk "Didgtalk".

However, you will see the original caller_id's in the virtual PBX history.

If you want to know who is calling before picking up the phone, download "Callalert!" freeware from http://www.ivrsoft.com but you need to connect your ATA to a fax modem. This will display a large pop up winodw with caller's name and phone number on your screen. Not sure if this software works on Windows 7 (I use it on Windows XP Professional).
lustucru
Technical Support

SIP Device Name: Grandstream HT-286
Firmware Version: 1.1.0.45
ISP Name: Bell Fibe 300/300
Computer OS: Windows 7 Pro 64 bits
Router: Bell hub 1000
Smartphone Model: Moto E
Android Version: Android 6.0

Return to Suggestions & Feedback