DID for Incoming only?

Have a great idea? We'd love to hear it! Want to share the story of how Fongo is saving you money? This is the place to do it!
abelitin
Just Passing Thru
SIP Device Name: LinkSys PAP2
Firmware Version: 5.1.6(LS)
ISP Name: Youmano
Computer OS: Windows 7
Router: 2Wire

DID for Incoming only?

Post by abelitin »

(I tried searching the forums, but found nothing, I swear!).

Hi,

Please, correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think FPL (or any of Fibernetics' cos) offers Incoming DIDs only. The service that they have been announcing for +1 (prob +2) year now on the welcome page that would cost 99c would be for an extra number to call our already registered account, but not a purely receiving one, right?

I guess what I am trying to say is that it would probably make sense if they offered a DID only for incoming calls, like IPKall and CallCentric do in the USA for some areas, (which could be free, or charged a nominal monthly amount of, say, $1). That would help them generate termination revenue, and then users could add some credit if they ever want to make calls (including to the current free cities, since this would be marketed as INCOMING only). And, in case anyone wonders, I am referring to a full functional DID, which we could configure in our ATA's, not one in a softphone.

On a side note, I never got any notification, but the Windows client for Dell Voice is no longer working, and there is none for Fongo, correct? In other words, Fongo (ex Dell Voice) now works only on mobile platforms (Windows Phone 8 excluded, unfortunately).

Thanks

Abel
46jimbo
Active Poster
SIP Device Name: Grandstream 286
Router: Asus RT-N13U Rev.B1

Re: DID for Incoming only?

Post by 46jimbo »

You can set up a free DID with freephoneline.ca and then have the calls forwarded to another number. You can also use it for voicemail and have the messages sent to your email.
abelitin
Just Passing Thru

Post by abelitin »

Yes, but that doesnt work for me, because I need to be able to use it with an ATA, and ring an actual phone (or rather, route the call via an ATA gateway).

But thanks for replying anyway...

Abel
Jake
Technical Support

Post by Jake »

The extra number thing was, as you say, a tack on to an account. As far as I know this could have been added to a free account (softphone only) or a paid account (with a config file). I imagine it probably fell to the side though once they started to allow people to forward from DellVoice to FPL. This basically allows you to set up a new account (with another number) and forward it to a free or paid account. Which comes down to the same as what they were going to charge $0.99 for.

If you already have a FPL account, paid or not, and you need another number in another area - then just set up a new account and forward the new number to your old one. This will effectively make it an incoming only DID.

The only thing that seems to have been left out however was the promise of numbers in others areas, like the US. But hey, the amount I have saved over the last 3+ years, if I need to I could buy/rent a number without breaking into much sweat. :)
Funkytown
Technical Support
SIP Device Name: Cisco SPA112
Firmware Version: 1.4.1 (SR5) Oct 14 2
ISP Name: Cik Telecom
Computer OS: Windows 10
Router: Zyxel EMG2926
Smartphone Model: LG G8 Thinq
Android Version: Android Q

Post by Funkytown »

Also to make note of.

Forwarding a free or paid Freephoneline, Clearpointel or Fongo to another number free or paid Freephoneline, Clearpointel or Fongo, i remember this had never worked for me like around 2 years ago, unless they changed this.
lustucru
Technical Support
SIP Device Name: Grandstream HT-286
Firmware Version: 1.1.0.45
ISP Name: Bell Fibe 300/300
Computer OS: Windows 7 Pro 64 bits
Router: Bell hub 1000
Smartphone Model: Moto E
Android Version: Android 6.0

Post by lustucru »

I use Follow Me Simultaneous option to forward my Fongo home phone calls to SendMyCall DID local number (that is forwarded to Skype) and I can answer incoming calls from any home phone set or by clicking the Skype Answer button and using wireless headsets.
abelitin
Just Passing Thru

Post by abelitin »

Thank you all for replying, but I guess I did not explain myself properly. Here's the thing:

I have an ATA with the VoIP unlock key I bought almost 3 years ago (btw, thank you FPL for having spared me a few hundred, maybe even a couple of thousand, dollars inasmuch as I don't have to pay an exorbitant amount to one of the big companies for a home phone I barely use to call out). That's my home phone, which I mostly use to forward my cell phone to it when I'm home, since the ringer is usually off and I'd miss my calls otherwise :-)

But I've recently come to need a second number that would be used just for incoming calls, to route it out via an SPA3102 gateway on another PSTN line, *not* related to my home phone. In other words, I just need an incoming DID number that I can call and then the gateway will 'continue' the call out through the PSTN. But for that, I need SIP credentials that, granted, I could still obtain for $50 + tax for life, but I'd rather pay a nominal amount monthly. I started using a US number via CallCentric (free, for some ratecentres in NY state), but I'd like a local number. So I ended up buying an unmetered incoming DID number from another supplier. I only pay about $1.50 monthly for unlimited IN calls to the number, and if I want to call out, I'd have to add funds to the account, otherwise, the call is not even attempted.

I guess my point is that for those cases, it would be nice if FPL had a similar option: I buy an incoming DID, pay a nominal amount per month, and if I want to make outgoing calls (to *any* city, either 'free' or not), I'd have to add funds to the account. I'd very much rather get this from FPL, with whom I have a rather long and steady relationship, than from a foreign company.

In other words, I guess I'm talking about a different product offer here that I think is missing and could give some revenue to FPL...

On a side note, I did have a (formerly) DV number in another area that forwarded to my home phone, but that is not working at the moment, nor has it worked for the past couple of months or so. I figured they had just discontinued this practice, so if they haven't, I'll try to get in touch with support. (BTW, could anyone confirm if the DV Windows softphone no longer works?)

Thanks again.

Abel.
Jake
Technical Support

Post by Jake »

Ah OK, so what you are looking for is a separate DID for incoming calls only, routed to a different phone than your normal house phone. I think we were all missing the 'different phone' bit.

The extra DID that FPL have been saying is coming in 201X would be just another number to call to get to your current FPL number; so I don't think it would have been right for you anyway.

To be honest, it sound like you have done your homework and got the best option right now. It would be good to keep everything in house, but then again separating it different companies builds in some kind of redundancy which is always good.
Funkytown
Technical Support
SIP Device Name: Cisco SPA112
Firmware Version: 1.4.1 (SR5) Oct 14 2
ISP Name: Cik Telecom
Computer OS: Windows 10
Router: Zyxel EMG2926
Smartphone Model: LG G8 Thinq
Android Version: Android Q

Post by Funkytown »

abelitin wrote: I have an ATA SPA3102 with the VoIP unlock key I bought almost 3 years ago
I just need an incoming DID number that I can call and then the gateway will 'continue' the call out through the PSTN.
Ok, think I now understand what your saying, I think a second number is required on your second line of the Spa3102 which then can be forwarded to where ever you want in the free calling areas as long as you have the right forwarding "dial plan" configured on your second line?

Something like this? https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2021653