short buzzing noise when I pick up phone

Have a question or problem with your Fongo application? This forum is the place to get help from both staff and fellow community members.
Fongo recommends Fongo Home Phone for a fully supported Home Phone system for only $4.95/mo
Maxwell Smart
Quiet One
SIP Device Name: Obihai 100
Firmware Version: 1.3.0 (Build: 2886)
ISP Name: Teksavvy
Computer OS: Windows 10 (64 bit)
Router: SmartRG 515AC
Smartphone Model: Samsung S6
Android Version: 7.0

short buzzing noise when I pick up phone

Post by Maxwell Smart »

When my phone rings, and I pick it up, I hear through the phone's earpiece a quick 1-2 second loud buzzing noise, and thereafter, the call works perfectly fine. I didn't have this problem when I originally used the FPL assigned phone number but only later when that FPL number got changed over to my old home phone number (got ported over to FPL). I use an OBI-100 ATA device. The buzz happens regardless if I use a corded or cordless phone. Any ideas if this buzzing problem can be fixed? Thanks. Other than that, I am very pleased with the FPL service. :D
Maxwell Smart
Quiet One

Re: short buzzing noise when I pick up phone

Post by Maxwell Smart »

Ok, I think I solved this on my own... the short 1 second buzz noise I hear is caused by me picking up the phone during mid-ring, and the ring voltage gets erroneously transferred from the phone's ringer to the earpiece of the phone. Some say the solution is to play around with the OBI's ATA's ring pattern, so I shall play around with that setting. :ugeek:
Maxwell Smart
Quiet One

Re: short buzzing noise when I pick up phone

Post by Maxwell Smart »

Success. Initially I had used the recommended settings from Freephoneline to put my ATA (OBi100) at a Ring Tone Frequency of 52 and Ring Tone Voltage at 90. By going back to my ATA's defaults of RingFrequency: 20 and RingVoltage: 70, I now no longer get the buzzing problem when I pick up the phone.

Fyi, with the OBI100, this is under the user settings section of "Physical Interfaces, Phone Port, Ringer".

Hopefully this info may help others with the Obi. :-)