Freephoneline Down

Have a question or problem with your Fongo application? This forum is the place to get help from both staff and fellow community members.
Fongo recommends Fongo Home Phone for a fully supported Home Phone system for only $4.95/mo
nakuls
Just Passing Thru
SIP Device Name: Linksys SPA 2102
Firmware Version: 5.2.12
ISP Name: Primus DSL
Computer OS: Windows 7 x64
Router: DIR-625 and RT-N16 (bridged)

Re: Freephoneline Down

Post by nakuls »

In Brampton, mine is not working. 905-xxx-xxxx
Registration state - Failed (On SIP info page, SPA2102). I don't know if it was working yesterday didn't use the phone yesterday lol
Funkytown
Technical Support
SIP Device Name: Cisco SPA112
Firmware Version: 1.4.1 (SR5) Oct 14 2
ISP Name: Cik Telecom
Computer OS: Windows 10
Router: Zyxel EMG2926
Smartphone Model: LG G8 Thinq
Android Version: Android Q

Post by Funkytown »

nakuls wrote:In Brampton, mine is not working. 905-xxx-xxxx
Registration state - Failed (On SIP info page, SPA2102). I don't know if it was working yesterday didn't use the phone yesterday lol
Can you please *power off* all your devices (modem, router, voip adapter) for one min and then turn them all back on to see if your phone works? This should help you reconnect to Freephoneline servers.
nakuls
Just Passing Thru
SIP Device Name: Linksys SPA 2102
Firmware Version: 5.2.12
ISP Name: Primus DSL
Computer OS: Windows 7 x64
Router: DIR-625 and RT-N16 (bridged)

Post by nakuls »

Funkytown wrote:
Can you please *power off* all your devices (modem, router, voip adapter) for one min and then turn them all back on to see if your phone works? This should help you reconnect to Freephoneline servers.
Thanks I tried that at the time of posting, unsuccessfully. however I just checked and it is registered and calls working now.
Funkytown
Technical Support
SIP Device Name: Cisco SPA112
Firmware Version: 1.4.1 (SR5) Oct 14 2
ISP Name: Cik Telecom
Computer OS: Windows 10
Router: Zyxel EMG2926
Smartphone Model: LG G8 Thinq
Android Version: Android Q

Post by Funkytown »

nakuls wrote:
Funkytown wrote:
Thanks I tried that at the time of posting, unsuccessfully. however I just checked and it is registered and calls working now.
I'm glad to see it working. ;)
user451
Active Poster
SIP Device Name: SPA2102
Firmware Version: 5.2.13(004)
ISP Name: Teksavvy Express Cable
Router: Dir-601 DD-WRT

Post by user451 »

6:14pm

Well it was still down last night after 10pm. This morning it was back.

Still no word on what happened. And no email response. Just a new post with contact info

http://forum.fongo.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=7624
realinvestor
Just Passing Thru
SIP Device Name: PAP2T
Firmware Version: 5.1.6(LS)
ISP Name: Cable
Computer OS: Windows XP
Router: Asus 240 Mimo

Post by realinvestor »

The phone rings but when I pick up the other person can here, but I get a dead sound.
Toronto @ 9:45 p.m.
awan
Active Poster
SIP Device Name: Softphone/Linksys3102/SPA2100
ISP Name: ACANAC

Post by awan »

Try rebooting the router and the ata. mine is still working fine
cyber062
Just Passing Thru
SIP Device Name: Obi110
Firmware Version: 1.3.0 (Build: 2744)
ISP Name: Ebox
Computer OS: Windows 7 Professionnal
Router: Linksys E3200
Smartphone Model: Iphone 4
iOS Version: 5.1.1

Post by cyber062 »

Register Failed: No Response From Server (server=208.65.240.165:5060)

Montreal 00:00 18/01/2013
radio
Quiet One
SIP Device Name: SPA112 - PAP2T
Firmware Version: 1.2.1 - 5.1.6
ISP Name: RGRS
Computer OS: 7/64
Router: Tomato - DDWRT

Post by radio »

Everything has been up and solid so far.
Maxwell Smart
Quiet One
SIP Device Name: Obihai 100
Firmware Version: 1.3.0 (Build: 2886)
ISP Name: Teksavvy
Computer OS: Windows 10 (64 bit)
Router: SmartRG 515AC
Smartphone Model: Samsung S6
Android Version: 7.0

Post by Maxwell Smart »

Works fine for me in Ottawa... keeps registered. :-)
shawn122
Quiet One
SIP Device Name: Obi100
Firmware Version: 1.3.0 (Build: 2765)
ISP Name: Bell - DSL
Computer OS: Windows 7
Router: Netgear WNDR4000

Post by shawn122 »

Everything is okay with me as well...Whitby, Ontario
billcanada
Quiet One
SIP Device Name: OBi200
ISP Name: Rogers
Router: Hitron CGN3

Post by billcanada »

I'm in Mississauga. My lines have been down for a week and a half now. I have unplugged and replugged my adapter and modem/router many times with no luck.
awan
Active Poster

Post by awan »

Just ranting and whining will not help you, I am a happy user using this service from the beginning days. Yesterday I was looking at my bills and I was able to pay off one of my CC just because of cutting down on the monthly drain of the huge land line fees i was paying to my previous big name provider and on top of that no phone support, had to wait atleast 30 minutes on ph to get help and all the rep of that companies made me do was reboot or call my ph faulty. ( the problem was that the caller id was intermittent and they charged me for all that random erratic service)

there has been a discussion on opening of the ports, you need to set port forward on your router for 5060-6061 and 13000 - 13001

Some pf the devices are not registering, what I think is due to the router not routing.

Try this for testing, load the FPL software on your computer and see if you can make and receive calls, (the ATA should be powered off). If this testing works then definitely it is the local issue between your router and the ATA not partnering properly.

This forum is full of many good users who will be willing to help you
billcanada
Quiet One

Post by billcanada »

Ranting and whining? You are ridiculous. We are talking about freephoneline working and then not working all of a sudden. My ports are open. Nothing changed on my end. You think it's just a coincidence that all these people are having issues at the same time? I hope your line is the next one to go down for over a week and then we'll see who's ranting and whining. Wake up.
awan wrote:Just ranting and whining will not help you, I am a happy user using this service from the beginning days. Yesterday I was looking at my bills and I was able to pay off one of my CC just because of cutting down on the monthly drain of the huge land line fees i was paying to my previous big name provider and on top of that no phone support, had to wait atleast 30 minutes on ph to get help and all the rep of that companies made me do was reboot or call my ph faulty. ( the problem was that the caller id was intermittent and they charged me for all that random erratic service)

there has been a discussion on opening of the ports, you need to set port forward on your router for 5060-6061 and 13000 - 13001

Some pf the devices are not registering, what I think is due to the router not routing.

Try this for testing, load the FPL software on your computer and see if you can make and receive calls, (the ATA should be powered off). If this testing works then definitely it is the local issue between your router and the ATA not partnering properly.

This forum is full of many good users who will be willing to help you
tbrummell
Tried and True
SIP Device Name: PIAF/Mitel/PolyCom/Cisco
Firmware Version: Asterisk 1.8
Computer OS: CentOS/Windows2008/Win7/Android
Router: pfSense/Neoware thin client

Post by tbrummell »

awan wrote:
And advice like this gets you in trouble. A *properly working SIP set up* does not need 5060 opened. When the device registers, and re-registers it keeps the NAT translation in your router open to the server. 5060 only needs to be forwarded if your router is a POS (Piece of Shiat). Or if you run some type of SIP server (Asterisk, FreeSwitch, various Windows flavours) and want to be able to use phones that are external to your network.

13000-13001 are used for the softphone, if you don't use it, don't forwarded them. And since neither brand of the softphone works properly anyway, why would you use it? Using it as a testing tool doesn't prove much, since it uses proprietary technology.

You forgot RTP, of anything, that would be the one that should be forwarded as routers don't handle it as well at all.
awan
Active Poster

Post by awan »

No need to be angry, I am sharing my real experience and some of the folks helped to bring restoration to my line. my phone line was working without any disruption then I decided to port my land line too and switched my device to SPA2100 from SPA3102, and that was just to minimize the wire clutter. SPA2100 supports two lines. now this was working fine till that last outage happened in dec over holidays. FPL has made some change that they have not shared, the device stopped working/registering, I was in a situation just you guys are now. I am not using a garbage router. after some help from others here in this forum, I figured that opening these ports worked. I have not given 2nd thought on the why 6061 or 13000 etc . and the device is working.

Now few days back when I had time I took my SPA3102 out and plugged in put the router back to factory def (no port forwarding), this linksys spa3102 works without any port forwarding.

The SPA2100 I have to do the port forwarding to make it work.

both have the latest firmware, the only difference I see is that SPA3102 has a UDP option while there is no such option in spa2100, or may be my spa2100 is malfunction

We are not here to blame each other or challenge, nor I am fpl, we all learn from each others experience.
Jake
Technical Support

Post by Jake »

billcanada wrote:Ranting and whining? You are ridiculous. We are talking about freephoneline working and then not working all of a sudden. My ports are open. Nothing changed on my end. You think it's just a coincidence that all these people are having issues at the same time? I hope your line is the next one to go down for over a week and then we'll see who's ranting and whining. Wake up.
I can't help feeling you need to take a look at how your system is set up. To be down for 10 days is a bit more than a glitch.

They have not said as much (and this is all what I have made up in my head), but I believe Fongo have been setting up load balancing servers and in doing so there has been large chunks of customers that suddenly get interruptions. At a bare minimum they have certainly changed the IP of the DNS server that handles the sip registrations (sip.fongo.com, voip.freephoneline.ca, etc). This alone would have fouled a lot of people up because if the ATA had resolved the IP of the sip server as 1.2.3.4, but then they change it - the ATA might not know about it until the DNS server and cache of their router/ISP/Network works out it is not there anymore. I have seen some DNS servers take 24 hours to start resolving the correct IP, so I can see how a lot of people were having problems for a while mainly because the ATA was probably trying to look in the wrong place.

I have friends who are just using a PAP2T and although their service went down like most, it has now come back up and they are able to use their phone. You need to look more into why your system is not working. Voip can be finicky and just saying it doesn't work will not get it fixed, not around here anyway. It is not like Rogers or Bell where if your phone goes down they will send out an engineer, you have to try and fix it yourself. If 100% (or even 70%) of the people here were complaining about not having a phone for 10 days, then it is a good bet that it's Fongo's side. Most are complaining about the system dropping out during the day and coming back up after a reboot (this is probably a router problem), you however are saying you have not had a phone system for 10 days - that is a different matter.

You say that nothing has changed on your end. Something has changed somewhere - you need to find out where and do some fault finding. Find out what the error is. Is it an authentication error? connection error? hardware error? Have you taken your ATA to a friends house to try? Have you set your ATA in the DMZ (JUST FOR TESTING) on your router? Bypassed your router and stuck it straight in your modem?

For you, something has to change, or I don't think you are going to get things fixed. Fongo is not going to send an engineer, and if the vast majority of their customers are using their system, they are just going to assume (rightly or wrongly) things are OK their end in the most part. They do keep doing things, I will give you that, and their tactic seems to be to hunker in a bunker until the storm passes :? but you have some major failure if your line has not come up once in the past 10 days even after multiple reboots.
Jake
Technical Support

Post by Jake »

BillCanada, I have just noticed in your details that you are using an old firmware in your PAP2T
Firmware Version: 3.1.12(LS)
You would be best advised to update this to the latest version 5.1.6(LS). I remember a long time ago someone else was having big problems with FPL, updating the firmware fixed their problems.

**Edit** I just see now you have a pap2, not a pap2t. Although this press release http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_i ... V5-1-6.pdf from Cisco states that 5.1.6 is the latest for both ATAs, it seems that in this thread https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2021557 they are saying that 3.1.23 is the latest for the pap2. This is the download link from Cisco for that firmware which is could be worth updating to.
https://supportforums.cisco.com/servlet ... -23-LS.zip
billcanada
Quiet One

Post by billcanada »

I already thought of trying that. I was trying to update the firmware earlier today but had no luck. It couldn't connect to my adapter for some reason. I just tried again and I was able to update the Firmware Version to 3.1.23(LS). Unfortunately the problem still exists. My adapter is not the issue otherwise it wouldn't have worked fine before. I read in a different thread earlier how freephoneline/fongo is switching servers. In my adapter settings it says, Registration State: Can't connect to login server. Does anyone know why that is happening?
Jake wrote:BillCanada, I have just noticed in your details that you are using an old firmware in your PAP2T
Firmware Version: 3.1.12(LS)
You would be best advised to update this to the latest version 5.1.6(LS). I remember a long time ago someone else was having big problems with FPL, updating the firmware fixed their problems.

**Edit** I just see now you have a pap2, not a pap2t. Although this press release http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_i ... V5-1-6.pdf from Cisco states that 5.1.6 is the latest for both ATAs, it seems that in this thread https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2021557 they are saying that 3.1.23 is the latest for the pap2. This is the download link from Cisco for that firmware which is could be worth updating to.
https://supportforums.cisco.com/servlet ... -23-LS.zip
Jake
Technical Support

Post by Jake »

billcanada wrote:In my adapter settings it says, Registration State: Can't connect to login server. Does anyone know why that is happening?
For the settings, do you have an IP or something like voip.freephoneline.ca as your SIP server (proxy)? Have you ported in your number and not updated your account information?

You mention that you couldn't connect to your ATA, that could mean your router really isn't playing nice, or it could also mean that the ATA is on it's way out, or out, of the door. Download a free softphone (not the fongo desktop app) and load your settings into that and see if you can connect. That at a bare minimum will check that your account details are still correct and your account is still live. It's not beyond the realms of possibilities that Fongo has somehow 'misplaced' your account.

Are you able to borrow another ATA to try at your place?

To find what might be the problem, I think you need to start swapping things out and trying different things. The PAP2 must be quite old now, so it could have had it's day.
billcanada
Quiet One

Post by billcanada »

I have voip.freephoneline.ca for Proxy and Outbound Proxy. My phone numbers have not changed. My computer couldn't connect to my ATA to upgrade the firmware the first time because of an error I made. Here's a news flash. I just signed up with another VOIP provider. I entered all of their settings into my adapter and it worked!! Line 1 lit up on my adapter and I got a dial tone. I couldn't place a call because I did not purchase any credits which is fine because I just wanted to see if it would work or if I would have the same issues I'm having with fpl. I then went back and re-entered my fpl username, password, proxy etc and it does not work. It seems like freephoneline deactivated my account or something else is going on. At least I know for sure that the problem does not lie with my adapter. Hallelujah!
Jake wrote:
billcanada wrote:In my adapter settings it says, Registration State: Can't connect to login server. Does anyone know why that is happening?
For the settings, do you have an IP or something like voip.freephoneline.ca as your SIP server (proxy)? Have you ported in your number and not updated your account information?

You mention that you couldn't connect to your ATA, that could mean your router really isn't playing nice, or it could also mean that the ATA is on it's way out, or out, of the door. Download a free softphone (not the fongo desktop app) and load your settings into that and see if you can connect. That at a bare minimum will check that your account details are still correct and your account is still live. It's not beyond the realms of possibilities that Fongo has somehow 'misplaced' your account.

Are you able to borrow another ATA to try at your place?

To find what might be the problem, I think you need to start swapping things out and trying different things. The PAP2 must be quite old now, so it could have had it's day.
Jake
Technical Support

Post by Jake »

billcanada wrote:I have voip.freephoneline.ca for Proxy and Outbound Proxy. My phone numbers have not changed. My computer couldn't connect to my ATA to upgrade the firmware the first time because of an error I made. Here's a news flash. I just signed up for another VOIP provider. I entered all of their settings into my adapter and it worked!! I couldn't place a call because I never purchased any credits which is fine because I just wanted to see if it would work or if I would have the same issues I'm having with fpl. I then went back and re-entered my fpl username, password, proxy etc and it does not work. It seems like freephoneline deactivated my account or something else is going on. At least I know for sure that the problem does not lie with my adapter. Hallelujah!
I don't think you put anything in outbound proxy, but I don't think that will matter is you do not have "use outbound proxy" set to yes.

I would still recommend trying a sip phone, something like the x-lite http://www.counterpath.net/x-lite.html which will test your account.
I would also log into FPL and double check in the SIP settings that your password has not changed.
billcanada
Quiet One

Post by billcanada »

I had already signed into my account on freephoneline.ca to double check the fpl settings listed in the settings section. I entered everything listed there in my ATA. I've done this several times but I always get the same result, "Can't connect to log in server." Me being able to successfully log in to another VOIP provider and get a dial tone proves the problem is on freephoneline's end, not mine. Trying a SIP phone makes no sense at this point. I can't believe this is going on two weeks now and my emails to tech support are still being ignored. They obviously know there's a major problem somewhere so instead of admitting it they choose to ignore the issue. I paid them for the configuration files for my ATA and what I have now are phone lines that don't work at all and they obviously could care less. Unbelievable.
Jake wrote:
billcanada wrote:I have voip.freephoneline.ca for Proxy and Outbound Proxy. My phone numbers have not changed. My computer couldn't connect to my ATA to upgrade the firmware the first time because of an error I made. Here's a news flash. I just signed up for another VOIP provider. I entered all of their settings into my adapter and it worked!! I couldn't place a call because I never purchased any credits which is fine because I just wanted to see if it would work or if I would have the same issues I'm having with fpl. I then went back and re-entered my fpl username, password, proxy etc and it does not work. It seems like freephoneline deactivated my account or something else is going on. At least I know for sure that the problem does not lie with my adapter. Hallelujah!
I don't think you put anything in outbound proxy, but I don't think that will matter is you do not have "use outbound proxy" set to yes.

I would still recommend trying a sip phone, something like the x-lite http://www.counterpath.net/x-lite.html which will test your account.
I would also log into FPL and double check in the SIP settings that your password has not changed.
Jake
Technical Support

Post by Jake »

billcanada wrote:I had already signed into my account on freephoneline.ca to double check the fpl settings listed in the settings section. I entered everything listed there in my ATA. I've done this several times but I always get the same result, "Can't connect to log in server." Me being able to successfully log in to another VOIP provider and get a dial tone proves the problem is on freephoneline's end, not mine. Trying a SIP phone makes no sense at this point. I can't believe this is going on two weeks now and my emails to tech support are still being ignored. They obviously know there's a major problem somewhere so instead of admitting it they choose to ignore the issue. I paid them for the configuration files for my ATA and what I have now are phone lines that don't work at all and they obviously could care less. Unbelievable.
OK, well I hope you get it fixed. I was just trying to help find what might be the problem.
billcanada
Quiet One

Post by billcanada »

I appreciate you trying to help but the only one that can is freephoneline and they obviously could care less.
Jake wrote:
billcanada wrote:I had already signed into my account on freephoneline.ca to double check the fpl settings listed in the settings section. I entered everything listed there in my ATA. I've done this several times but I always get the same result, "Can't connect to log in server." Me being able to successfully log in to another VOIP provider and get a dial tone proves the problem is on freephoneline's end, not mine. Trying a SIP phone makes no sense at this point. I can't believe this is going on two weeks now and my emails to tech support are still being ignored. They obviously know there's a major problem somewhere so instead of admitting it they choose to ignore the issue. I paid them for the configuration files for my ATA and what I have now are phone lines that don't work at all and they obviously could care less. Unbelievable.
OK, well I hope you get it fixed. I was just trying to help find what might be the problem.