freephoneline software: I can't hear anyone.

Have a question or problem with your Fongo application? This forum is the place to get help from both staff and fellow community members.
Fongo recommends Fongo Home Phone for a fully supported Home Phone system for only $4.95/mo
b3l
Quiet One

freephoneline software: I can't hear anyone.

Post by b3l »

I installed Freephoneline version 3.2.6.0 to use the softphone with my laptop but I can't get it to work.

First I checked out the answering service, it dialed automatically and I played with the settings a bit but I had to push a button several times in order to choose an option. It took about 15 tries to change my password, since the program didn't 'hear' or 'understand' the number I pushed... if that makes any sense. And the automated 'voice' was not smooth, but broken up. Also, when I pressed * to end the call, 'she' said goodbye but the call didn't terminate. I had to click 'end'... I'm not sure if this is how it is supposed to work.

When I dialed a number I couldn't hear a dialtone or the phone ringing, but the other party's phone did ring and she could hear my voice but I couldn't hear hers at all. The second time her answering machine picked up and again I had no sound, although I was able to leave a message. I tried to "End" the call but nothing happened... like the program again didn't 'hear' when I pushed a button. I had to shut down the computer to disconnect.

Then I got someone to call my freephoneline number. The phone rang, she could hear me, but again I couldn't hear her. She hung up and her phone was clearly disconnected because she made another call. But her hanging up did not disconnect the call on my end and the timer kept running. I had to press "End" to get it to stop. Is this a way for freephoneline to potentially make more money from long distance calls?

Sometimes when I try to dial a number it dials, but most of the time it doesn't, even if I wait a long time.

How can I get the sound to work? Windows firewall is turned off. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling (yes I deleted the whole folder too). Though I don't think it matters for the softphone (which seems to use ports 80 and 442) I've forwarded UDP ports 5060-5061, 16384-16482, and 13000, and have checked that they are indeed open with PFPortChecker. I've rebooted my computer and also the router, but nothing has helped.

I have a Thinkpad x61s with XP and a WRT54GL with Tomato 1.19, a Speedtouch 516 v.6. and Teksavvy DSL.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be? I was thinking I would sign up for home phone but I can't even get the softphone to work. So glad I didn't pay for anything or cancel my Bell line yet.
Funkytown
Technical Support
SIP Device Name: Cisco SPA112
Firmware Version: 1.4.1 (SR5) Oct 14 2
ISP Name: Cik Telecom
Computer OS: Windows 10
Router: Zyxel EMG2926
Smartphone Model: LG G8 Thinq
Android Version: Android Q

Re: freephoneline software: I can't hear anyone.

Post by Funkytown »

Please try both steps below

First, with most Speedtouch modems the SIP ALG is enabled by default, so disable (un ckecking) the SIP ALG in your Speedtouch 516 v.6 should fix one problem.

Secondly for the WRT54GL with Freephonline go here to configure your router http://portforward.com/english/routers/ ... neline.htm

Let us know how it goes after following the two above steps.
b3l
Quiet One

Post by b3l »

I couldn't find where to switch off the SIP ALG using the graphical interface so I used these instructions:
1- open a Command Prompt window cmd.
- Navigate: Start > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt.
-or Start > Run > type 'cmd' into the box > Press Enter
2- type 'telnet' followed by the IP address of the router (default: 192.168.1.254) then press the Enter key.
3-The login username is "Administrator" not admin and Password is blank ""if not set.
4-type >connection unbind application=SIP port=5060 Press Enter
5-type >saveall Press Enter
6-type >exit Press Enter

I did the second step also.

Still no sound on my end. Nothing has changed.
Funkytown
Technical Support

Post by Funkytown »

b3l wrote:I couldn't find where to switch off the SIP ALG using the graphical interface so I used these instructions:
1- open a Command Prompt window cmd.
- Navigate: Start > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt.
-or Start > Run > type 'cmd' into the box > Press Enter
2- type 'telnet' followed by the IP address of the router (default: 192.168.1.254) then press the Enter key.
3-The login username is "Administrator" not admin and Password is blank ""if not set.
4-type >connection unbind application=SIP port=5060 Press Enter
5-type >saveall Press Enter
6-type >exit Press Enter

I did the second step also.

Still no sound on my end. Nothing has changed.
Right after applying this, have you done a full reboot with modem & computer to kick in the changed settings?
b3l
Quiet One

Post by b3l »

Yes, rebooted modem, router and computer.

1) Dialing works sporadically.
2) Still no sound on my end during calls, both incoming and outgoing.
3) I get disconnected after 30 seconds.
Funkytown
Technical Support

Post by Funkytown »

b3l wrote:Yes, rebooted modem, router and computer.

1) Dialing works sporadically.
2) Still no sound on my end during calls, both incoming and outgoing.
3) I get disconnected after 30 seconds.
A few more steps here
Allow Freephonline desktop application ports through your PC firewall, then right click on the Freephonline application shortcut and allow it to have Administrator privileges that is only if your running Windows vista or anything higher.

After all of the above, you will then find out if you properly configured your ports from the router to your PC by downloading and running this port scanner tool running inside your PC where the Freephoneline desktop application is installed.
http://www.portforward.com/store/PFPortChecker.exe
Scan each port that Freephonline desktop application uses .
b3l
Quiet One

Post by b3l »

I am running XP. I have windows firewall turned off. I already tried PFPortChecker and all is fine with the ports... but I did it again and they are all open. Any more tricks to try?
Funkytown
Technical Support

Post by Funkytown »

b3l wrote:I am running XP. I have windows firewall turned off. I already tried PFPortChecker and all is fine with the ports... but I did it again and they are all open. Any more tricks to try?

Depending on your router check to see if you have SIP ALG in there to if so disabled this.
Next, have you tried enabling DMZ for that PC and giving the PC an internal static IP?
nobody8
Just Passing Thru
SIP Device Name: SPA122

Post by nobody8 »

I have the same issue. I thought it was my PC or software then I purchased SIP and use SPA-122 and it still have the same issue.
As this is my second FPL number and the other one is working fine - just different line on the same SPA-122, so it wouldn't be my network issue or something.
Tried to PM support but my PM was sitting in the outbox and couldn't send out...
nobody8
Just Passing Thru
SIP Device Name: SPA122

Post by nobody8 »

Not sure if you can change the FPL software proxy setting or not...I changed the proxy on the ATA to voip2.freephoneline.ca and it works fine now.
b3l
Quiet One

Post by b3l »

nobody8 wrote:Not sure if you can change the FPL software proxy setting or not...I changed the proxy on the ATA to voip2.freephoneline.ca and it works fine now.
Yeh, I was thinking that might be good to try too but don't know if it is possible. I suspect that may be a solution.
b3l
Quiet One

Post by b3l »

Okay, I'm confused now. When I check ports with pfportchecker, the desktop application, it states the ports are open, and the ones that should be closed are closed. However, when I run the check with a web-based port checker, they all say that the ports are closed. Is this because one is running off of my network while the others are outside my network? Does this have a significance for running the freephoneline softphone?
b3l
Quiet One

Post by b3l »

Funkytown wrote:

Depending on your router check to see if you have SIP ALG in there to if so disabled this.
Next, have you tried enabling DMZ for that PC and giving the PC an internal static IP?
PC has static IP

Okay, this is where I stand now.

There is something weird going on with the ports. I checked ports before and they were open/fine. Now, port forwarding checks out okay with pfportchecker.exe for only ports 13000 and 13001, the others are blocked, I'm thinking perhaps blocked by the FPL software itself.

Even when I run the test from the freephoneline app, the test never works.

When DMZ is checked the test reports
"Unable to send/receive sound data. Port 13000 should be available."
"Possible reasons: 1. Call service temporary unavailable. Please excuse us for your inconvenience. The service will be available soon. Possible upgrade to the VOIP server is being applied at this moment."

When DMZ is unchecked I get "Possible reasons: None"
b3l
Quiet One

Post by b3l »

I have discovered that I am able to use other free voip services, but can't get freephoneline going for some reason. Can anyone help me please? If you are discontinuing this service, please just say so.
ButchCassidy
Just Passing Thru
SIP Device Name: broken freephonline software
Firmware Version: bulletsoft

Post by ButchCassidy »

If you are using the most up to date freephoneline client software on windows then try this. make an entry in the c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file that resolves the address of voip.freephone.ca. Beware that the address associated with the previously given host may change. I'd say that there is something broken in the way that the windows client does name resolution, because when I insert a n IP/name pair associated with voip.frephoneline.ca my windows client works, Oh and you will need to figure out the IP address for voip.freephoneline.ca

The app should just work by looking to the nameserver configured into windows, but apparently it does not....
b3l
Quiet One

Post by b3l »

ButchCassidy wrote:make an entry in the c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file that resolves the address of voip.freephone.ca. Beware that the address associated with the previously given host may change.
I entered this into the hosts file, but it didn't make any difference. Any other suggestions?

2XXXXXXXXXX voip.freephoneline.ca
2XXXXXXXXXX voip2.freephoneline.ca
Last edited by Fongo Support on 04/27/2013, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: This is a public Forum- please do not post IP's or personal information.
ButchCassidy
Just Passing Thru
SIP Device Name: broken freephonline software
Firmware Version: bulletsoft

Post by ButchCassidy »

Other than portforwarding on your firewall, can't think of anything else to try. Portforwarding alone didn't work here, but you might have to portforward -- 5060:5061 and several other ranges. There are some links posted in this forum regrading which ports to forward and how to do it on example routers.
b3l wrote:
ButchCassidy wrote:make an entry in the c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file that resolves the address of voip.freephone.ca. Beware that the address associated with the previously given host may change.
I entered this into the hosts file, but it didn't make any difference. Any other suggestions?

2XXXXXXXXXX voip.freephoneline.ca
2XXXXXXXXXX voip2.freephoneline.ca