Random IPs calling us

Have a question or problem with your Fongo application? This forum is the place to get help from both staff and fellow community members.
Fongo recommends Fongo Home Phone for a fully supported Home Phone system for only $4.95/mo
Cruizer3000
Just Passing Thru

Random IPs calling us

Post by Cruizer3000 »

Hi,

We have a freephoneline number with the SIP config. It seems at least once or twice a day, we get a call from what displays as an IP address or sometimes just the number 100 or 101.
We answer and there is no one on the other end. When we hang up the number calls again. This repeats about 4 or 5 times, until we just leave the phone "off the hook".
Its probably not a Fongo/Freephoneline specific issue, but I was wondering if any other fellow freephoneliners experience the same issue and could help out.

My guess is we're getting pinged by various net bots and it just so happens that its our phone line, but is there a way to block it?
Maxwell Smart
Quiet One
SIP Device Name: Obihai 100
Firmware Version: 1.3.0 (Build: 2886)
ISP Name: Teksavvy
Computer OS: Windows 10 (64 bit)
Router: SmartRG 515AC
Smartphone Model: Samsung S6
Android Version: 7.0

Re: Random IPs calling us

Post by Maxwell Smart »

We can't help you if you don't tell us what ATA device you have. However, for example, if you have an OBi device, yes you can block 'em. Here's how... in the OBi's settings, you change Voice Service >> SP# Service >> X_UserAgentPort to a number that's not 5060. You need to put in some random number greater than 5060 and less than 65535... this will block those SIP scanners that are trying to hack into your device / account (causing those weird dial numbers to show up)
adit
Just Passing Thru

Post by adit »

Same problem here. These are SIP scanners. See the link I posted in my request. We need Frephoneline access IP (found some not sure they are official ones but seem to work.).Read the thread from the link, there are a few other methods to try, but the one with allowing only our provider IPs should work.

http://forum.fongo.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9084
Jake
Technical Support

Post by Jake »

This is the lookup for the IP that is currently used by the Fongo SIP server
Some bits removed wrote:
#
# Query terms are ambiguous. The query is assumed to be:
# "n 208.65.240.160"
#
# Use "?" to get help.
#

#
# The following results may also be obtained via:
# http://whois.arin.net/rest/nets;q=208.6 ... xt=netref2
#

NetRange: 208.65.240.0 - 208.65.247.255
CIDR: 208.65.240.0/21

OriginAS: AS36493
NetName: 295CA-BLK-01
NetHandle: NET-208-65-240-0-1
Parent: NET-208-0-0-0-0
NetType: Direct Allocation
RegDate: 2006-03-20
Updated: 2012-03-13
Ref: http://whois.arin.net/rest/net/NET-208-65-240-0-1

OrgName: FIBERNETICS CORPORATION
OrgId: FC-60
Address: 605 BOXWOOD DRIVE
City: Cambridge
StateProv: ON
PostalCode: N3E 1A5
RegDate: 2011-11-07
Updated: 2012-03-15
Ref: http://whois.arin.net/rest/org/FC-60
The important bits for you will probably be this

Code: Select all

NetRange: 208.65.240.0 - 208.65.247.255
CIDR: 208.65.240.0/21
If that is the range that they have access to, then it is a fairly safe bet that SIP requests will be coming from within that range. Obviously that could change though.
adit
Just Passing Thru

Post by adit »

Thanks, this is a great find. However I'm not sure that my OBI202 can take an address range in the access list or only a number of comma separated discrete addresses ( I asked on their forum also). I know that the field accepts a maximum of 512 characters only. Maybe somebody in Fongo/Freephoneline can confirm what addresses are they REALY using in Toronto /GTA area ? I don't intend to move my ATA so if I know the addresses used locally would be great. I can change the port address also like suggested but from what I read this already start failing as the SIP scanners are adapting and scan a range of ports. Some start getting calls in non standard ports also. The IP method should always work as long as we know them and are not to many. I read that Callcentric start providing them to users (there are 2 IPs only).
Cruizer3000
Just Passing Thru

Post by Cruizer3000 »

Thanks for the replies. The device I am using is an ATA-S2 from USPConnect.

Under my SIP Settings I have the following options:
Service Domain - I entered my SIP settings from FPL here.
Port - can set SIP Port, RTP Port, SIP Port Range and RTP Port Range here.
Codec - settings for Codec Priority, RTP Packet Length and Voice VAD
Codec ID - can enter Codec Type, ID and Default Value
DTMF Setting - options are RFC 2833, Inband DTMF, Send DTMF SIP Info
RPort Setting - Either turn RPort on or off
Other - Hold by RFC of Phone1 either on/off, Voice QoS (Diff-Serv):, SIP QoS (Diff-Serv):, SIP Expire Time:, Use DNS SRV:, Send Keep Alives Packet:, Keep Alives Period:, Jitter Buffer:, SIP Server type:

There are other menus like :
NAT Trans where i can set STUN server settings
Other menu which has Auto Config (Off, TFTP, FTP, HTTP), FXS Port, MAC Clone, Tone, Advanced, Status Log

The ATA didn't come with any instructions and while I'm comfortable going in a changing settings, I really don't understand much about how SIP works.
I read the OBITalk guide but could not find anything that resembles X_AccessList in my settings.

Does anyone have any idea where I would be able to set the IP range above on my device? Thanks!
tyger
Just Passing Thru
SIP Device Name: GrandStream HT 701
ISP Name: TekSavvy
Computer OS: Win7 Pro x64
Router: E1000 DD-WRT

Post by tyger »

Cruizer3000 wrote:Hi,

We have a freephoneline number with the SIP config. It seems at least once or twice a day, we get a call from what displays as an IP address or sometimes just the number 100 or 101.
We answer and there is no one on the other end. When we hang up the number calls again. This repeats about 4 or 5 times, until we just leave the phone "off the hook".
Its probably not a Fongo/Freephoneline specific issue, but I was wondering if any other fellow freephoneliners experience the same isringinsue and could help out.

My guess is we're getting pinged by various net bots and it just so happens that its our phone line, but is there a way to block it?
On my Grandstream HT 701, there is a setting "allow Incoming SIP Messages from SIP Proxy Only: No or Yes". when i set it to Yes, it essentially block direct IP calling. In otherwords, it stopped the SIP port scanners from ringing my phone. As i'm not familiar with your device, look for something similar perhaps?