Problems configuring OBi110 to work with FPL

Have a question or problem with your Fongo application? This forum is the place to get help from both staff and fellow community members.
Fongo recommends Fongo Home Phone for a fully supported Home Phone system for only $4.95/mo
tango
Just Passing Thru
SIP Device Name: OBi110i
Firmware Version: 1.3.0 Build 2872
ISP Name: Bell DSL
Computer OS: Windows 7
Router: Sagemcom 2864

Problems configuring OBi110 to work with FPL

Post by tango »

Hi all,

I am new to VoIP, after some researching online decided on the OBi ATA, specifically the 110 model. I purchased the VoIP Unlock Key, started configuring the device for use with FPL (for obvious reasons :) ).

Using the FPL "Updated OBi100 Guide" just get the device to enable inbound calls, as I could not make outbound calls, until I configure the OBi110 using OBiTalk Portal. This worked for a while until somehow it stopped working the next day. With some help from the OBiTalk forums, I changed the Google Voice to SP2, keeping FPL as SP1, as this was done using the Updated OBi100 Guide.

This worked for a day, until I need to move the ATA to another Ethernet port in another room, removing the setup would have powered down the ATA, or something happened that the device stopped working, unable to make (outbound) calls. After some thorough re-config of the device on OBiTalk portal, the setup works again.

However I still have at least 2 concerns:

1. Dropping Caller ID. No matter how many times I have to re-entered the Caller ID, (my name) on the device IP address, it did not "stick", or not for long. I saw the CID appears on my POTS phone, then disappeared!. Checking back the configured OBi100 IP address setting, the entered CID was gone, after a couple minutes!

2. DigitMap not registered as recommended by FPL. The Guide recommends:

DigitMap: (911|[2-­‐9]xxxxxxxxx|1xxxxxxxxxx|011xxxxxxxxxxxx.|*98|[6-­‐7]x*xxxxxxxxxxx.)

Somehow the device can't seem to keep this config, always reverted back to:
(*95|*98|*xx|1xxxxxxxxxx|<1>[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|011xx.|xx.)

Without understanding the meaning behind the 2 strings, I can vaguely guess the FPL e911 service, as advertized included in the $50 package, would not work.

I intend to port over my existing POTS phone number to replace the new "IP" number, but hesitate because that would defeat the purpose (to keep the 911 calling capability).

Help!
tango
Just Passing Thru

Re: Problems configuring OBi110 to work with FPL

Post by tango »

I tried a few more things and should say that the setup is working, except I don't know for sure if e911 would be working if exercised, given the OBiTALK possessive DigitMap.

I actually removed the OBi110 device from OBiTALK by performing a Factory Reset, reconfigured it with FPL's recommended Guide, only to find out again that it still need to be configured in the OBiTALK, or, effectively re-adding the device.

In addition, I took one step further to venture into OBi Expert Configuration, forcing the FPL DigitMap at this (deeper) level. Then, the device ITSP setting for DigitMap stayed as entered. However, the outbound phone simply not worked, with a voice message error #484 or something. The message repeated my POTS phone number but truncated the last digit, if this means something to anyone? So, I had no choice but went back to OBi Expert and reverted to OBi Expert setting, meaning their very own DigitMap.

There is one consolation prize, at the OBi expert config, I am able to force CID successfully! A free tip for any prospective OBi users wishing to do this. (In addition, 110 users need to configure their Phone port to be SP1 (FPL), not PSTN to make calls).

So, the config worked according to OBiTALK, and based on what I saw in the Phone Port screen, FPL own e911 may work, but I can't just test it?

DigitMap: ([1-9]x?*(Mpli)|[1-9]S9|[1-9][0-9]S9|911|**0|***|#|**1(Msp1)|**2(Msp2)|**8(Mli)|**9(Mpp)|(Mpli))

OutboundCallRoute: {911:sp1},{933:sp1},{([1-9]x?*(Mpli)):pp},{(<#:>|911):li},{**0:aa},{***:aa2},{(<**1:>(Msp1)):sp1},{(<**2:>(Msp2)):sp2},{(<**8:>(Mli)):li},{(<**9:>(Mpp)):pp},{(Mpli):pli}

Comments, feedback?
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support
SIP Device Name: Obihai 202/2182, Groundwire
Firmware Version: various
ISP Name: FTTH
Computer OS: Windows 64 bit
Router: Asuswrt-Merlin & others

Post by Liptonbrisk »

tango wrote:I tried a few more things and should say that the setup is working, except I don't know for sure if e911 would be working if exercised, given the OBiTALK possessive DigitMap.

I actually removed the OBi110 device from OBiTALK by performing a Factory Reset, reconfigured it with FPL's recommended Guide, only to find out again that it still need to be configured in the OBiTALK, or, effectively re-adding the device.
If you want settings not to be overridden by the OBiTalk portal, which had been happening to you previously when you were making changes in the device, you need to disable Auto provisioning for OBiTALK in the device:

Navigate to System Management-->Auto Provisioning-->OBiTalk Provisioning-->Method
Select "Disabled" from the drop down menu, but only if you want to disable having Obitalk portal setting changes take effect.

So, the config worked according to OBiTALK, and based on what I saw in the Phone Port screen, FPL own e911 may work, but I can't just test it?
You can test, absolutely. e911 calls go to a call centre (and not directly to police dispatch or anything), and they're used to receiving test calls. Just explain that you're setting up a VoIP service, and they'll understand.
They'll verify your address and name.

For Dial plan help, you might want to look at http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=34.0
And, for general dial plan assistance with OBi ATAs, you may receive assistance posting in http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?board=3.0

By the way, the Obitalk Freephoneline profile uses a Keep Alive Interval setting of 15 for some reason.
But according to FPL, it should be 20 seconds. http://support.freephoneline.ca/entries ... redentials

The setting is found in Voice Services--> SP(freephoneline)
X_KeepAliveEnable should be checked or enabled
X_KeepAliveExpires should be 20 (and not 15)
Please do not send me emails; I do not work for nor represent Freephoneline or Fongo. Post questions on the forums so that others may learn from responses or assist you. Thank you. If you have an issue with your account or have a billing issue, submit a ticket here: https://support.fongo.com/hc/requests/new. Visit http://status.fongo.com/ to check FPL/Fongo service status. Freephoneline setup guides can be found at http://forum.fongo.com/viewforum.php?f=15.
tango
Just Passing Thru

Post by tango »

Liptonbrisk wrote:
If you want settings not to be overridden by the OBiTalk portal, which had been happening to you previously when you were making changes in the device, you need to disable Auto provisioning for OBiTALK in the device:

Navigate to System Management-->Auto Provisioning-->OBiTalk Provisioning-->Method
Select "Disabled" from the drop down menu, but only if you want to disable having Obitalk portal setting changes take effect.
Since my setup, even with default OBiTALK DigitMap, is working now, and that I don't fully understand when to disable Auto Provisioning, I just leave it aside for now.

You can test, absolutely. e911 calls go to a call centre (and not directly to police dispatch or anything), and they're used to receiving test calls. Just explain that you're setting up a VoIP service, and they'll understand.
They'll verify your address and name.
I took your advice and called 911. The Operator asked quickly "police or ambulance". I explained it was meant as test for my new VoIP phone, and asked him to verify my name and address. However, he did not answer my question directly, but made me on standby to call the police in my city, after having asked for my address. The city female cop asked the same question "police or ambulance"? The operator went on asking her to verify the address, which she seemed to have trouble with spelling at first. When she realized it was a test, she was not amused, explained she is going to hang up, even suggested this is inappropriate!

I heard the Operator gave the cop the call back number (mine), but not too sure if he got my home address. I don't want to call back just to ask the same questions twice, for fear that I already over-use the system! Anyway, the 911 call did go to a call centre. Maybe this is all one should expect :)!

In other words, regardless how OBiTALK DigitMap is set up (without 911), the test verified e911 worked, perhaps with some limitations but it is what it is.
By the way, the Obitalk Freephoneline profile uses a Keep Alive Interval setting of 15 for some reason.
But according to FPL, it should be 20 seconds. http://support.freephoneline.ca/entries ... redentials

The setting is found in Voice Services--> SP(freephoneline)
X_KeepAliveEnable should be checked or enabled
X_KeepAliveExpires should be 20 (and not 15)
I verified that it was set correctly as configured at 20 sec; OBiTALK did not revert my device setting to their default of 15 sec. So it was not an issue, but thanks for your reminder!

Btw, I verified voice mail worked too when dialing *98, together with an email with an audio package.
8-)
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

Post by Liptonbrisk »

tango wrote: I took your advice and called 911. The Operator asked quickly "police or ambulance". I explained it was meant as test for my new VoIP phone, and asked him to verify my name and address. However, he did not answer my question directly, but made me on standby to call the police in my city. The city female cop asked the same question "police or ambulance"? The operator went on asking her to verify the address, which she seemed to have trouble with spelling at first. When she realized it was a test, she was not amused, explained she is going to hang up, even suggested this is inappropriate!

I heard the Operator gave the cop the call back number (mine), but not too sure if he got my home address. I don't want to call back just to ask the same questions twice, for fear that I already over-use the system! Anyway, the 911 call did go to a call centre. Maybe this is all one should expect :)
I've setup FPL for a few people, and each time I've called 911 as a test, I've never had that experience.
Each time I got a lady who was very polite, and I always stated immediately, "Sorry, this is not an emergency. I am just setting up a new VoIP service and wanted to make sure it works properly."

And the person on the other end always replies, "Oh yeah, we get this all the time. No worries. Let me verify your name and address."

And then she says, "Would you like me to connect you to the local dispatch, so that we can ensure we're calling the right dispatch location for you?"

And then I usually stutter because I get very nervous at the point and say, "Well, I don't want to bother them with something that's not an emergency. I'm not going to get into trouble right?"

"Not at all. I'll talk to them first and explain, and then I'll let you talk."

That's usually how it goes for me, but it's not as though I call e911 frequently either.

I apologize for what happened. I had no clue that would happen. I thought my experiences were normal.
Please do not send me emails; I do not work for nor represent Freephoneline or Fongo. Post questions on the forums so that others may learn from responses or assist you. Thank you. If you have an issue with your account or have a billing issue, submit a ticket here: https://support.fongo.com/hc/requests/new. Visit http://status.fongo.com/ to check FPL/Fongo service status. Freephoneline setup guides can be found at http://forum.fongo.com/viewforum.php?f=15.
tango
Just Passing Thru

Post by tango »

@Liptonbrisk: No need to apologize, as all feedback, comments are appreciated!

As it is working now, my curiosity is more of an inquiring mind, especially when I talked to a few colleagues about their OBi201 settings (now I found out they also went with FPL), and they did not need to go through OBiTALK portal to add a device to make it work. At the same time, they are not aware of GV bonus feature.

At any rate, I suspect they would have older firmware version that may not "stipulate" such configuration by OBiTALK portal to work, when configured manually after a Factory Reset. But that's just a theory for now :)!
FONGO_jeff
Site Moderator

Post by FONGO_jeff »

I'm not sure why this needs to be stated, but 911 is not a number you should call to test your line, 911 is for real emergencies only. Please do not call 911 to test your line.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

Post by Liptonbrisk »

FONGO_jeff wrote:I'm not sure why this needs to be stated
Probably because testing to e911 is considered acceptable with some other voip services, and was also stated as much by someone from the E911 call centre...

For example, from http://www.voip.com/help/residential/yo ... _e911.aspx

"You may test your 911 information by dialing 911 on your voip phone. Make sure you tell the emergency operator right away that you're not having an emergency and are only testing your voip 911 service to ensure it's working correctly"

I was told they don't care as long as it's during off-peak hours, and the call to e911 is to a call centre and not to the actual PSAP. I would never call if I thought I was going to be connected to the PSAP. But since you've stated doing this is wrong, my apologies. I wasn't aware calling e911 during off-peak was an issue.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

Post by Liptonbrisk »

tango wrote: and they did not need to go through OBiTALK portal to add a device to make it work
With the exception of Google Voice, you don't have to use OBiTalk. Once you start using OBiTalk, you need to continue doing so, unless you disable OBiTalk Provisioning in the ATA itself.

You can completely avoid the portal if you only want to use a regular VoIP service.

At the same time, they are not aware of GV bonus feature.
You can only activate Google Voice via the Obitalk portal with the latest firmware.
tango
Just Passing Thru

Post by tango »

Liptonbrisk wrote: ...
You can only activate Google Voice via the Obitalk portal with the latest firmware.
You may have missed my point/thought earlier:
"At any rate, I suspect they would have older firmware version that may not "stipulate" such configuration by OBiTALK portal to work, when configured manually after a Factory Reset. But that's just a theory for now !"

I don't know if this (theory) is true for a fact, will ask a colleague to confirm as he had no problem configuring his OBi device to work with FPL, and not touching GV.

I suspect if he got excited to have free US long distance, and add his OBi device to OBiTALK portal, then there will be no going back, unless he can manage to save his OBi device firmware, and able to reload it later. There's one way forward, and his device will be reminded to update when a red Exclaimation mark is shown.

All that is to say I could not make my device to work with FPL without adding it to OBiTALK, thus the origin of this thread! It in turn took over the FPL's DigitMap, and I had to verify inbound and outbound calls are working (with OBiTALK's DigitMap). I did touch base with FPL Support about this DigitMap question via PM, but they invoked that policy (no support for 3rd party ATA), end of discussion!

In the process I raised the question how to verify if e911 works, especially it is not apparent in OBiTALK DigitMap. And you suggested it's been tried before, with such cooperation from the call centre. And the rest is history :)!