Porting number, VoIP unlocks, etc.

Have a question or problem with your Fongo application? This forum is the place to get help from both staff and fellow community members.
Fongo recommends Fongo Home Phone for a fully supported Home Phone system for only $4.95/mo

Porting number, VoIP unlocks, etc.

Postby stangri » 07/27/2016

I'm considering Fongo/FPH as a way to keep my Canadian number working when I cancel my cell service.

What I'd like to do is to port my number to a VoIP service and set up asterisk to receive calls, but I'd very much like to have an option of launching an app to check for texts once in a while. TBH I don't expect much traffic neither voice nor texts once I leave, but it's crucial for me to be reachable by people/institutions who I forget to update with my new number.

I'd like to clarify a few things before I go ahead with Fongo/FPH:
1. If I port-in a number into Fongo or FPH account, does the old number gets wiped (so it's impossible to have two phone numbers linked to one Fongo/FPH account)?
2. Is the only difference between Fongo and FPH accounts is an option to receive texts with the Fongo app?
3. If the VoIP unlock code is purchased, it's no longer possible to use the Fongo app (and receive texts), is it?
4. Is it possible to purchase a VoIP unlock code for the Fongo account, or does the number first have to be ported to FPH (for $5) and only then the VoIP unlock code can be purchased?
stangri
Just Passing Thru

Re: Porting number, VoIP unlocks, etc.

Postby Liptonbrisk » 07/27/2016

stangri wrote:1. If I port-in a number into Fongo or FPH account, does the old number gets wiped (so it's impossible to have two phone numbers linked to one Fongo/FPH account)?

The common acronym used online is FPL (FreePhoneLine) and not FPH.

Correct. The old number is overwritten by the phone number that is ported in.

2. Is the only difference between Fongo and FPH accounts is an option to receive texts with the Fongo app?

No. Fongo Mobile supports SMS (free incoming, but not free outgoing). It's a separate service from both Fongo Home Phone (buy Fongo's ATA and pay ongoing monthly fees) and Freephoneline (bring your own device service and pay a one time fee).

3. If the VoIP unlock code is purchased, it's no longer possible to use the Fongo app (and receive texts), is it?

The Fongo Mobile smartphone app is completely independent and separate from FPL, which is the only product you can use to receive SIP credentials to use with Asterisk.

Freephoneline does not support SMS.

4. Is it possible to purchase a VoIP unlock code for the Fongo account,

No.

or does the number first have to be ported to FPH (for $5) and only then the VoIP unlock code can be purchased?

Correct

Freephoneline does not support SMS.

FPL is the only product (out of the ones you're asking about) you can use to receive SIP credentials to use with Asterisk.
Please do not send me emails; I do not work for nor represent Freephoneline or Fongo. Post questions on the forums so that others may learn from responses or assist you. Thank you. If you have an issue with your account or have a billing issue, submit a ticket here: https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. Visit http://status.fongo.com/ to check FPL/Fongo service status. Freephoneline setup guides can be found at viewforum.php?f=15.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

SIP Device Name: Obihai 202/2182, Groundwire
Firmware Version: various
ISP Name: FTTH
Computer OS: Windows 64 bit
Router: Asuswrt-Merlin & others

Postby stangri » 07/27/2016

Thanks for your prompt reply. I guess I'd port my cell # into Fongo account for a while first and then once I'm happy with the transition I'll move it to FPL/asterisk.
stangri
Just Passing Thru

Postby Jake » 07/30/2016

Just thinking of other options for you:-

If you port your number to Fongo (the phone app not Home Phone) you will receive calls and texts to that number as mentioned above. What you can also do is go into the settings and make it so it rings other numbers either at the same time or sequentially when an incoming calls comes in. What this mean is if you plumb in your new/home/whatever number (assuming it is in a free call area) it will also ring when someone calls your cell number. Plus you will still get text messages on it.

If you are going abroad and will not have a current Canadian number (or just really want to use Asterisk) then you can also create a FPL account, buy the Unlock Key, set up Asterisk, and then forward the Fongo app number to the FPL number.
Jake
Technical Support

Return to Community Support