why no voice response when call in

Have a question or problem with your Fongo application? This forum is the place to get help from both staff and fellow community members.
Fongo recommends Fongo Home Phone for a fully supported Home Phone system for only $4.95/mo
invincible
Just Passing Thru

why no voice response when call in

Post by invincible »

I use Obi100 as my ATA and it was okay for the past month. I set up my voice mail correctly. Now, I turn off the power and leave home. But when I call my FPL number from office, I don't hear any voice message, no ring tone either, just dead silence, and then off. I suppose it should go to my voice mail if the ATA isn't powered, right? It has been 4 hours. Is the service down?

Thanks.
Jake
Technical Support

Re: why no voice response when call in

Post by Jake »

I don't think there has been any update since the last time you brought this up.
http://forum.fongo.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=10082

I can only say that they are aware of the issue, and they will fix it if they think it is broke (I'm not sure if they think it is a problem or not to be honest).
invincible
Just Passing Thru

Post by invincible »

Thanks for your reply. Now, it worked surprisingly when I called back; yet in the past 4 hours, it didn't. So perhaps the service was really down this morning.
Jake wrote:I don't think there has been any update since the last time you brought this up.
http://forum.fongo.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=10082

I can only say that they are aware of the issue, and they will fix it if they think it is broke (I'm not sure if they think it is a problem or not to be honest).
Jake
Technical Support

Post by Jake »

I think it is more likely that the system finally unregistered you.

Did you try the *72 / *73 trick?

Try also *78 / *79 to activate and deactivate Do Not Disturb. This will save you from powering down the ATA when you leave, but all calls should still go through to voicemail directly. It will also mean that people still at the house can make outgoing calls.
invincible
Just Passing Thru

Post by invincible »

Jake wrote:I think it is more likely that the system finally unregistered you.
What does the system unregistered me mean? It is so unstable?
Jake
Technical Support

Post by Jake »

When you unplug the ATA in your house, the FPL server won't know instantly that it isn't there anymore. You are not sending a signal to it to say you are going to unplug it so it just assumes you are still there. When it finally doesn't hear from the ATA for a while it will mark it down as being not registered.

It's a bit like if someone falls asleep on you while you are talking to them on the phone. You will carry on speaking or waiting for them to say something until you realise they are not actually going to respond anymore and you put the phone down.

I would have thought that the server would mark you down as gone the moment it tries to connect your call to you but can't, but for some reason it seems to give you the benefit of the doubt and will keep trying blindly for several hours before eventually giving up. This is how I understand it right now anyway.
invincible
Just Passing Thru

Post by invincible »

Thanks Jake for your explanations. Good. This FPL is certernly different from my previous VOIP provider which instantly could go to voice mail after I unplugged the power of ATA. Now, it can take up to several hours for your said "unregistering" process. Perhaps that is the FPL's bug.

Thanks again.
Jake
Technical Support

Post by Jake »

Personally I don't think it should behave the way it is, but there you go.

Your best bet will be just to dial *78 when you leave, instead of unplugging it. Then when you get back just dial *79. This will (should) force all calls to voicemail and no messing around with plugs needed.
invincible
Just Passing Thru

Post by invincible »

Jake wrote:Personally I don't think it should behave the way it is, but there you go.

Your best bet will be just to dial *78 when you leave, instead of unplugging it. Then when you get back just dial *79. This will (should) force all calls to voicemail and no messing around with plugs needed.
Thanks. I have tried your *78 and *72 respectively, but they don't work if the ATA is unplugged. Then it's meaningless to use them, as I usually unplug the power of them when I leave home. On the FPL site, I set to forward the call to my mobile when the FPL is unavailable, but that forward function doesn't work either within the first several hours of my ATA unplugging. Too bad neither the voice mail nor the forwarding works if the ATA is powered off in the first several hours of ATA unplugging. That is unique with FPL.
Fongo Support
Site Moderator

Post by Fongo Support »

invincible wrote:
Jake wrote:Personally I don't think it should behave the way it is, but there you go.

Thanks. I have tried your *78 and *72 respectively, but they don't work if the ATA is unplugged. Then it's meaningless to use them, as I usually unplug the power of them when I leave home. On the FPL site, I set to forward the call to my mobile when the FPL is unavailable, but that forward function doesn't work either within the first several hours of my ATA unplugging. Too bad neither the voice mail nor the forwarding works if the ATA is powered off in the first several hours of ATA unplugging. That is unique with FPL.
Hi there,

re->Too bad neither the voice mail nor the forwarding works if the ATA is powered off in the first several hours of ATA unplugging. That is unique with FPL

I believe Jake already answered to this.

Not sure if you saw the other thread.

Thanks,
Jake
Technical Support

Post by Jake »

invincible wrote:Thanks. I have tried your *78 and *72 respectively, but they don't work if the ATA is unplugged. Then it's meaningless to use them, as I usually unplug the power of them when I leave home.
Yes you are right, sorry if I wasn't clear enough. I meant to say that you would have to leave your ATA on.

You say that you normally forward your calls to your cell when you turn your ATA off. Have you tried setting your calls up as ringing simultaneously in your online admin with your ATA number and Cell number. I am wondering if when it is going through it's 'I don't know if your ATA is there or not' stage it will still also try calling your cell. The downside is that it will also try and call your cell when you are at home, but we know you are not going to get the perfect setup that you want at the moment, so I thought I would throw that out there and see if it works for you.
invincible
Just Passing Thru

Post by invincible »

Fongo Support wrote: Hi there,

re->Too bad neither the voice mail nor the forwarding works if the ATA is powered off in the first several hours of ATA unplugging. That is unique with FPL

I believe Jake already answered to this.

Not sure if you saw the other thread.

Thanks,
Thank you, Sir. Not sure what you meant "the other thread". I read all the replies in this post.

By the way, do you FPL find the cause to this un-functioning in the first several hours of an ATA off? Other VOIPs like Comwave don't have this problem. Thanks anyway.
invincible
Just Passing Thru

Post by invincible »

Jake wrote: Yes you are right, sorry if I wasn't clear enough. I meant to say that you would have to leave your ATA on.

You say that you normally forward your calls to your cell when you turn your ATA off. Have you tried setting your calls up as ringing simultaneously in your online admin with your ATA number and Cell number. I am wondering if when it is going through it's 'I don't know if your ATA is there or not' stage it will still also try calling your cell. The downside is that it will also try and call your cell when you are at home, but we know you are not going to get the perfect setup that you want at the moment, so I thought I would throw that out there and see if it works for you.
Thanks again, Jake. You are so nice and knowledgeable. Interesting advice to set to ring simultaneously on both the FPL and mobile. But if I choose so, I can't choose "forward when unavailable", but have to choose "always forward", as you mentioned. Interesting, :-)