some technical problems with new FPL need help

Have a question or problem with your Fongo application? This forum is the place to get help from both staff and fellow community members.
Fongo recommends Fongo Home Phone for a fully supported Home Phone system for only $4.95/mo
ctm
Quiet One
SIP Device Name: obi100
Firmware Version: 1.3.0.2815
ISP Name: teksavvy cable 25/2
Computer OS: windows 7

some technical problems with new FPL need help

Post by ctm »

I just got my FPL setup last week. bought $5 long distance credit. tried call both local and long distance, seems fine. However, here are some problems I've found so far. I tried email Fongo but got no response whatsoever after 3 days. (I'm using teksavvy cable)

1. No call IDs for incoming calls, no name, no number, not even showing "private number" when someone called from hidden number. just nothing.

2. I tried *67 + 416-123-4567, it doesn't work. it stills shows my number.

3. the most annoying problem happens in last 36 hours. My phone just mysteriously ringing every couple of hours. But it's all static I heard when I pick up the phone. I have to disconnect my phone when I sleep last night. that's ridiculous. My number is a new one. I haven't given to anyone yet. so I highly doubt it's some prank call. Looks more like some technical issues. Since there's no ID or number showing on my phone, so I have no idea where those calls came from.

I hope FPL/Fongo technicians can help me with these problems, especially the 3rd problem. Or anyone has has similiar issues before could give me a hint. Many thanks for your help.
ctm
Quiet One

Re: some technical problems with new FPL need help

Post by ctm »

as to the 3rd problem, the phone has again rang couple of times since I submitted this post, even short interval, about once per hour, the number shown up is 100.
Bing Kol
Active Poster
SIP Device Name: PAP2T
Firmware Version: 5.1.6 (LS)
ISP Name: CarryTel 25/10 DSL
Router: pfSense i5-3470

Post by Bing Kol »

ctm wrote:I just got my FPL setup last week. bought $5 long distance credit. tried call both local and long distance, seems fine. However, here are some problems I've found so far. I tried email Fongo but got no response whatsoever after 3 days. (I'm using teksavvy cable)
There is no official technical support for FPL. It is BYOD and you are expected to have the technical competence to fix problems by yourself. However, if you ask nicely and provide detailed description of your problems you may be able to get support. Find a post by Jake and follow the links in his signature.
ctm wrote:...
1. No call IDs for incoming calls, no name, no number, not even showing "private number" when someone called from hidden number. just nothing.
If you log in to your online portal under Call Logs, I can assure you that the Incoming Caller ID indicates something like "Anonymous". That means that either your ATA or your phone handset is not up to the task.
2. I tried *67 + 416-123-4567, it doesn't work. it stills shows my number.

FPL/Fongo does not officially support Caller ID Blocking. If that is important to you, then you do not have the right provider. I should mention that some people who have the right equipment and know-how can successfully block their numbers. My question is, why would anybody with a legitimate call want to block his Caller ID?
3. the most annoying problem happens in last 36 hours. My phone just mysteriously ringing every couple of hours. But it's all static I heard when I pick up the phone. I have to disconnect my phone when I sleep last night. that's ridiculous. My number is a new one. I haven't given to anyone yet. so I highly doubt it's some prank call. Looks more like some technical issues. Since there's no ID or number showing on my phone, so I have no idea where those calls came from. ...
Those calls are coming from SIP scanners. It happens because you did not program your ATA to ignore/block SIP scanners or calls that are not routed through the FPL servers.

All your so-called problems have been discussed somewhere in this forum. You may need to spend time searching for them as I am too busy to feed them to you. Good luck!
lolka
Just Passing Thru

Post by lolka »

Bing Kol wrote:
If you log in to your online portal under Call Logs, I can assure you that the Incoming Caller ID indicates something like "Anonymous". That means that either your ATA or your phone handset is not up to the task.
I don't know what to expect on my phone when a private number calls in because I have them forwarded to voicemail, but if a caller ID is blocked, does it not make sense that you see nothing, unless another service translated the blank caller ID to Anonymous or Private Number. I wonder.
ctm
Quiet One

Post by ctm »

There is no official technical support for FPL. It is BYOD and you are expected to have the technical competence to fix problems by yourself. However, if you ask nicely and provide detailed description of your problems you may be able to get support. Find a post by Jake and follow the links in his signature.

FPL/Fongo does not officially support Caller ID Blocking. If that is important to you, then you do not have the right provider. I should mention that some people who have the right equipment and know-how can successfully block their numbers. My question is, why would anybody with a legitimate call want to block his Caller ID?

Those calls are coming from SIP scanners. It happens because you did not program your ATA to ignore/block SIP scanners or calls that are not routed through the FPL servers.

All your so-called problems have been discussed somewhere in this forum. You may need to spend time searching for them as I am too busy to feed them to you. Good luck![/quote]

So I suppose FPL should say somewhere on its website that "Don't sign-up if you are not IT guru", and this forum is UN-official support, then when I called FPL why the voice message direct me to this forum?

It sounds you have never been harassed by prank calls, good for you. When you call up all those sales agents for a general quote, be it auto insurance agent or real estate agent or auto dealer or even a rogers/bell/teksavvy sales agent or any tons of online buy & sale people , you don't really want your phone number show up, at least for first time general inquiry, is this something illgeitimate or so hard to understand?

I might have sound a little "impatient" yesterday because I didn't notice nor expected that my posts had to wait couple of hours for censorship, in fact this is the first forum that I have ever registered the post has to be censored before post, and it's a small technical forum.I don't really understand why the fuss. and the sip scanning calls as you said really got my nerves. it's actually gettting more and more frequent, 3 times in last hour. I had to disconnect it every night. I setup everything according to FPL guide and nowhere mentioned SIP scanner problems. If this had made me sound not "nice" enough, my apologies.

Anyhow, you have given me a lot info that I could google on. Thank you very much.
Jake
Technical Support

Post by Jake »

Do you have port 5060 open to your ATA on your router, or have the ATA in DMZ? That is usually the cause. Try this thread and see if anything there helps. I don't have an OBi device so I can't be of much help unfortunately.

The reason your posts were put on hold is because like most forums we get plagued with spam bots otherwise. It got quite bad at one point and this way was deemed to be better than having to remove hundreds of spam posts everyday. It does cause an inconvenience to new posters however as you found out.
ctm
Quiet One

Post by ctm »

how come when I login my FPL account, under Call Log, the only thing I see (the only option I got) is "submit" (current month), nowhere I see the option Incoming Caller ID "anonymous".

I have set up my obi100 following this guide

http://blog.voipdiy.com/2013/06/manuall ... bi100.html
Fongo Support
Site Moderator

Post by Fongo Support »

ctm wrote:how come when I login my FPL account, under Call Log, the only thing I see (the only option I got) is "submit" (current month), nowhere I see the option Incoming Caller ID "anonymous".

I have set up my obi100 following this guide

http://blog.voipdiy.com/2013/06/manuall ... bi100.html
Hi there,

Please setup your OBI as this:

You will need to reset OBI to factory defaults- details below:

1.Reset OBI to factory defaults
http://www.obihai.com/faq/Troubleshooti ... tory-Reset
3. Add device to Obi portal
4. Select Freephoneline as a provider
5. Enter your name, sip user id and sip password
Name: "Your caller ID name"
User: "your sip user ID"
Pass: "your sip password"
6. click on submit
7. After 2 minutes, your device will be configured

Test the line and let me know.

Thanks,
ctm
Quiet One

Post by ctm »

sorry, that may soud really stupid, but how do I "add device to obi portal", is it like this

http://www.obihai.com/docs/OBiTALKDeviceManagement.pdf

I have to register an account with obi first?
Fongo Support
Site Moderator

Post by Fongo Support »

ctm wrote:sorry, that may soud really stupid, but how do I "add device to obi portal", is it like this

http://www.obihai.com/docs/OBiTALKDeviceManagement.pdf

I have to register an account with obi first?
Hi there,

I believe that you need to register.

Thanks,
ctm
Quiet One

Post by ctm »

Thank you. Someone would be kind enough to enlighten me what's going on....

I was out of the country after I posted my last reply here and just got back last week. So I hadn't got the chance to do the configuration as instructed in the post above by Fongo Support. That is, the configuration stays the same as I posted this thread, I didn't do anything to it yet. However, during last couple of days

1. I haven't got a single mysterious "100" call, someone said it was a port-scanning call.

2. Sometimes the call ID showed up, actually just for 3 or 4 calls, then for all other calls, it just showed "incoming calls".

So would it be reasonable for me to assume I actually did the configuration right (followed the instructions on someone's blog, the link is in the post above in this thread), it's some "mysterious" problem with Freephoneline? I certainly will try to re-configurate and see if makes any difference this weekend.

Another problem is when I made some long distance call in last couple of days, only succeeded once, and charged 68 cents. for more than 10 times, it was unsuccessful - it was dead silence the other end, and I was charged 5 times for 30 cents (5 x (4 connection fee+ 2 cents/min)). The call log shows "normal call clearing". I'm probably lucky that I didn't get charged for everytime there was a "normal call clearing", otherwise I would be paying more for unsuccessful calls than successful ones. This however has not happened to any local and domestic calls, yet.

who should I contact for those charges on unsuccessful calls? Thank you for your help.