DD-WRT one way audio problem

Have a question or problem with your Fongo application? This forum is the place to get help from both staff and fellow community members.
Fongo recommends Fongo Home Phone for a fully supported Home Phone system for only $4.95/mo
TetraSky
Just Passing Thru
SIP Device Name: SPA-2012-R
Firmware Version: 3.3.6
ISP Name: TekSavvy
Computer OS: Windows 7
Router: Netgear WNDR4300

DD-WRT one way audio problem

Post by TetraSky »

Hi, I've been trying to fix it out on my own for hours now, but I just can't figure it out.
My router (Netgear WNDR4300) has DD-WRT (latest build r23919) on it and my ATA is the Linksys SPA 2102. Got the $50 VOIP unlock key.

Problem : I can make and receive calls but only I can be heard, I cannot hear anything of what the other person says.

I'm pretty sure it's something in DD-WRT because I tried with a different router and it was pretty much plug and play, worked just fine. I have also flashed back to the stock firmware of my router and that also worked fine, problem is, I need the advanced features of DD-WRT on my network, so I can't afford to use the stock firmware.
Anyone else with DD-WRT mind sharing what they did to make it work? (The WNDR4300 is Atheros based, there is only 1 firmware available, which has features equivalent to the Mega broadcom firmware)

The SPA-2102 is plugged in the router so it goes like this Modem > Router > SPA-2102 > Phone. I have also configured the SPA-2102 exactly as shown on here http://forum.fongo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=326
bridonca
Technical Support
SIP Device Name: Netgear WGR615V
Firmware Version: latest
ISP Name: Eastlink
Computer OS: XP

Re: DD-WRT one way audio problem

Post by bridonca »

To get incoming audio working, you need to direct some RTP ports from the router to the Linksys SPA 2102 ATA device. By default, the SPA 2102 uses RTP ports 16384-16482, so get your router to forward them to the Linksys SPA 2102. After you do that, power down the modem, router and ATA for 30 seconds, and then boot them up. That ensures the devices use the saved settings and not what is on memory.

Though less likely, your modem still could be at issue. If you can get the modem in bridge mode, and let the router do all the work, that reduces complications. What do you have for a modem?
TetraSky
Just Passing Thru

Post by TetraSky »

My modem is a straight up modem, no built-in router.
It's the Thomson - DCM-475 (Cable, ISP is Teksavvy)
Considering it works fine with Stock firmware and a Linksys 120N (also stock firmware), that's why I thought my issue was with DD-WRT.

As for the ports, is it Port Range Forwarding (meaning 16384-16482 and everything in between) or simply Port Forward the two ports individually From and To ? I've tried both cases. I had also given a Static IP to the SPA 2102, to make sure all the port forwarding always went to it. It always failed to work.
Right now I've set them all as Port Range Forwarding.

Edit: Was able to Fix it, not ideal, but using the config someone told me to use on the DD-WRT forum.
campigenus wrote:Try this:

Voice Tab -> SIP
Handle VIA recieved YES
Substitute VIA Addr YES
STUN Enable YES (I left this on NO, and it still worked for me, only enable if everything else doesn't work for you)
STUN Server stunserver.org - this might, be off line, so you'll need to find a working stun server.

Voice Tab -> Line 1 Tab
NAT Mapping Enable YES
NAT Keepalive Enable YES
SIP Proxy-Require: $PROXY
I will keep trying to find a way to make it work Without a Stun server...
Edit 2 : Actually, disabled the Stun server, but kept the rest of the above configs, still works. Perfect. I've also disabled the port forwarding, to test something and it's still working, so I guess it was one of those NAT settings that did the trick. (and disconnected the router, modem and ATA for 2 minutes, replugged them, re-tested, still worked, so I guess my current settings are working)

Thanks for trying to help.
amiinee
Just Passing Thru
SIP Device Name: pap2t
Firmware Version: 5.1.6
ISP Name: cable

Post by amiinee »

is the stun server must be on ?
TetraSky
Just Passing Thru

Post by TetraSky »

amiinee wrote:is the stun server must be on ?
It isn't for me. I tried both ON and OFF, both worked with the rest of the above config, so I decided to leave it OFF, as it would be another liability for failure in the future if the server goes down.
amiinee
Just Passing Thru
SIP Device Name: pap2t
Firmware Version: 5.1.6
ISP Name: cable

Post by amiinee »

for me when i put it off i have one way audio
Fongo Support
Site Moderator

Post by Fongo Support »

amiinee wrote:for me when i put it off i have one way audio
Hi there,

You may need to open a ticket for your issue.

Regards,