Help ! Phone Line Stopped working with new Rogers Modem

Have a question or problem with your Fongo application? This forum is the place to get help from both staff and fellow community members.
Fongo recommends Fongo Home Phone for a fully supported Home Phone system for only $4.95/mo
fongo_phone
Just Passing Thru
SIP Device Name: Grand Stream (provided by FPL)
ISP Name: Rogers Cable
Computer OS: Windows 7
Router: Hitron CGN3

Help ! Phone Line Stopped working with new Rogers Modem

Post by fongo_phone »

Hi,

I was recently required to upgrade my modem from Rogers, in which case they give you the combined modem + router. Its a Hitron CGN3 model. I can no longer call certain long distance numbers (no ring on the other end, but the party I'm calling can hear me). Incoming calls seem fine.

With my old router (a Lynksys model pared with a dedicated older Rogers modem), I never had any issues and the service worked flawlessly for at least a year.

Any idea what I can try ? I know I can (as a last resort), put the modem in bridged mode and hook up my old router, but this new Hitron unit has better WIFI coverage and is dual band so I'd like to use it if possible.

Any suggestions appreciated. Are any customers using the Hitron CGN3 model from Rogers with success ?

Thanks,
Jake
Technical Support

Re: Help ! Phone Line Stopped working with new Rogers Modem

Post by Jake »

FPL has a special server and voip port for Rogers customers. I might be worth trying it. You can find details here > http://support.freephoneline.ca/entries ... redentials
Rogers Customers with Hitron CGN2/CGN3 Modem
SIP Server: voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060
Transport UDP
fongo_phone
Just Passing Thru

Post by fongo_phone »

Thanks, I tried this last night but it seemed to make it worse (local calls would not work incoming/outgoing, but would sometimes ring).

I believe my old SIP server setting was something like: sip.fongo.com.

Should I open up a support ticket ? Are other customers using the Hitron CGN3 successfully ? It so, I"d like to hear from them.
Jake
Technical Support

Post by Jake »

Yes, I would now suggest opening a support ticket, see my sig for links.
fongo_phone
Just Passing Thru

Post by fongo_phone »

I opened this Customer support ticket:

Request #71792

Hopefully I'll get some help soon !!
Fongo Support
Site Moderator

Post by Fongo Support »

fongo_phone wrote:I opened this Customer support ticket:

Request #71792

Hopefully I'll get some help soon !!
Hi,

Please send me a PM if you don't get support on this ticket.

Thanks,
mun33b
Just Passing Thru
SIP Device Name: Linksys SPA2102
Firmware Version: 5.2.13 (004)
ISP Name: Rogers Cable Internet
Computer OS: OSX
Router: HITRON CGN3ACR

Re: SPA2102 (Firmware 5.2.13.004)

Post by mun33b »

I have done the settings exactly according the instructions posted above. My firmware is the newest version (5.2.13.004). My local call quality is excellent and runs amazing. However when i call internationally after buying world credits...the quality is horrible as i can barely make out what the person is saying. However USA call quality is good..calls to ASIAN countries such as Dubai and Pakistan are horrible.

I purchased calling card, and call quality is a little better but still not as clear compared to local calls.

I am a rogers cable customer and have the CISCO DPC3825 modem bridged to my ASUS ROUTER RT-N56U and SPA 2102 ATA connected to router.

Is there anything i can do to fix my international call problems?
Fongo Support
Site Moderator

Post by Fongo Support »

mun33b wrote:I have done the settings exactly according the instructions posted above. My firmware is the newest version (5.2.13.004). My local call quality is excellent and runs amazing. However when i call internationally after buying world credits...the quality is horrible as i can barely make out what the person is saying. However USA call quality is good..calls to ASIAN countries such as Dubai and Pakistan are horrible.

I purchased calling card, and call quality is a little better but still not as clear compared to local calls.

I am a rogers cable customer and have the CISCO DPC3825 modem bridged to my ASUS ROUTER RT-N56U and SPA 2102 ATA connected to router.

Hi there,

try to disable sip alg in your ASUS ROUTER RT-N56

let me know.

Thanks,
mun33b
Just Passing Thru

Post by mun33b »

Fongo Support wrote:
mun33b wrote:I have done the settings exactly according the instructions posted above. My firmware is the newest version (5.2.13.004). My local call quality is excellent and runs amazing. However when i call internationally after buying world credits...the quality is horrible as i can barely make out what the person is saying. However USA call quality is good..calls to ASIAN countries such as Dubai and Pakistan are horrible.

Hi there,

try to disable sip alg in your ASUS ROUTER RT-N56

let me know.

Thanks,

I am not a very tech person and i can't find the option on how to disable SIP ALG on my router's IP.
mun33b
Just Passing Thru

Post by mun33b »

I found this but i do not know what telnet is?

For the Asus RT-N56U there is only one way of disable the SIP ALG function with the latest firmware.

Activate the telnet function of the router and do it by hand.

nvram set nf_sip=0
nvram commit
reboot

That's it the SIP ALG should be disable.
bridonca
Technical Support
SIP Device Name: Netgear WGR615V
Firmware Version: latest
ISP Name: Eastlink
Computer OS: XP

Post by bridonca »

This might kill 2 birds with one stone. Change your SIP server to voip4.freephoneline.ca Use port 6060 instead of the default 5060. That will bypass SIP ALG, (which is bound to port 5060) and allow you to use your poorly programmed Rogers modem.

You might be better off getting Fongo techs to look into your problem, because your technical knowledge seems to be a bit shallow on the subject. The downside is that is will cost you $20 if it is a misconfiguration problem on you part.
phantom2014
One Hit Wonder
SIP Device Name: Linksys PAP2T
Firmware Version: 5.1.6(LS)
ISP Name: Rogers
Router: ASUS RT-AC68U

Post by phantom2014 »

Jake wrote:FPL has a special server and voip port for Rogers customers. I might be worth trying it. You can find details here > http://support.freephoneline.ca/entries ... redentials
Rogers Customers with Hitron CGN2/CGN3 Modem
SIP Server: voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060
Transport UDP

I have the same problem.
Tried the setting with the server voip4 and the 6060.
It won't connect.

I restarted everything and no go.

My router is the Asus rtac68u

Please help