port scanning calls getting unbearable, please help

Have a question or problem with your Fongo application? This forum is the place to get help from both staff and fellow community members.
Fongo recommends Fongo Home Phone for a fully supported Home Phone system for only $4.95/mo
ctm
Quiet One
SIP Device Name: obi100
Firmware Version: 1.3.0.2815
ISP Name: teksavvy cable 25/2
Computer OS: windows 7

port scanning calls getting unbearable, please help

Post by ctm »

In last 30 minutes, I got 8 port scanning calls. More than 15 in last hour. The number showed up as 1004, 1001, as100, as1004, 106 etc.

I have not changed any settings since I set up FPL. The similar situation happened 3 or 4 times before. I remembered I reported here and someone here told me it was "automatic port scanning calls". Everytime happened, it lasted about a week or so then it was fine again. The interval between calls were more than an hour. I just unplugged the phone at night. This time it happened unbearably frequent, while I'm typing this post, it rang 3 times. I have to unplug the phone when I'm at home, essentially make the phone useless.

This port scanning call happens every couple of months and getting unbearably annoying. Please help me solve this problem. Thank you.
Mango3
Quiet One

Re: port scanning calls getting unbearable, please help

Post by Mango3 »

This problem is best solved with multiple approaches:

1) If your router is configured to forward your ATA's SIP port, you should remove this port forward unless it won't work any other way. If your ATA is in your router's DMZ, this should be immediately removed.

2) If your router has an option for "strict UDP session control" or similar, or a setting that makes its firewall more secure, you should use it. Your router's firewall is insecure.

3) If your router cannot be configured securely, then you can configure your ATA to reject scanner calls. If you use OBiTALK to configure your ATA, you may need to use OBi Expert Configuration to make the following changes.

Voice Services >> SPx Service:

X_UserAgentPort:
The above number is a random number; you can use any valid UDP port number between 20000-65535.

X_InboundCallRoute: {>('Insert your AuthUserName here'):ph}

Let us know if this solves the problem.
Is your router as secure as you think it is? Find out with this simple test: http://toao.net/580