they hear me but i could not hear them

Have a question or problem with your Fongo application? This forum is the place to get help from both staff and fellow community members.
Fongo recommends Fongo Home Phone for a fully supported Home Phone system for only $4.95/mo
maximebeauvais
Active Poster
SIP Device Name: OBi110
ISP Name: Bell Fibre 25/25
Router: Bell Home Hub 2000

they hear me but i could not hear them

Post by maximebeauvais »

I have my setup for over 2 months now. i have gone through all the detail except this one.
Every 4 or 5 person that call me this is what happen: '' I answer the phone, could not hear them but they can hear me'' and I hang up and they call back and everything is fine.

any idea of what could cause this problem....like i said it only happen from time to time.
bridonca
Technical Support
SIP Device Name: Netgear WGR615V
Firmware Version: latest
ISP Name: Eastlink
Computer OS: XP

Re: they hear me but i could not hear them

Post by bridonca »

What do you have for a router, a modem, and an ATA? Usually these type of problems occur when the router is unable to figure out where to route RTP audio packets from the internet, to the ATA. In your case, it sometimes figures it out, other times, not so much. If you have modem that is acting like a router, you have too many routers bogging up the mix. Took many cooks.

In an ideal situation, I would have the modem put in bridge mode, and allow the router to do the routing. I would make sure I get a decent router, preferably one that is DD-WRT friendly. And it is best if the router does not have to do much guessing, so I would forward RTP port(s) from the router to the ATA manually. You have to find out what the ATA device uses for RTP port(s)
Mango3
Quiet One

Post by Mango3 »

Try the following:

1) Disable your router's SIP ALG, if there is a setting for this.

2) If such a setting does not exist, set your SIP Server to voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060, and also your SIP Port to 6060.

3) If that does not solve the problem, use your router to set up a UDP port forward of your ATA's RTP port range.

Since you did not provide any information about the ATA and router(s) that you are using, I will leave it to you to figure out how to do this. One of the above configurations should solve the problem.
Is your router as secure as you think it is? Find out with this simple test: http://toao.net/580
maximebeauvais
Active Poster

Post by maximebeauvais »

bridonca wrote:What do you have for a router, a modem, and an ATA? Usually these type of problems occur when the router is unable to figure out where to route RTP audio packets from the internet, to the ATA. In your case, it sometimes figures it out, other times, not so much. If you have modem that is acting like a router, you have too many routers bogging up the mix. Took many cooks.

In an ideal situation, I would have the modem put in bridge mode, and allow the router to do the routing. I would make sure I get a decent router, preferably one that is DD-WRT friendly. And it is best if the router does not have to do much guessing, so I would forward RTP port(s) from the router to the ATA manually. You have to find out what the ATA device uses for RTP port(s)
thanks for quick reply.

1) I`m with videotron fibe30
2) modem: Thompson dcm475 (videotron installed this modem around a month ago)
3) router: Dlink dir615
4) ATA: OBi100

if you have any idea to help me, let me know.

i was thinking of getting the dd wrt on my router but i don't know if i should do it. i have never done that before.
maximebeauvais
Active Poster

Post by maximebeauvais »

Mango3 wrote:Try the following:

1) Disable your router's SIP ALG, if there is a setting for this.

2) If such a setting does not exist, set your SIP Server to voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060, and also your SIP Port to 6060.

3) If that does not solve the problem, use your router to set up a UDP port forward of your ATA's RTP port range.

Since you did not provide any information about the ATA and router(s) that you are using, I will leave it to you to figure out how to do this. One of the above configurations should solve the problem.
thanks for you help.

1) my router had this fonction, so i disable the SIP ALG (not really sure what it will do but I have done it)

I will wait a few day to see if it correct the problem

thanks
maximebeauvais
Active Poster

Post by maximebeauvais »

I had to try it before going to bed......disable the sip alg on my router = could not do a phone call. I try to call my cell and there was no tone and after 30 sec I get a message that call could not be complete :(
bridonca
Technical Support

Post by bridonca »

The Dlink DIR-615 is one of those routers that are on the VOIP naughty list. It just does not play well. Apparently there is a firmware update that addresses the SIP VOIP issue, but I decided to upgrade the firmware to DD-WRT, which improved things immensely. The router died about 6 months later, so I do not have fond memories.

The Thompson DCM475 modem is not a very good router, so if you can get that in bridge mode, that would be good.
maximebeauvais
Active Poster

Post by maximebeauvais »

bridonca wrote:The Dlink DIR-615 is one of those routers that are on the VOIP naughty list. It just does not play well. Apparently there is a firmware update that addresses the SIP VOIP issue, but I decided to upgrade the firmware to DD-WRT, which improved things immensely. The router died about 6 months later, so I do not have fond memories.

The Thompson DCM475 modem is not a very good router, so if you can get that in bridge mode, that would be good.
How to get my modem in bridge mode?
maximebeauvais
Active Poster

Post by maximebeauvais »

I tried to access my modem to see if it was in bridge mode or routed PPP.
I could not access it.
1) power off modem and router
2) plug my laptop directly to my modem with a network cable
3) power on my modem
4) cmd, ipconfig and I could not see any address ??? very weird, normally i'm able to see 192.168.0.1
5) open web browser and try different ip address like 192.168.0.1, 192.168.0.100, 192.168.1.1.....etc
6) could not see my modem :(

after reading one of the big topic here, I have added the check box to this settting in my OBi100:
X_KeepAliveEnable (x)

I have done like 10 call with my cell to my home and everything it was good

I will wait a few days to see if any problem. if still some problem, i will try to setup the ddr wrt to my router.
Fongo Support
Site Moderator

Post by Fongo Support »

maximebeauvais wrote:I tried to access my modem to see if it was in bridge mode or routed PPP.
I could not access it.
3) power on my modem
4) cmd, ipconfig and I could not see any address ??? very weird, normally i'm able to see 192.168.0.1
5) open web browser and try different ip address like 192.168.0.1, 192.168.0.100, 192.168.1.1.....etc

after reading one of the big topic here, I have added the check box to this settting in my OBi100:
X_KeepAliveEnable (x)

I will wait a few days to see if any problem. if still some problem, i will try to setup the ddr wrt to my router.

Hi there,

Re->after reading one of the big topic here, I have added the check box to this settting in my OBi100:
X_KeepAliveEnable (x)

Why was this setting disabled on your OBI?

Have you seen this post below?

http://forum.fongo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=16090

Please let me know.

Regards,
Cyber
Active Poster
SIP Device Name: SPA112
Firmware Version: 1.4.1 SR5
ISP Name: Ebox (cable)
Computer OS: Windows 10 PRO x64
Router: Asuswrt-Merlin RT-AC68U

Post by Cyber »

Thomson DCM475 is only a cable modem.

This IS NOT a router. You can't put a cable modem in bridge mode.
bridonca
Technical Support

Post by bridonca »

Cyber wrote:Thomson DCM475 is only a cable modem.

This IS NOT a router. You can't put a cable modem in bridge mode.
That was a big mistake on my part. Worse, I was thinking it was a DSL modem. I am right about the router though, I have had personal experience with that.
Cyber
Active Poster
SIP Device Name: SPA112
Firmware Version: 1.4.1 SR5
ISP Name: Ebox (cable)
Computer OS: Windows 10 PRO x64
Router: Asuswrt-Merlin RT-AC68U

Router

Post by Cyber »

D-Link DIR-615 is a garbage router for VoIP and the brand itself is a garbage. These brands are on my blacklist: D-Link, TP-Link, Netgear, Belkin/Linksys.

If you are shopping for a new router and want a worry free experience with VoIP :

ASUS RT-AC68U
ASUS RT-AC87U
maximebeauvais
Active Poster

Post by maximebeauvais »

Fongo Support wrote:
maximebeauvais wrote:I tried to access my modem to see if it was in bridge mode or routed PPP.
I could not access it.
3) power on my modem

X_KeepAliveEnable (x)

Hi there,

Re->after reading one of the big topic here, I have added the check box to this settting in my OBi100:
X_KeepAliveEnable (x)

Why was this setting disabled on your OBI?

Have you seen this post below?

http://forum.fongo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=16090

Please let me know.

Regards,
It have not used this guide. It was pretty similar. I havery looked at all the setting

Thanks
maximebeauvais
Active Poster

Re: Router

Post by maximebeauvais »

Cyber wrote:D-Link DIR-615 is a garbage router for VoIP and the brand itself is a garbage. These brands are on my blacklist: D-Link, TP-Link, Netgear, Belkin/Linksys.

If you are shopping for a new router and want a worry free experience with VoIP :

ASUS RT-AC68U
ASUS RT-AC87U
OK I understand that you don'the like it.
For now I don'the the budget for a new router.
if I upgrade to ddr wrt, will it be wayyyyyyyy better or just OK.
I have never done this and I don'the want end with a none working router if something goes bad
bridonca
Technical Support

Post by bridonca »

At the very least, you need to update the router to the latest firmware. The D-Link DIR-615 has documented issues with SIP VOIP, and I am told the firmware update addresses that.

As for DD-WRT, it is worth it, at least compared to what passes for default firmware in the D-Link DIR-615. You certainly have a good cause for concern though, there is a reasonable chance you can brick your router, especially if you are the type that bulls through instructions. I have personally never bricked a router though.

Here are instructions on how to flash the D-Link DIR-615 to DD-WRT. You are going to have to read the instructions a few times. http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/DIR-615C
maximebeauvais
Active Poster

Post by maximebeauvais »

ok, i still had some problem during this week.

i will spend the day later to upgrade my router with DD-WRT.

if it is not working, then I will try to get a new stable router that work best with voip