dd wrt setup with FPL

Have a question or problem with your Fongo application? This forum is the place to get help from both staff and fellow community members.
Fongo recommends Fongo Home Phone for a fully supported Home Phone system for only $4.95/mo
maximebeauvais
Active Poster
SIP Device Name: OBi110
ISP Name: Bell Fibre 25/25
Router: Bell Home Hub 2000

dd wrt setup with FPL

Post by maximebeauvais »

Ok, i have upgrade my dlink dir615 to dd wrt.

so far, the internet work....wireless work....and look like the port 5060 is alreay open by default????

I have try to call and received call and it looks like it is working so far.

is there anything I will do special in the dd wrt setup? like enable or disable QoS?

thanks to help
bridonca
Technical Support
SIP Device Name: Netgear WGR615V
Firmware Version: latest
ISP Name: Eastlink
Computer OS: XP

Re: dd wrt setup with FPL

Post by bridonca »

If a router does what it is supposed to do, in most cases, you really should not have to do anything.

The problem is, depending on your configuration, the router sometimes forgets where to route the correct packets, which is why I prefer to forward specific ports from the router to the ATA.

Port 5060 is usually a outgoing port, so you really do not have to forward that port. RTP port(s) are incoming, and it is a good idea to forward them form the router to the ATA. I forget what your ATA device is, but whatever RTP port your ATA uses, that it the RTP port(s) you forward from the router to the ATA.

QOS is a waste of time and bandwidth, because the ISP usually already shapes your traffic, which make QOS counterproductive. If you do torrent, limit your upload slots to 2, and limit your clients to 50. Your VOIP quality while torrenting will improve, and torrents will not significantly drop in speed, and actually might improve.

I say all this, but really, if it works, leave it alone. You might have to power down gear every couple of months, but maybe not that either.
Mango3
Quiet One

Post by Mango3 »

bridonca wrote:QOS is a waste of time and bandwidth
Does your VoIP sound as good as or better than a landline 100% of the time? If yes, then your statement I quoted above is correct. However, the vast majority of VoIP users require properly configured QoS.

Limiting your individual bandwidth use is a great idea, but not helpful if other members of your household are non-compliant. My family can saturate our available bandwidth just by browsing. Without QoS, VoIP would be completely unusable for us. By configuring my router to reduce the speed of nonessential traffic before the ISP does, I make sure there is always a little room left for VoIP. It's true that the ISP also limits my bandwidth, but I would rather do it myself so that I can decide what is nonessential. Also, if I don't saturate my internet connection, I can keep ping time and jitter to a minimum.

As far as I'm aware DD-WRT does not require port forwarding.
bridonca wrote: You might have to power down gear every couple of months

Code: Select all

Asterisk*CLI> !uptime
 20:35:38 up 338 days,  4:47,  1 user,  load average: 1.00, 1.00, 1.00
Is your router as secure as you think it is? Find out with this simple test: http://toao.net/580
bridonca
Technical Support
SIP Device Name: Netgear WGR615V
Firmware Version: latest
ISP Name: Eastlink
Computer OS: XP

Post by bridonca »

Here is a decent QOS tutorial, if you feel you have to do it, might as well do it right. I strongly recommend it be read through a few times. It will give you an idea of what QOS can and cannot do.

http://www.linksysinfo.org/index.php?th ... ion.28349/
maximebeauvais
Active Poster

Post by maximebeauvais »

Thanks for all your reply.

My router is Dlink DIR 615.....now with DD WRT upgrade
My ATA: OBi100
Internet connection: Fibe 30/10

My initial problem was that every couple of time, people could not hear me when they were calling. They had to call back and it was working.
So yesterday, I upgrade my router and so far, everything is fine. I have done like 8 call with my cell and my wife cell to my home phone.
I do torrent and I have limited my upload torrent to 100kb/s.
I have done some VOIP speed test and it was all great with my internet connection.

For QoS, I have read a few place that this was a good think to setup. That's why I was asking my question.
On the DD WRT setup, there are a check box to enable to disable QoS. I have check the box to enable.
I will leave it like that for a few day and see if it could fix my problem. Then I will disable it for a few days......testing time ;)

Again thanks
Mango3
Quiet One

Post by Mango3 »

maximebeauvais wrote:On the DD WRT setup, there are a check box to enable to disable QoS. I have check the box to enable.
This by itself will not do anything. You also need to configure the uplink and downlink speeds of your internet connection, minus 20%. Then you need to assign your OBi's MAC address high priority.
Is your router as secure as you think it is? Find out with this simple test: http://toao.net/580
maximebeauvais
Active Poster

Post by maximebeauvais »

Mango3 wrote:
maximebeauvais wrote:On the DD WRT setup, there are a check box to enable to disable QoS. I have check the box to enable.
This by itself will not do anything. You also need to configure the uplink and downlink speeds of your internet connection, minus 20%. Then you need to assign your OBi's MAC address high priority.
ok thanks, I will read more about QoS and I will try to set it up correctly !!!
maximebeauvais
Active Poster

Post by maximebeauvais »

So far, with the upgrade of DDWRT on Sunday, everything is fine. No more problem. We have done and receive probably 20-30 calls.

I hope that wit the new software, that it was the permanent fix for my problem ;)
maximebeauvais
Active Poster

Post by maximebeauvais »

As of today, I have been with FPL for 3 months.

I had some issue at the begining but now everything is working fine :)

Thanks a lot for all your support