Message Waiting Indicator not working...

Have a question or problem with your Fongo application? This forum is the place to get help from both staff and fellow community members.
Fongo recommends Fongo Home Phone for a fully supported Home Phone system for only $4.95/mo

Message Waiting Indicator not working...

Postby solidis » 01/25/2015

I just ported my home phone number to FPL and everything works fantastic with my obi200. However I found that MWI seems to get stuck with the light flashing and the stuttering dial tone. I've been reading up on all the guides and in this forum to no avail. I've checked the website to see if any voicemails and faxes are waiting but it's clear. I've reset the Ata device and have tried several mwi settings toggled on and off. But nothing seems to work so far. At this point I've resorted to disabling the mwi feature until I can find a fix. One guide indicated that the mwi feature has never worked well for FPL service and that it should be disabled. Does anyone have the mwi setup working on their obihai device or is it hopeless?
solidis
Just Passing Thru

Re: Message Waiting Indicator not working...

Postby Liptonbrisk » 01/26/2015

solidis wrote: Does anyone have the mwi setup working on their obihai device or is it hopeless?

Yes, MWI works with OBi ATAs and Freephoneline without any problems.

If you're coming from a regular home phone experience and expecting MWI to immediately trigger after a message is left or immediately be disabled after deleting a message, you'll need to adjust your expectations.

MWI may not trigger until 4-5 minutes after a message is left, and the indicator may not turn off until 4-5 minutes after all messages are deleted.

I don't know the exact time, but it's been about 4-5 minutes for me until FPL sends a packet to my ATA.

For testing purposes, allow 10 minutes for MWI to trigger or be disabled.
Please do not send me emails; I do not work for nor represent Freephoneline or Fongo. Post questions on the forums so that others may learn from responses or assist you. Thank you. If you have an issue with your account or have a billing issue, submit a ticket here: https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. Visit http://status.fongo.com/ to check FPL/Fongo service status. Freephoneline setup guides can be found at viewforum.php?f=15.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

SIP Device Name: Obihai 202/2182, Groundwire
Firmware Version: various
ISP Name: FTTH
Computer OS: Windows 64 bit
Router: Asuswrt-Merlin & others

Postby solidis » 01/26/2015

Hi Liptonbrisk,

I did read about how FPL can take up to 10 minutes to fully update the mwi status from previous posts. I waited until the next day for it to update but the light and stuttering dial tone were still present. Maybe it's my account and I need to open a trouble ticket with FPL? I think this might be my next step for a resolution.
solidis
Just Passing Thru

Postby Liptonbrisk » 01/26/2015

solidis wrote:Hi Liptonbrisk,

I did read about how FPL can take up to 10 minutes to fully update the mwi status from previous posts. I waited until the next day for it to update but the light and stuttering dial tone were still present. Maybe it's my account and I need to open a trouble ticket with FPL? I think this might be my next step for a resolution.

Sorry, I'm not sure.
Incoming calls are working for you?
What router are you using?
Are you using the latest firmware for your OBi?
Have you tried powering off your devices for about 20 minutes (router and ata)?
Are you using a Panasonic phone?

It could be an issue with your NAT router, but then, I'm not sure why incoming calls would work.

You may wish to open a ticket. MWI problems are annoying to resolve.
Please do not send me emails; I do not work for nor represent Freephoneline or Fongo. Post questions on the forums so that others may learn from responses or assist you. Thank you. If you have an issue with your account or have a billing issue, submit a ticket here: https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. Visit http://status.fongo.com/ to check FPL/Fongo service status. Freephoneline setup guides can be found at viewforum.php?f=15.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

Postby Liptonbrisk » 02/06/2015

lol I'm now suddenly experiencing the same issue.

Clearing MessageWaiting in the ATA does nothing. If you wait a few minutes, MW indicator returns, and MessageWaiting will automatically be checked again due to FPL's server saying I have voice mail when I don't (not in the portal either).

I'm going to inspect incoming packets later to check, but I'm pretty sure my FPL VM account is bugged. There are no messages.
Server response from FPL is saying there is.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

Postby Fongo Support » 02/06/2015

Liptonbrisk wrote:lol I'm now suddenly experiencing the same issue.

Clearing MessageWaiting in the ATA does nothing. If you wait a few minutes, MW indicator returns, and MessageWaiting will automatically be checked again due to FPL's server saying I have voice mail when I don't (not in the portal either).

I'm going to inspect incoming packets later to check, but I'm pretty sure my FPL VM account is bugged. There are no messages.
Server response from FPL is saying there is.

Hi there,

Just a suggestion- have you tried to clear the MWI on your cordless phone?

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16712&p=65524&hilit=panasonic+mwi#p65572

http://www.kxinfo.us/mwl.htm

Let me know.

regards,
Fongo Support
Site Moderator

Fongo Support wrote:Hi there,

Just a suggestion- have you tried to clear the MWI on your cordless phone?

Hi,

Thank you for trying to help me.

This isn't the issue. I have lots of different phones. Some are corded. They all do the same thing.

Message Waiting is being triggered in the adapter (log into ATA and Message Waiting is checked). So, it doesn't matter what I do with any phone.
The condition of voice mail indicator being triggered on any phone means that, first, MessageWaiting must be checked or on in the ATA.

MessageWaiting can only be checked by FPL's server.

When I uncheck it, the light on my phone goes out.

Then I wait. And MessageWaiting is eventually turned on by FPL's server again after 4-5 minutes.

I just removed my OBi ATA and swapped in an old Linksys ATA. Same thing happens.

FPL's server thinks I have a message somewhere sitting on my account. I don't.

Is my ATA registered properly? Yes
Can I make calls? Yes
Can I receive calls? Yes
Does unplugging equipment and rebooting help? No

By the way, I haven't encountered this issue for about a year. Voicemail indicator has been working fine for me up until now.
When I delete voicemail, the indicator normally disappears. In fact, I tested when I first replied in this thread on January 26th.
I had no issues leaving a message, seeing the indicator come on, deleting the message, and watching the indicator disappear.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

Postby Mango » 02/06/2015

I once saw this issue with another service provider, not FPL. The workaround was to leave yourself a message, then delete it.
Mango
Tried and True

SIP Device Name: OBi110
Firmware Version: 1.3.0 (Build: 2824)
ISP Name: Telus
Computer OS: Windows 7
Router: Toastman Tomato

Mango wrote:I once saw this issue with another service provider, not FPL. The workaround was to leave yourself a message, then delete it.

Hi,

Thank you for trying to help.

I've done this about 10 times today. Unfortunately, that doesn't work.

A lot of us used to encounter this issue with FPL a few years ago. This is not the first time I've encountered this problem with FPL.
However, I certainly haven't had this issue in the past year. The fix, for me, has always come from FPL's end, in particular, after server maintenance.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

Postby Liptonbrisk » 02/07/2015

Just to update, the problem persists across softphones, ATAs, and IP addresses on voip.freephoneline.ca. when testing my account.
It happens at any location, using anyone's modem, router, etc.

And leaving voicemails, faxes, etc., and then deleting them doesn't help.

Messagewaiting will remain on in the ATA.

Unchecking Messagewaiting doesn't help because FPL's server just turns it back on again after awhile.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

Postby Fongo Support » 02/07/2015

Liptonbrisk wrote:Just to update, the problem persists across softphones, ATAs, and IP addresses on voip.freephoneline.ca. when testing my account.
It happens at any location, using anyone's modem, router, etc.

And leaving voicemails, faxes, etc., and then deleting them doesn't help.

Messagewaiting will remain on in the ATA.

Unchecking Messagewaiting doesn't help because FPL's server just turns it back on again after awhile.

Hi there,

Looks like this will not be resolved soon.

Sorry for the inconvenience- your account has an issue and it will not be repaired today.

Regards,
Fongo Support
Site Moderator

Postby Liptonbrisk » 02/07/2015

Fongo Support wrote:Hi there,

Looks like this will not be resolved soon.

Sorry for the inconvenience- your account has an issue and it will not be repaired today.

Thank you for your help.

I see different results depending on what SIP server I try:

1) For voip.freephoneline.ca and voip4.freephoneline.ca

messagewaiting comes on no matter what

2) For voip2.freephoneline.ca

messagewaiting only comes on when a message is left, but messagewaiting never turns off again after the message has been deleted
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

Postby Liptonbrisk » 02/08/2015

The issue seems to have been fixed shortly after 3 a.m. eastern standard time this morning.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

Postby tango » 02/09/2015

Liptonbrisk wrote:
solidis wrote: Does anyone have the mwi setup working on their obihai device or is it hopeless?

Yes, MWI works with OBi ATAs and Freephoneline without any problems.

If you're coming from a regular home phone experience and expecting MWI to immediately trigger after a message is left or immediately be disabled after deleting a message, you'll need to adjust your expectations.

MWI may not trigger until 4-5 minutes after a message is left, and the indicator may not turn off until 4-5 minutes after all messages are deleted.

I don't know the exact time, but it's been about 4-5 minutes for me until FPL sends a signal to my ATA.

For testing purposes, allow 10 minutes for MWI to trigger or be disabled.

Being new to voip and FPL, I now catch up w/ this MWI feature (hopefully not bug :)). I can agree with the above: it'd take a few minutes (not really timed) to "see" a VM display on the handset LCD screen. However, the message "missed call" was immediate. My handset (cordless) did not have a stutter tone, but it is replaced by those msgs, first w/ Missed Call, then w/ VM a few minutes later.

Pressing the soft key VM will dial the FPL access code *98 (which had to be first entered), the rest is the same as expected. Once I listened to and cleared the msg(s), the VM display still appeared for a few minutes for FPL server to clear it.

Note that my phone comes w/ an answering machine, which I can activate w/ a switch. Once depressed, a red LED indicator is ON. After 4 rings it will take over the FPL voice mail. The "play" indicator is lid, ready for re-play the message.

I now have the option of using either VM msg centre, not sure which to use yet :)! The FPL VM is convenient when travelling as the audio VM is also sent to my email. At home, the red light indicator is more noticeable.

Edited: my handset also have a blinking LED indicating msg waiting, so it actually works with FPL server.

Edited 11 Feb '15 : I wrote too soon, MWI and FPL server don't seem to get along well. I don't know why there is a difference a day later, now MWI just stopped working. "New Voice Mail" now always ON, pressing VM will dial *98 automatically, starting with a Stutter tone, only to find out there is no message. Even when a voice mail was deliberately left using my cell phone, deleting the real voice mail did not stop this annoying false indicator. This went on since last night, regardless of numerrous hard reset/clear by pressing # key on the handset, the blinking LED stops momentarily only to resume a minute later. Disable the Stutter tone detect did not help.

Checking online for similar problem with MWI with "selected" service providers, I also found Comcast. A solution is apparently achieve by the SP to reset the Voice Mail of the affected subscriber (??). Jeff -The Editor of his blog somehow gave up on setting up MWI using an OBi202 with FPL in his blog:
http://blog.voipdiy.com/2013/07/obi202- ... oipms.html

I opened a ticket but so far have not heard back from Support yet, we'll see :(

Edited 12 Feb 15 MWI issue fixed. Thanks
tango
Just Passing Thru

SIP Device Name: OBi110i
Firmware Version: 1.3.0 Build 2872
ISP Name: Bell DSL
Router: Sagemcom 2864

MWI

Postby Gabriel » 03/29/2015

Hi,
I have freephoneline with obi200. I use a Panasonic cordless phone.
Currently I have no voicemail recorded (deleted everything), however the phone indicates I have VM (stutter tone + voice mail message displayed on handset).
I cleared momentarily the message on the handset (panasonic instructions) by pressing # for 5 seconds. However it came back right away. Also powercycle the cordless phone. No difference.
Anybody have any suggestions?
Gabriel
Just Passing Thru

SIP Device Name: obi200
Router: RT-n56u

Re: MWI

Postby bartekd » 03/29/2015

Either dial *98 from your phone, and see if you have a message, or logon to freephoneline.ca and see if you have any messages there. Maybe you have a voicemail there...
bartekd
Active Poster

Postby Jake » 03/29/2015

if you get a fax come in rather than a voicemail you can only clear it online. It will save it as a PDF in your admin area.

It also takes a little while for the MWI to clear itself, it isn't instant by any means.
Jake
Technical Support

Hi, I am having the same problem. I have an obi200
I have freephoneline.ca on SP1, Google Voice on SP2 and localphone on SP3.

The original obi200 voip configuration was:
FPL has MWI and VMWI enable, MessageWaiting was checked
GV has MWI and VMWI disabled (so this was ok already)
LP had MWI and VMWI enabled, MessageWaiting was unchecked. I disabled then, save and reboot.
(So now only FPL is enabled for VM)

I did have some new real VM. I listen to the VM (*98) and then deleted messages from FPL website.
Yet, obi200 FPL MessageWaiting was still checked after 10+ minutes. Phone had stutter+"new messages"

So I forced "messagewaiting" to off....VM indicator on phone disappear.... it came back by itself some 6 minutes later.

Appreciate if anybody has any suggestions. FPL online voicemail/fax is empty.
Gabriel
Just Passing Thru

My issue was no longer there this morning. I will keep an eye on it.
Gabriel
Just Passing Thru

Message waiting

Postby mdarryl » 05/13/2015

Ive gone thought the posts and didn't see anything to this (or may have missed it)

ATA Cisco SPA122 in bridge mode
Rogers internet
voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060
Panasonic cordless phones

The problem is this
Message Waiting: Yes

Web site/*98 has no message to delete

How do you turn it off or make it go away

well it seem to fix itself after a few days
mdarryl
One Hit Wonder

SIP Device Name: spa112
Computer OS: windows
Router: asus

Postby scansbar » 06/10/2015

I have the same problem, has support looked into this? Did all the troubleshooting and steps that folks recommended above and same issue....voicemail notification when there is no voicemail.
Anyone know what the cause is..
I'm using the OBI202
scansbar
Just Passing Thru

SIP Device Name: OBI202
Firmware Version: 3.0.1.4738
ISP Name: Teksavvy Cable
Router: Asus RT-AC68U

Postby leasedline » 06/15/2015

Same issue as previous user. Running on Obihai 202, cleared voicemail several days ago and the indicator is still flashing. Absolutely no changes made on my end. This used to work just fine.
leasedline
Just Passing Thru

SIP Device Name: OBI202
Firmware Version: 3.0.1 (Build: 4581)
ISP Name: teksavvy
Router: wrt54gl

Message Waiting Indicator not clearing

Postby EliG » 12/13/2015

Someone sent me a text from a Fido mobile number to my FPL number. The message arrived as a voice mail. I am not sure who did the conversion from text to voice. I am guessing Fido.

I deleted the message from the mailbox, but Message Waiting Indicator keeps flashing. I also get the stuttering dial tone. It's been more than 12 hours since I deleted the message.

*98 tells me that I have no messages in the mailbox. The web interface shows the same: the mailbox is clear.

I tried a few things to get rid of MWI, but none of them helped:

1. Left myself a normal voice message, then deleted it.
2. Disabled and re-enabled MWI in the ATA.
3. Power cycled the modem, the router, and the ATA.

Is there anything else I can do at this point?

Can I open a support ticket as an FPL customer?
EliG
Just Passing Thru

SIP Device Name: SPA112
Firmware Version: 1.4.1 (SR5)
ISP Name: EBOX (Rogers cable)
Computer OS: Windows 10
Router: Asus RT-AC68U (stock fw)

Postby LongTime User » 12/23/2015

Hi:

I have been using Freephoneline for a long time now and repeatedly had the VM 'message waiting' dial tone (stutter), message light and 'New Voice Mail' indicator on my phones after I had absolutely confirmed no messages were present (through logging in to web interface and through phone VM *98).
In the past I had been able to clear it by leaving a VM, deleating it via *98 and then exiting the VM gracefully with "*". This time however it seems to be pretty stubbornly "on". I have tried resetting everything to no avail.

The indicator seems to be coming from the Voip server as others have said. I will open a ticket to see if it gets resolved and post back if so.
LongTime User
Just Passing Thru

SIP Device Name: PAP2
ISP Name: Teksavvy
Computer OS: NA

Postby EliG » 12/27/2015

A follow-up to my post on 12/13/2015:

I got rid of the Message Waiting Indicator by disabling message waiting feature in SPA112:

Voice > User1 > Supplementary Service Settings
Message Waiting: no

To be clear, this setting gets rid of the indicator on the phone and the stuttering dial tone. It doesn't solve the actual problem on the server.

I just tried turning the flag back to yes. MW indicator is still there on the server, two weeks after I got the message.

Fongo Support, any chance you can look into this if I open a ticket?
EliG
Just Passing Thru

SIP Device Name: SPA112
Firmware Version: 1.4.1 (SR5)
ISP Name: EBOX (Rogers cable)
Computer OS: Windows 10
Router: Asus RT-AC68U (stock fw)

Next

Return to Community Support