Registration keeps failing on voip.freephoneline.ca

Have a question or problem with your Fongo application? This forum is the place to get help from both staff and fellow community members.
Fongo recommends Fongo Home Phone for a fully supported Home Phone system for only $4.95/mo
lobotiger
Quiet One

Registration keeps failing on voip.freephoneline.ca

Post by lobotiger »

Hi Support,

For the past month or so I've noticed that my home phone line has no dial tone at times. When I check my PAP2T adapter I will find that it is not registered to the server (it has failed to register). Rebooting the device will not work. Switching over to voip2.freephoneline.ca will immediately work and the service is back and working fine. This will last for a number of days and then the same problem occurs where the adapter reports that it has failed to register with the server. Changing the server back to voip.freephoneline.ca will immediately work and we start the cycle over again.

I'm finding that I have to jump into the adapter at least once a week now to play around with these settings. Is there something going on with the servers or should I be using other servers?

Thanks.

LoboTiger
bridonca
Technical Support
SIP Device Name: Netgear WGR615V
Firmware Version: latest
ISP Name: Eastlink
Computer OS: XP

Re: Registration keeps failing on voip.freephoneline.ca

Post by bridonca »

Could be something wrong on the Fongo side, but it makes me wonder if your PAP2 is giving up the ghost.
Jake
Technical Support

Post by Jake »

I would check the registration timers and make sure it is not trying to register or re-register too often.

To me this sounds like your are being temporarily block from the server, which happens when you register too often.

The link in my sig should have the current timers values that you should be using.
lobotiger
Quiet One

Post by lobotiger »

I checked the registration timer and it's always been set to 3600 sec. I don't see any other timers to adjust. The settings I have in there have been the same for the past 4 years so it's kind of odd that it's suddenly started happening. I've also used the guide in the sticky thread to help configure your PAP2T.

Any other suggestions?

LoboTiger
Fongo Support
Site Moderator

Post by Fongo Support »

lobotiger wrote:I checked the registration timer and it's always been set to 3600 sec. I don't see any other timers to adjust. The settings I have in there have been the same for the past 4 years so it's kind of odd that it's suddenly started happening. I've also used the guide in the sticky thread to help configure your PAP2T.

Any other suggestions?

LoboTiger
Hi,

Please login into your ATA and click on Admin/advanced and provide a screenshot of the System tab. Looks like your ATA has DNS issue.

Regards,
lobotiger
Quiet One

Post by lobotiger »

Here's the screenshot.

My DNS is pointing to my pfsense firewall and it is using Google's DNS.

LoboTiger
Fongo Support
Site Moderator

Post by Fongo Support »

Hi,

At least you know where your issue is.

Please change DHCP from no to yes and primary dns leave it blank.

Save settings and reboot.

Let us know.

regards,
lobotiger
Quiet One

Post by lobotiger »

Sorry but why would I want to change the device to DHCP its address? I want it hard coded to 192.168.0.2 for my LAN. If it were to DHCP for its IP and DNS then it would be getting the same kind of results as its configured now. If you can explain a bit more it might help in understanding your logic.

LoboTiger
Fongo Support
Site Moderator

Post by Fongo Support »

lobotiger wrote:Sorry but why would I want to change the device to DHCP its address? I want it hard coded to 192.168.0.2 for my LAN. If it were to DHCP for its IP and DNS then it would be getting the same kind of results as its configured now. If you can explain a bit more it might help in understanding your logic.

LoboTiger
Hi,

re->f you can explain a bit more it might help in understanding your logic.

This is actually a question for PAP2T dev team. Why is not working properly with static IP- not sure.

Last FW was in 2007- we are in 2016 now.

My guess is that there is a bug in the fw and they will never fix it.

Perhaps Mango can explain this- not sure.

All i know if that if you change to dhcp it will connect. try it:)

Regards,
lobotiger
Quiet One

Post by lobotiger »

Interesting. Ok the next time it refuses to register with the current server, I'll change the settings to DHCP as suggested and report back.

Thanks.

LoboTiger
hanke
Lightly Seasoned
SIP Device Name: SPA3102
Firmware Version: 5.2.13(GW002)
ISP Name: Cogeco Cable
Router: DPC3848VM (Modem/Router)

Post by hanke »

I had experienced problems serveral months ago with my SPA3102 Cisco ATA where it would not register with FPL all of a sudden after working for many years. I ended up reflashing the latest firmware which is fairly old like the PAP2T and input my account details and settings. I am also using a static IP running a WRT54G router with DD-WRT on it but no port forwarding at all. I have my DNS setup to look at Googles 8.8.8.8 address. Guess you could try to reload the firmware onto your ATA, perhaps something has gone buggy in it.
SPA3102_FPL.png
SPA3102_FPL.png (104.65 KiB) Viewed 29958 times
lobotiger
Quiet One

Post by lobotiger »

So the PAP2T couldn't register to voip.freephoneline.ca yesterday and I changed things to DHCP as suggested and to my surprise it actually was able to register with the server after rebooting and grabbing everything via DHCP. Thanks for the tips and I'll see about maybe re-flashing the firmware to see if it makes things more stable. For now, I've setup a hard coded DHCP setting on my firewall so it always assigns it the same IP for ease of management and access. I'll report back if the problem persists.

Thank you!

LoboTiger
digidad
Just Passing Thru
SIP Device Name: Grandstream HT-502
ISP Name: Teksavvy
Computer OS: Windows 8.1
Router: Linksys E900

Device not registered

Post by digidad »

Using a Grandstream HT-502 on the FX1 port. Haven't changed any settings on the router or ATA in over a year. Today the device is failing to register. Rebooted everything from the modem to the router to the ATA (in that order). Internet connection is fine but the ATA won't register. Anyone else having problems registering today?
digidad
Just Passing Thru

Re: Device not registered

Post by digidad »

I tried my SIP username and password in CSipSimple and get 'Error while registering - Busy Here'
f_laplante
Just Passing Thru
SIP Device Name: ATA Grandstream Ht502
Firmware Version: Program -- 1.0.12.1
ISP Name: Tompson modem Cable
Computer OS: OsX
Router: Aiport extreme

Solved : Device not registered

Post by f_laplante »

SAME PROBLEM : FOUND SOLUTION HERE =

https://support.fongo.com/home
TUESDAY AUGUST 16, 2016 NOTICE: HOME PHONE users, if you are experiencing issues with your service, before submitting a support ticket, please unplug your phone adapter from power for 2 minutes, then plug it back in to restore service. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Je ferme le grandstream x > 2 minutes et ensuite effectivement il se branche automatiquement !
RÉGLÉ.
f_laplante
Just Passing Thru
SIP Device Name: ATA Grandstream Ht502
Firmware Version: Program -- 1.0.12.1
ISP Name: Tompson modem Cable
Computer OS: OsX
Router: Aiport extreme

Post by f_laplante »

OTHER PROBLEM - JUST START 2016-08-16 : FOUND SOLUTION HERE =

TUESDAY AUGUST 16, 2016 NOTICE: HOME PHONE users, if you are experiencing issues with your service, before submitting a support ticket, please unplug your phone adapter from power for 2 minutes, then plug it back in to restore service. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Je ferme le grandstream x > 2 minutes et ensuite effectivement il se branche automatiquement !
RÉGLÉ.
digidad
Just Passing Thru

Not Solved : Device not registered

Post by digidad »

f_laplante wrote:SAME PROBLEM : FOUND SOLUTION HERE =

RÉGLÉ.

This did nothing for me. Still having the same problem - going on 3 days now. FPL has been our primary phone line for more than 3 years, pretty much problem free. If this goes on much longer though, I'll need to switch to something else.
killerjay
Active Poster
SIP Device Name: grandstream 286
ISP Name: cogeco
Computer OS: windows vista
Router: dir-655

Post by killerjay »

same issue here... registration keeps falling
Fongo Support
Site Moderator

Post by Fongo Support »

killerjay wrote:same issue here... registration keeps falling
Hi,

Have you try to login into your HT286 and delete voip.freephoneline.ca and replace it with voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060?

Please let me know.

regards,
Alex.Chaplin
One Hit Wonder
SIP Device Name: Grand stream HT287
Firmware Version: Rev 4.1
ISP Name: Cogeco
Router: D-Link

Post by Alex.Chaplin »

Fongo Support wrote:
Hi,

Have you try to login into your HT286 and delete voip.freephoneline.ca and replace it with voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060?
I am too having this registration problem for the past three days (i'm with Cogeco, on grandstream ht287).

I just tried the alternative ip address and it worked; the registration had succeeded and the phone is working again.

Should I keep this address or was it intended as a kind of test?
lobotiger
Quiet One

Post by lobotiger »

After doing the recommended powering off as recommended above, I got it to reconnect a few days ago when my device was disconnected again. However, this morning I found that my line is once again disconnected with the last successful registration being at 12:46AM ET. Powering it off for two minutes again managed to get me reconnected but can support explain what is going on? I don't think we should have to continue to a) monitor if our line is down and b) have to power off our device to get it to reconnect.

LoboTiger
digidad
Just Passing Thru

Post by digidad »

Fongo Support wrote:
Hi,

Please let me know.

regards,

Tried voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060 but still no dice. I rebooted the device after the config change. I have also left it powered off for more than 2 minutes. At this point I would have almost suspected my hardware, if not for the several others who are reporting similar problems. I think it's time to order an ooma telo. Sad to go, but no hard feelings - the years of free phone service have saved us a bundle.
Fongo Support
Site Moderator

Post by Fongo Support »

digidad wrote:
Fongo Support wrote:
Hi,

Please let me know.

regards,

Tried voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060 but still no dice. I rebooted the device after the config change. I have also left it powered off for more than 2 minutes. At this point I would have almost suspected my hardware, if not for the several others who are reporting similar problems. I think it's time to order an ooma telo. Sad to go, but no hard feelings - the years of free phone service have saved us a bundle.
Hi,

All servers are operational.

I would suggest that before you signup for Oooma or any other monthly plans of $14.95 per month, you can at least factory reset your device and reconfigure it.

regards,
killerjay
Active Poster

Post by killerjay »

this is 100% a fongo server side issue, you cannot say servers are 100% operational when there is over 5 people reporting the same issue in the same timeframe! there is obviously something wrong that you guys have done this past week. whatever was done, please undo it. my phone was working great for over 3 years!
also voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060 does not work either, i just get a red blinking light.
killerjay
Active Poster

Post by killerjay »

now its worse, now even if i power it back up i dont get connected at all.