Registration keeps failing on voip.freephoneline.ca

Have a question or problem with your Fongo application? This forum is the place to get help from both staff and fellow community members.
Fongo recommends Fongo Home Phone for a fully supported Home Phone system for only $4.95/mo

Re: Registration keeps failing on voip.freephoneline.ca

Postby Fongo Support » 08/20/2016

killerjay wrote:this is 100% a fongo server side issue, you cannot say servers are 100% operational when there is over 5 people reporting the same issue in the same timeframe! there is obviously something wrong that you guys have done this past week. whatever was done, please undo it. my phone was working great for over 3 years!
also voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060 does not work either, i just get a red blinking light.

Hi,

We can setup your account on a test ata in the office so you can test by calling your number for a few hours.

Please send me PM with your account details and I will set this up.

remember- FPL has over 500k customers. If there was a server issue- everyone will be down.

regards,
Fongo Support
Site Moderator

Postby lobotiger » 08/20/2016

For those of you trying voip4, is it because you're on Rogers? Previously I was going back and forth between voip and voip2.

LoboTiger
lobotiger
Quiet One

Postby Liptonbrisk » 08/20/2016

1. Change your local SIP port.

Try a random number between 30000 and 60000, for example.

If that works, your NAT firewall tables were corrupted.

I've seen an issue recently where someone's NAT router connection never disconnected or never timed out properly. And, then, the ATA kept the corrupted connection in a persistent state over and over again. This problem is due to the router's UDP timeout being in excess of the ATA's Failure Retry timer.

With Obihai ATAs, the setting is called X_UserAgentPort instead of local SIP port.

Anyway, changing the local SIP port or X_UserAgentPort can resolve this issue, at least, temporarily.

2. Disable SIP ALG in whatever router you're using. If necessary, contact your ISP if your router was provided by them.
Please do not send me emails; I do not work for nor represent Freephoneline or Fongo. Post questions on the forums so that others may learn from responses or assist you. Thank you. If you have an issue with your account or have a billing issue, submit a ticket here: https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. Visit http://status.fongo.com/ to check FPL/Fongo service status. Freephoneline setup guides can be found at viewforum.php?f=15.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

SIP Device Name: Obihai 202/2182, Groundwire
Firmware Version: various
ISP Name: FTTH
Computer OS: Windows 64 bit
Router: Asuswrt-Merlin & others

Postby digidad » 08/21/2016

All servers are operational.

I would suggest that before you signup for Oooma or any other monthly plans of $14.95 per month, you can at least factory reset your device and reconfigure it.

regards,

remember- FPL has over 500k customers. If there was a server issue- everyone will be down.

I mentioned above that registration is also failing using a software SIP client using the same account and POP. Like the others, I have been using the same configuration successfully for more than 3 years and it just failed this week. I agree with the others that this is not an ATA config issue. Maybe it doesn't affect all 500k users, but even 5 long time users reporting the same new, persistent issue in the same week has to be more than coincidence and worthy of further investigation - Maybe an update on the server side that affects compatibility with certain device firmwares, specific ISPs, a particular POP or network segment. There has to be a common thread.
digidad
Just Passing Thru

SIP Device Name: Grandstream HT-502
ISP Name: Teksavvy
Computer OS: Windows 8.1
Router: Linksys E900

Postby killerjay » 08/21/2016

back up and running after doing a factory reset, lets see if it stays registered.
killerjay
Active Poster

SIP Device Name: grandstream 286
ISP Name: cogeco
Computer OS: windows vista
Router: dir-655

Postby Fongo Support » 08/21/2016

digidad wrote:
All servers are operational.

I would suggest that before you signup for Oooma or any other monthly plans of $14.95 per month, you can at least factory reset your device and reconfigure it.

regards,

I mentioned above that registration is also failing using a software SIP client using the same account and POP. Like the others, I have been using the same configuration successfully for more than 3 years and it just failed this week. I agree with the others that this is not an ATA config issue. Maybe it doesn't affect all 500k users, but even 5 long time users reporting the same new, persistent issue in the same week has to be more than coincidence and worthy of further investigation - Maybe an update on the server side that affects compatibility with certain device firmwares, specific ISPs, a particular POP or network segment. There has to be a common thread.

Hi,

Re->I mentioned above that registration is also failing using a software SIP client using the same account and POP

Is it failing with all 3 sip servers (voip, voip2 and voip4)?

re->Maybe an update on the server side that affects compatibility with certain device firmwares, specific ISPs, a particular POP or network segment. There has to be a common thread.

Server side is not the issue. Have you tried factory reset and reconfiguration?

I can setup a test case with your account it required- send me a PM and I will do this. I will setup your account on a test ATA so you can test it.

regards,
Fongo Support
Site Moderator

Postby Liptonbrisk » 08/21/2016

digidad wrote:I mentioned above that registration is also failing using a software SIP client using the same account and POP.

Did you test when you were not on wifi? If not, you should.

I am able to register with all three SIP servers perfectly fine.
However, someone I know also couldn't register with voip.freephoneline.ca
a few days ago after having been registered without issue for some time.
The ATA was configured properly.

Changing local SIP port, as I mentioned above, corrected the issue.
The problem was corrupted router NAT tables. Rebooting the ATA and the router
did not resolve the problem. The reason for the problem occurring is what I stated previously.

Maybe it doesn't affect all 500k users

Not even close
Please do not send me emails; I do not work for nor represent Freephoneline or Fongo. Post questions on the forums so that others may learn from responses or assist you. Thank you. If you have an issue with your account or have a billing issue, submit a ticket here: https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. Visit http://status.fongo.com/ to check FPL/Fongo service status. Freephoneline setup guides can be found at viewforum.php?f=15.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

Postby killerjay » 08/21/2016

well, we are over 10 hours in and my device is still registered. a factory restore fixed my issue.... very strange though how everyone here had the same issue at the same time...
killerjay
Active Poster

Postby Liptonbrisk » 08/21/2016

Liptonbrisk wrote:1. Change your local SIP port.

Try a random number between 30000 and 60000, for example.

If that works, your NAT firewall tables were corrupted.

I've seen an issue recently where someone's NAT router connection never disconnected or never timed out properly. And, then, the ATA kept the corrupted connection in a persistent state over and over again. This problem is due to the router's UDP timeout being in excess of the ATA's Failure Retry timer.

With Obihai ATAs, the setting is called X_UserAgentPort instead of local SIP port.

Anyway, changing the local SIP port or X_UserAgentPort can resolve this issue, at least, temporarily.

By the way, others have encountered this same issue:
http://forums.grandstream.com/forums/in ... ic=31296.0
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

Postby lobotiger » 08/22/2016

Happened again for me. Last registration was yesterday afternoon. Had to power off my PAP2T, wait 2 min and then power it back up before it would register successfully again. Any recommendations?

LoboTiger
lobotiger
Quiet One

Postby hanke » 08/22/2016

Have your tried reloading your firmware on the ATA. Perhaps it could be corrupt.
hanke
Lightly Seasoned

SIP Device Name: SPA3102
Firmware Version: 5.2.13(GW002)
ISP Name: Cogeco Cable
Router: DPC3848VM (Modem/Router)

Postby lobotiger » 08/22/2016

No not yet but I guess that's going to be my next step.

LoboTiger
lobotiger
Quiet One

Postby Spartaca » 08/22/2016

I also have been getting the not registered error for the last 8 days or so. I have a Grandstream HT 286. I've had it for many years but it stopped working. The SIP server was voip:freephoneline.ca.

I tried unplugging the ATA and I changed the SIP server to voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060. It still doesn't work.

Anyone have any luck in getting this fixed???

Do I need to put something in the "Authenticate Password". I'm not sure if I have one.
Spartaca
One Hit Wonder

SIP Device Name: Grandstream HT 286
ISP Name: Rogers
Computer OS: Windows 10

Postby lobotiger » 08/26/2016

Well I flashed my device (PAP2T) to the last known firmware 5.1.6 this afternoon. All was good and we had calls working. Just now (11:22PM EDT) I go to check the phone for a dial tone and it's not working. I check the PAP2T and it is not connected and the last registration was 7:07PM. Can Support provide anything else as to what is going on? Could there be a problem with my specific account or is this something on your end? Powering the device off for two minutes and then turning it back on will reconnect it.

LoboTiger
lobotiger
Quiet One

Postby Fongo Support » 08/27/2016

lobotiger wrote:Well I flashed my device (PAP2T) to the last known firmware 5.1.6 this afternoon. All was good and we had calls working. Just now (11:22PM EDT) I go to check the phone for a dial tone and it's not working. I check the PAP2T and it is not connected and the last registration was 7:07PM. Can Support provide anything else as to what is going on? Could there be a problem with my specific account or is this something on your end? Powering the device off for two minutes and then turning it back on will reconnect it.

LoboTiger

Hi,

Re->Can Support provide anything else as to what is going on?

There are no issues with your account at the back end. My suggestion is to disable static IP and switch to DHCP and also follow Mango's suggestion for DNS as described below:

http://toao.net/25-linksys-ata-configuration

Good luck!
Fongo Support
Site Moderator

Postby killerjay » 08/27/2016

well, it happened again, registration failed after a couple days.... i have no idea whats going on.... i havent changed any hardware in the last 3 years and it was working fine until this last week.
killerjay
Active Poster

Postby killerjay » 08/29/2016

i dont get it, it keeps going down everyday again. I have 2 atas, both are grandstream 286 that i bought directly from fpl... i had the service running flawless for 3 years, and now everyday i am getting a red flashing light, so i unplug it for 2 minutes, and plug back in and its ok again for a couple hours. I tried putting the ata on dmz as well and same thing happens. Is it possible that its my isp? Is anyone else who is having this issue with cogeco?
killerjay
Active Poster

Postby hanke » 08/29/2016

I am with Cogeco here in Burlington and don't have any problems. Perhaps it has to do with your router. Hope someone can give you some suggestions.
hanke
Lightly Seasoned

SIP Device Name: SPA3102
Firmware Version: 5.2.13(GW002)
ISP Name: Cogeco Cable
Router: DPC3848VM (Modem/Router)

Postby lobotiger » 08/30/2016

Fongo Support wrote:
lobotiger wrote:Well I flashed my device (PAP2T) to the last known firmware 5.1.6 this afternoon. All was good and we had calls working. Just now (11:22PM EDT) I go to check the phone for a dial tone and it's not working. I check the PAP2T and it is not connected and the last registration was 7:07PM. Can Support provide anything else as to what is going on? Could there be a problem with my specific account or is this something on your end? Powering the device off for two minutes and then turning it back on will reconnect it.

LoboTiger

Hi,

Re->Can Support provide anything else as to what is going on?

There are no issues with your account at the back end. My suggestion is to disable static IP and switch to DHCP and also follow Mango's suggestion for DNS as described below:

http://toao.net/25-linksys-ata-configuration

Good luck!

I had already changed my settings to DHCP as well as the DNS from earlier on in the thread and it didn't help anything. I flashed a new firmware on it as recommended and it also didn't make a difference. Based on the device, it looks like it failed registering at around 1:30am this morning which means it lasted about 1.5-2 days before having to be powered off and back on again.

This is the first time in years, really since the first year I joined, that the service is causing this much grief in the household and not working as expected. Considering that's there's been a few of us to have very similar problems I think this issue should be raised with the network engineering team to see if they have suggestions or if a recent change on the soft switches caused some kind of incompatibility with certain devices' firmwares. Did we ever get an explanation of why we were to power off for two minutes if we experienced registration issues a couple of weeks ago? The only thing that hasn't been tried at this point is a complete reset of the firmware and putting everything back in from scratch and replacing the device entirely. Replacing it seems odd because of the others having similar problems with their devices.

LoboTiger
lobotiger
Quiet One

Postby killerjay » 08/31/2016

this is 100% a fpl server issue! and im getting really annoyed that fpl is saying its us. How is it that we are all having the same issue in the same timeframe when having zero issues for months before. i as well have tried dmz, port forwarding as well as using my ata at my friends house. it keeps failing registration everyday! i am getting very frustrated as i keep having to reset my ata. I think it may be time to move on, seeing that fpl doesnt believe they have a network issue.
what are the steps to port out my number? im thinking of maybe switching internet and phone to start.ca
killerjay
Active Poster

Postby digidad » 08/31/2016

Fongo Support wrote:Hi,

Re->I mentioned above that registration is also failing using a software SIP client using the same account and POP

Is it failing with all 3 sip servers (voip, voip2 and voip4)?

re->Maybe an update on the server side that affects compatibility with certain device firmwares, specific ISPs, a particular POP or network segment. There has to be a common thread.

Server side is not the issue. Have you tried factory reset and reconfiguration?

I can setup a test case with your account it required- send me a PM and I will do this. I will setup your account on a test ATA so you can test it.

regards,

I tried updating the firmware on my ATA and changing the ports used, but to no avail.
We were away for a week - when we came back, same state.
Factory reset ATA and reconfigured using information here: http://www.voipfan.net/ATAs/HT502_freephoneline.php
ATA started working for outbound calls but device status showed 'Not Registered'.
After a few hours, The SIP Status on the FreePhoneLine website showed 'SIP Status:disconnected' and incoming calls were no longer coming through, although outbound still worked.
Found this article on the Grandstream forums from several years back: http://forums.grandstream.com/forums/in ... pic=8378.0
It suggested:
Register Expiration: 120 minutes
Reregister before Expiration: 60 seconds
SIP Registration Failure Retry Wait Time: 30 seconds
NAT Traversal: Keep-Alive

I have been running this way since last night. Device status shows 'Registered' and FreePhoneLine website shows 'SIP Status:connected'
Everything has been working for inbound and outbound for the last 18 hours or so.
Still can't say what caused the issue as the config has't changed about 3 years.
Seems awfully coincidental that other long time users started reporting the same issue the same week.
I'm a little nervous since others reported the problem coming back a few days later, but we'll wait and see...
digidad
Just Passing Thru

SIP Device Name: Grandstream HT-502
ISP Name: Teksavvy
Computer OS: Windows 8.1
Router: Linksys E900

Postby killerjay » 09/03/2016

registration is still failing everyday, does anyone know the process of porting out of fpl? i want to keep my phone number.
killerjay
Active Poster

Postby lobotiger » 09/04/2016

I don't know what's happened but it's been 5 days since I've had to reboot my PAP2T. Unit is showing as registered every time I've checked it. Going to see if it can make it to a week or more.

killerjay, if you want to port your number, I believe all you have to do it talk with the company that's going to be responsible for it and they take care of porting it for you. After that's done, you then would cancel your FPL account.

LoboTiger
lobotiger
Quiet One

Postby killerjay » 09/05/2016

i switched to voip4 yesterday and im still registered lets see what happens.
killerjay
Active Poster

Postby killerjay » 09/07/2016

well, voip4 seems to have solved my issue so far. something must be messed up with voip1. either way, 3 days now, still registered.
killerjay
Active Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Community Support