OBI200, which proxy server?

Have a question or problem with your Fongo application? This forum is the place to get help from both staff and fellow community members.
Fongo recommends Fongo Home Phone for a fully supported Home Phone system for only $4.95/mo
streetcore
Quiet One
SIP Device Name: OBihai OBi200
Firmware Version: 3.1.1 (Build: 5463EX
ISP Name: Cogeco (Cable)
Computer OS: Mac OSX 10.11.6, Windows 8
Router: D-Link DIR-615

Re: OBI200, which proxy server?

Post by streetcore »

Liptonbrisk wrote: I'm a little confused because in your profile it says you're using DSL, but above you mention you have a Thomson DHG536, which is a cable modem. If you are using cable internet, then forget what I said about PPoE.
You're right. It is a cable modem. I moved back into my family home awhile ago after my dad passed away and all this equipment was his, so I'm still not that familiar with it. The coax cable in the back of the modem should have been my first clue, but there's also a phone cord going into it, so I was bit confused. Not to mention distracted by all the other problems I'm having.

Thanks again for all your assistance. You've been incredibly helpful.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support
SIP Device Name: Obihai 202/2182, Groundwire
Firmware Version: various
ISP Name: FTTH
Computer OS: Windows 64 bit
Router: Asuswrt-Merlin & others

Post by Liptonbrisk »

streetcore wrote: You're right. It is a cable modem. I moved back into my family home awhile ago after my dad passed away and all this equipment was his, so I'm still not that familiar with it.
I'm very sorry to read about your dad's passing. You have my sincerest condolences (to you and to your family).
The coax cable in the back of the modem should have been my first clue, but there's also a phone cord going into it
It's a cable modem with a built-in ATA.

You've been incredibly helpful.
You're very welcome.

By the way, (not that I'm a fan of Rogers) Rogers can monitor its customers' cable internet connections for problems when asked and intermittently run tests on modems. I'm not sure why the Cogeco rep didn't offer to do that for you.

Also, let's think about this situation for a moment. You didn't get internet access even when directly connected via Ethernet cable to the modem. No router was used. So, why would that be a router issue? There are some caveats (some modems only allow one IP lease and bind to either the router's or computer's network adapter's MAC address and won't work with a new device until the modem is hard reset), but generally speaking, if you can't get internet access when the router isn't attached to the modem, then the problem isn't the router. You should also be able to tell whether your modem has obtained internet access based on the lights on the modem. If you don't know how to determine whether you have internet access based on modem light patterns, call Cogeco and ask. If I were there, I could figure out the source of the problem quickly, but unfortunately I can't be there.

Anyway, I wish you luck. I'm not sure there's anything else I can really do for you.
Please do not send me emails; I do not work for nor represent Freephoneline or Fongo. Post questions on the forums so that others may learn from responses or assist you. Thank you. If you have an issue with your account or have a billing issue, submit a ticket here: https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. Visit http://status.fongo.com/ to check FPL/Fongo service status. Freephoneline setup guides can be found at http://forum.fongo.com/viewforum.php?f=15.
streetcore
Quiet One

Post by streetcore »

Liptonbrisk wrote:Anyway, I wish you luck. I'm not sure there's anything else I can really do for you.
I understand and please don't feel obligated to respond, but I thought I'd provide a quick update. I hooked everything back up last night and everything was working ok for awhle, but after a couple hours I couldn't connect to the internet again via Wi-Fi. I connected to the router via an ethernet cable and was able to browse to a few websites, but I wasn't able to access the router's admin via the IP address. The admin page wouldn't load and after a few minutes I wasn't able to reload any webpages either.

It was too late last night to go any further, but I left everything plugged in and didn't reboot anything. This morning the Wi-Fi was still down and I still couldn't access the web or the router's admin via the ethernet cable. Then I plugged directly into the modem and was able to get back online with full access to the web. Strange, because that's not what happened yesterday when I called the ISP. :?

I continued to use the direct connection to the modem most of the morning and everything was fine, when I remember I had an older Apple Airport Extreme (2nd gen) in a box from my move. I had some issues getting it connected to the cable modem, but found a solution on the apple forums and I'm now up and running again with Wi-Fi. The OBI is connected and it seemed to work ok on a couple quick test calls.

I still think I will order the ASUS RT-N66U from newegg, but hopefully the Airport Extreme will keep working for awhile until I can decide what to do.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support
SIP Device Name: Obihai 202/2182, Groundwire
Firmware Version: various
ISP Name: FTTH
Computer OS: Windows 64 bit
Router: Asuswrt-Merlin & others

Post by Liptonbrisk »

streetcore wrote: I connected to the router via an ethernet cable and was able to browse to a few websites, but I wasn't able to access the router's admin via the IP address. The admin page wouldn't load and after a few minutes I wasn't able to reload any webpages either.
Your most recent post suggests the DIR-615 is at fault. If you want to you could try re-flashing firmware and then performing a hardware reset on that router. However, you would then need to reconfigure it.

I continued to use the direct connection most of the morning and everything was fine, when I remember I had an older Airport Extreme (2nd gen) in a box from my move. I had some issues getting it connected to the cable modem, but found a solution on the apple forums and I'm now up and running again with Wi-Fi. The OBI is connected and working as well.
Hopefully, things remain working well for you.
I still think I will order the ASUS RT-N66U from newegg, but hopefully the Airport Extreme will keep working for awhile until I can decide what to do.
There's no need for you to buy anything, provided you're happy.

I would continue using whatever works for you and, instead, save up for an AC router (not N) that supports Asuswrt-Merlin, since you seem to rely of Wi-Fi. At some point, you may find yourself wanting to subscribe to Gigabit speeds from an ISP. With an AC router, you would also need an AC wireless adapter (wireless NIC) to take advantage of AC Wi-Fi speeds. So, it wouldn't just be the router that needs to be replaced if you subscribe to a higher speed internet service. With a wired Ethernet connection upgrading to a AC router isn't necessary. If you think you'll never subscribe to an internet service that offers download speeds higher than 300 Mbps, then the RT-N66U will be sufficient (highest theoretical speeds would be 450 Mbps, but probably most people don't see higher than 300 Mbps via Wi-Fi on 5Ghz, depending on distance from the router and the wireless network adapter used).

In the meantime, don't spend money if there's no need.
Please do not send me emails; I do not work for nor represent Freephoneline or Fongo. Post questions on the forums so that others may learn from responses or assist you. Thank you. If you have an issue with your account or have a billing issue, submit a ticket here: https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. Visit http://status.fongo.com/ to check FPL/Fongo service status. Freephoneline setup guides can be found at http://forum.fongo.com/viewforum.php?f=15.
streetcore
Quiet One

Post by streetcore »

Liptonbrisk wrote: I would continue using whatever works for you and, instead, save up for an AC router (not N) that supports Asuswrt-Merlin, since you seem to rely of Wi-Fi...
Great advice as usual. Thanks again for all your assistance.
bridonca
Technical Support
SIP Device Name: Netgear WGR615V
Firmware Version: latest
ISP Name: Eastlink
Computer OS: XP

Post by bridonca »

I have to add, the D-Link DIR-615 is a horrid router, especially with VOIP. If you can flash the router with DD-WRT, at least you will have stable, predictable firmware! OR just get another router, because it must be close to being at it's last cog by now.