Any way to block private caller with Linksys PAP2T

Have a question or problem with your Fongo application? This forum is the place to get help from both staff and fellow community members.
Fongo recommends Fongo Home Phone for a fully supported Home Phone system for only $4.95/mo

Any way to block private caller with Linksys PAP2T

Postby lobotiger » 07/14/2017

Hi everyone, I'm curious if a) FPL offers a service for blocking certain numbers like some of the competition or b) there is a way to block private callers on the PAP2T? Do any of the adapters have this ability or is this a feature that's controlled by the SIP provider?

Thanks.
lobotiger
Quiet One

Re: Any way to block private caller with Linksys PAP2T

Postby Liptonbrisk » 07/14/2017

lobotiger wrote:FPL offers a service for blocking certain numbers like some of the competition

No. FPL makes money off of incoming termination fees to its network. The more incoming calls from outside Fibernetics' network that are answered, the more money FPL makes.

there is a way to block private callers on the PAP2T?

Yes, but

1) the incoming call will drop straight to FPL's voicemail due to reason I listed above (FPL's voicemail picking up the call is the same as answering it),

and 2) doctors and hospitals may call using "private" numbers, so it's not necessarily a good idea to block them.

The feature is called "Block ANC setting" (set this to "yes") in the ATA.
It's found under (advanced view) User-->Supplementary Service settings.
Basically, that means you're blocking incoming anonymous calls.

If you want to selectively block specific numbers, visit viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2337&p=13266.
Again, this method will send blocked calls to FPL's voicemail system. Note that you must enter phone numbers as they appear in your VoIP service's call log. For Freephoneline users,
login at https://www.freephoneline.ca/callLogs.

Do any of the adapters have this ability

Most do. Obihai ATAs go a step further and allow users to route incoming calls to other destinations.
For more information refer to pages 23 and 24 of the PDF guide located at viewtopic.php?f=15&t=18805#p74624.
Please do not send me emails; I do not work for nor represent Freephoneline or Fongo. Post questions on the forums so that others may learn from responses or assist you. Thank you. If you have an issue with your account or have a billing issue, submit a ticket here: https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. Visit http://status.fongo.com/ to check FPL/Fongo service status. Freephoneline setup guides can be found at viewforum.php?f=15.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

SIP Device Name: Obihai 202/2182, Groundwire
Firmware Version: various
ISP Name: FTTH
Computer OS: Windows 64 bit
Router: Asuswrt-Merlin & others

Re: Any way to block private caller with Linksys PAP2T

Postby lobotiger » 07/14/2017

Thanks that setting did the trick. We're ok with unknown calls going straight to VM since we rarely get legit ones. The house line is used very rarely but lately some of my son's friends have started prank calling the house line with "private caller" so it gets annoying after a while. :)

Cheers!
lobotiger
Quiet One

Return to Community Support