Registration Failing...anyone else?

Have a question or problem with your Fongo application? This forum is the place to get help from both staff and fellow community members.
Fongo recommends Fongo Home Phone for a fully supported Home Phone system for only $4.95/mo

Registration Failing...anyone else?

Postby Ketan1988 » 08/31/2017

Hi Guys,

after years of flawless connection, today my line is down and registration is failing... anyone else facing the same issue?

Cheers!
Ketan1988
Just Passing Thru

SIP Device Name: PAP2T
Router: WRT54G DIR-655

Re: Registration Failing...anyone else?

Postby Liptonbrisk » 08/31/2017

No. FPL is up and running.

Follow the steps in the order listed below, carefully:

A. Visit http://status.fongo.com/ to check server status.

B. Double check your Registration timers. https://support.freephoneline.ca/hc/en- ... redentials

a) Registration Interval: 3600 seconds (1 hour)

b) Registration Expiry: 3600 seconds (1 hour)

c) Failed Registration Re-Try Interval: 120 seconds

In your PAP2T, navigate to LINE 1-->Proxy and Registration -->Register Expires should be 3600.
In your PAP2T, navigate to SIP-->SIP Timer Values-->Reg Retry Intvl: should be 120.
If your ATA or IP Phone makes more than 5 registration attempts in 5 minutes, you will end up being temporarily IP banned by the specific FPL server the ATA or IP phone was sending registration requests to. If you're temporarily IP banned, you could then try switching proxy to a different FPL server than the one you were previously using (voip.freephoneline.ca, voip2.freephoneline.ca, or voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060), unless you need to use voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060 because you have SIP ALG forced on in your router or modem/router combo. The purpose of voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060 is to circumvent SIP ALG features in routers.

C. If the service status website doesn’t note any issues, then chances are the problem is on your end. In your PAP2T, Navigate to Line 1 (or whatever you're using for FPL)-->SIP settings. Change SIP Port to a random port number between 30000 and 65535. Just pick a port number in that range. Click the “save settings” button, and reboot the ATA.

If changing SIP Port works, you were dealing with a corrupted NAT connection in your router.

Possibly a NAT router connection was never disconnected or never timed out properly. And, then, the ATA keeps the corrupted connection in a persistent state over and over again. (Credit goes to Mango for this information). Possibly, this problem is due to the router's UDP timeout being in excess of the ATA's Failure Retry timer (RegisterRetryInterval with Obihai ATAs). With FPL, that's 120 seconds.

Thanks to Mango, many of us now understand that in order for ATAs to remain registered and working properly with a VoIP SIP provider like Freephoneline, in particular after power failures, the following conditions must be met:

UDP Unreplied Timeout (in your router) < NAT Keep-alive Interval (in your ATA; for Obihai ATAs this is X_KeepAliveExpires) < UDP Assured Timeout (in your router) < SIP Registration Failure Retry Wait Time (or RegisterRetryInterval in Obihai ATAs)

“<“ means less than.

When a modem leases a new IP address, a problem can arise where prior associations using the old IP address are maintained in the router. When the ATA attempts to communicate using the old IP address, the response is unreplied, and then if the UDP Unreplied timeout is greater than the Keep Alive Interval (and UDP Unreplied timeout is often set to 30 by default in consumer routers) a problem arises where the corrupted connection persists. If UDP Unreplied timeout is, for example, 10, and the NAT Keep Alive Interval is 20, then the corrupted connection will timeout or close. A new connection will be created, and everything will work fine.

Another problem can occur when the Keep-Alive interval is greater than UDP Assured Timeout (often 180 by default in consumer routers): the NAT hole will close due to the ATA not communicating frequently enough with the SIP server. In turn, incoming calls may, intermittently, not reach the ATA. Again, NAT Keep-alive Interval is supposed to be 20 with FPL.

Getting access to both UDP Unreplied Timeout and UDP Assured Timeout settings in consumer routers may be difficult, if not impossible. Asuswrt-Merlin, third party firmware for Asus routers, does offer easy access to these two settings, which are found under Tools-->Other settings. In part, for this reason, I tend to use Asus routers that work with Asuswrt-Merlin. However, my understanding is that third party Tomato firmware has these two settings as well. So if your router supports Tomato firmware, that may be another option.

The keep alive interval for FPL is 20. The SIP Registration Failure Retry Wait Time is 120. I use 10 for UDP Unreplied Timeout and 117 for UDP Assured Timeout.

D. You can also try rebooting your modem–>router (wait for it to be fully up and transmitting data)–>ATA (in that order).
Please do not send me emails; I do not work for nor represent Freephoneline or Fongo. Post questions on the forums so that others may learn from responses or assist you. Thank you. If you have an issue with your account or have a billing issue, submit a ticket here: https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. Visit http://status.fongo.com/ to check FPL/Fongo service status. Freephoneline setup guides can be found at viewforum.php?f=15.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

SIP Device Name: Obihai 202/2182, Groundwire
Firmware Version: various
ISP Name: FTTH
Computer OS: Windows 64 bit
Router: Asuswrt-Merlin & others

Postby cleacy1972 » 08/31/2017

I'm the same, have never had a previous problem. Using obihai equipment, and currently sp status is showing:

Register Failed: No Response From Server (server=208.65.240.44:5060; retrying)

Going through the steps in the previous post, I switched the server from voip to voip2.

It's working properly again.

Thanks!

(edit)

Is there perhaps a possibility that my having 2 freephoneline sip accounts that were both using voip.freephoneline.ca previously from the same ip address might have been blocked at the server? Right now I have them both connecting properly through voip2, perhaps I should change them to use different ones? My timeout configuration matches the settings (120sec).
cleacy1972
Just Passing Thru

SIP Device Name: obi202
ISP Name: FPL
Computer OS: Windows 7
Router: dlink dir-862l

cleacy1972 wrote:I'm the same, have never had a previous problem. Using obihai equipment, and currently sp status is showing:

Register Failed: No Response From Server (server=208.65.240.44:5060; retrying)

You were likely temporarily IP banned by voip.freephoneline.ca. More than 5 registration attempts within 5 minutes can result in a temporary IP ban from the FPL server being used.

From https://community.freepbx.org/t/trunk-s ... ca/22479/8
"As May 2013, our servers will rate limit REGISTER requests to a maximum of 10 requests per 5 minutes. Each authentication round usually consumes 2 requests (digest auth), so it is a fair number given our guidelines. Also, it does not affect INVITES (which are also authenticated)...

This rate limit is applied per IP address as our service is tailored to residential Canadian users (ADSL/Cable)."

Going through the steps in the previous post, I switched the server from voip to voip2.

Is there perhaps a possibility that my having 2 freephoneline sip accounts that were both using voip.freephoneline.ca previously from the same ip address might have been blocked at the server? Right now I have them both connecting properly through voip2, perhaps I should change them to use different ones? My timeout configuration matches the settings (120sec).

They key point to remember is that more than 5 registration attempts within 5 minutes can result in a temporary IP ban from the FPL server being used. Consequently, if you have multiple FPL accounts all attempting to register with the same server, those 5 registration attempts can be used up quickly if the ATA keeps rebooting (or being turned off and on due to power outages) due to settings being changed in the ATA. It would be better to register each FPL account with a different ProxyServer. That is, have one account using voip.freephoneline.ca and the other using voip2.freephoneline.ca. Or you can also use voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060. Just don't have both accounts registering with the same server as you have done in the past.

I don't know how long the temporary IP ban lasts, but, in your case, I would not try using voip.freephoneline.ca again at least for a couple of hours.

Also, for reference, I recommend double checking all of your settings against this PDF guide: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=18805&start=25#p74836.
Please do not send me emails; I do not work for nor represent Freephoneline or Fongo. Post questions on the forums so that others may learn from responses or assist you. Thank you. If you have an issue with your account or have a billing issue, submit a ticket here: https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. Visit http://status.fongo.com/ to check FPL/Fongo service status. Freephoneline setup guides can be found at viewforum.php?f=15.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

Postby Fongo Support » 08/31/2017

Hi,

Re->Going through the steps in the previous post, I switched the server from voip to voip2.

In my opinion you should just unplug ATA device from power for 10 minutes and power back on after 10 minutes.
Please try this next time.
Fongo Support
Site Moderator

Fongo Support wrote:In my opinion you should just unplug ATA device from power for 10 minutes and power back on after 10 minutes.

That's interesting. FWIW, that never worked for me when I was temp IP banned from a FPL proxy server years ago because the temp ban duration had been longer than 10 minutes. Has something changed since then?
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

Postby Fongo Support » 08/31/2017

Liptonbrisk wrote:
Fongo Support wrote:In my opinion you should just unplug ATA device from power for 10 minutes and power back on after 10 minutes.

That's interesting. FWIW, that never worked for me when I was temp IP banned from a FPL proxy server years ago because the temp ban duration had been longer than 10 minutes. Has something changed since then?

Hi,

I never got banned so I don't know but you are welcome to experiment:)

Cheers.
Fongo Support
Site Moderator

Return to Community Support