FPL not working

Have a question or problem with your Fongo application? This forum is the place to get help from both staff and fellow community members.
Fongo recommends Fongo Home Phone for a fully supported Home Phone system for only $4.95/mo
compactdisc
Just Passing Thru
SIP Device Name: SPA-2102
ISP Name: Rogers cable
Router: cgn3acsmr

FPL not working

Post by compactdisc »

Hi, so I've ran into a random issue. I'm using SPA-2102 with FPL and Rogers CGN3ACSMR (SIP ALG disabled) for a while now and everything was fine. Last night, had a 1 sec power outage and now I don't have dial tone. Can't make or receive calls. There have been no changes to any settings. My FPL account says connected, spa-2102 has IP address. Can anyone help?

Edit- I downloaded the desktop app, can make outgoing calls but not receive calls

Edit 2 - Desktop app Test connection result says timeout expired - unable to send/receive sound data. Port 13000 should be available

Edit 3 - Now my FPL account settings say "SIP User Agent: Fongo/Desktop 3.2.7.0" and my SPA-2102 is not getting the "Phone 1" light that used to turn on, and Line 1 Registration says failed/not registered
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support
SIP Device Name: Obihai 202/2182, Groundwire
Firmware Version: various
ISP Name: FTTH
Computer OS: Windows 64 bit
Router: Asuswrt-Merlin & others

Re: FPL not working

Post by Liptonbrisk »

compactdisc wrote:Hi, so I've ran into a random issue. I'm using SPA-2102 with FPL and Rogers CGN3ACSMR (SIP ALG disabled)
Interesting. How did you manage to disable SIP ALG in the CGN3ACSMR?
http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/fo ... 089/page/1

When I had one, there was no way to do so without the convoluted mess described in the link above. And when new firmware was pushed to it, SIP ALG was re-enabled.
As a result, there was no permanent way to disable SIP ALG without using your own router, which is highly recommended for SIP services regardless, and, in turn, using the Hitron modem/router combo in bridge mode.

So, unless something’s changed, there’s no way for customers to disable SIP ALG by themselves in that modem/router combo unless it’s running in bridge mode. The setting is hidden.

If you're not sure that SIP ALG is disabled in the CGN3ACSMR, you should be using voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060.
for a while now and everything was fine. Last night, had a 1 sec power outage and now I don't have dial tone.
Proper device reboot order is always modem-->router (wait for Wi-Fi SSIDs to propagate)-->ATA.

"Thanks to Mango, many of us now understand that in order for ATAs to remain registered and working properly with a VoIP SIP provider like Freephoneline, in particular after power failures, the following conditions must be met:

UDP Unreplied Timeout (in your router) < NAT Keep-alive Interval (in your ATA) < UDP Assured Timeout (in your router) < SIP Registration Failure Retry Wait Time

“<“ means less than.

When a modem leases a new IP address, a problem can arise where prior associations using the old IP address are maintained in the router. When the ATA attempts to communicate using the old IP address, the response is unreplied, and then if the UDP Unreplied timeout is greater than the Keep Alive Interval (and UDP Unreplied timeout is often set to 30 by default in consumer routers) a problem arises where the corrupted connection persists. If UDP Unreplied timeout is, for example, 10, and the NAT Keep Alive Interval is 20, then the corrupted connection will timeout or close. A new connection will be created, and everything will work fine.

Another problem can occur when the Keep-Alive interval is greater than UDP Assured Timeout (often 180 by default in consumer routers): the NAT hole will close due to the ATA not communicating frequently enough with the SIP server. In turn, incoming calls may, intermittently, not reach the ATA. Again, NAT Keep-alive Interval expires is supposed to be 20 with FPL.

Getting access to both UDP Unreplied Timeout and UDP Assured Timeout settings in consumer routers may be difficult, if not impossible. Asuswrt-Merlin, third party firmware for Asus routers, does offer easy access to these two settings, which are found under General–>Tools-->Other settings. In part, for this reason, I tend to use Asus routers. However, my understanding is that third party Tomato firmware has these two settings as well. So if your router supports Tomato firmware, that may be another option. Note that I will not be held accountable any damage resulting from failed firmware updates.

The keep alive interval for FPL is 20. The SIP Registration Failure Retry Wait Time is 120. I use 10 for UDP Unreplied Timeout and 117 for UDP Assured Timeout."

Third party firmware isn't an option for you if you don't have your own router, obviously.
There have been no changes to any settings.
That actually doesn't matter. The issue is on your end.
http://status.fongo.com/
My FPL account says connected
Where? Always check registration status in the ATA and not from your online FPL web portal. Registration status in FPL's web portal lags behind what's actually going on.
spa-2102 has IP address. Can anyone help?
Click http://forums.redflagdeals.com/freephon ... #p26808549, and follow the steps. Despite a different ATA model being mentioned, the settings are similar.
Follow the steps, especially ii through 12 (towards the bottom of the post).
I downloaded the desktop app, can make outgoing calls but not receive calls
Note that FPL only allows one registration per account at any given time. The most recently registered device will ring for incoming calls. The previously registered device will not.

Registration is required for incoming calls--but not for outgoing. For outgoing calls only the correct SIP username and password are required.

But what you're describing with the desktop app sounds like a typical SIP ALG issue.
Desktop app Test connection result says timeout expired - unable to send/receive sound data. Port 13000 should be available
That test is useless. It always fails, even when everything works.
Now my FPL account settings say "SIP User Agent: Fongo/Desktop 3.2.7.0" and my SPA-2102 is not getting the "Phone 1" light that used to turn on, and Line 1 Registration says failed/not registered
The desktop app is registered while your ATA isn't. Only one device registration per account is allowed.
Also, if your ATA makes more than 5 registration attempts in 5 minutes, you may end up being temporarily IP banned by the specific FPL server the ATA was sending registration requests to.
Consequently, the following timers are important:

https://support.freephoneline.ca/hc/en- ... redentials
Registration Interval: 3600 seconds (1 hour)

Registration Expiry: 3600 seconds (1 hour)

Failed Registration Re-Try Interval: 120 seconds
Please do not send me emails; I do not work for nor represent Freephoneline or Fongo. Post questions on the forums so that others may learn from responses or assist you. Thank you. If you have an issue with your account or have a billing issue, submit a ticket here: https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. Visit http://status.fongo.com/ to check FPL/Fongo service status. Freephoneline setup guides can be found at http://forum.fongo.com/viewforum.php?f=15.
compactdisc
Just Passing Thru
SIP Device Name: SPA-2102
ISP Name: Rogers cable
Router: cgn3acsmr

Post by compactdisc »

Liptonbrisk wrote:
compactdisc wrote:Hi, so I've ran into a random issue. I'm using SPA-2102 with FPL and Rogers CGN3ACSMR (SIP ALG disabled)
Interesting. How did you manage to disable SIP ALG in the CGN3ACSMR?
http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/fo ... 089/page/1

When I had one, there was no way to do so without the convoluted mess described in the link above. And when new firmware was pushed to it, SIP ALG was re-enabled.
As a result, there was no permanent way to disable SIP ALG without using your own router, which is highly recommended for SIP services regardless, and, in turn, using the Hitron modem/router combo in bridge mode.

So, unless something’s changed, there’s no way for customers to disable SIP ALG by themselves in that modem/router combo unless it’s running in bridge mode. The setting is hidden.

If you're not sure that SIP ALG is disabled in the CGN3ACSMR, you should be using voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060.
That rogers thread is from 2015, newer firmwares have allowed disabling SIP ALG from the webUI since at least March 2017, FW 4.5.8.28. Currently running 4.5.8.33. Have always been on voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060 since day 1.
for a while now and everything was fine. Last night, had a 1 sec power outage and now I don't have dial tone.
Proper device reboot order is always modem-->router (wait for Wi-Fi SSIDs to propagate)-->ATA.
Modem and SPA-2102 were disconnected for 30 minutes. Modem plugged in with uptime of 20 min before ATA was plugged in.
There have been no changes to any settings.
That actually doesn't matter. The issue is on your end.
http://status.fongo.com/
Agreed, never claimed it was issue with provider. First thing I checked while troubleshooting.
My FPL account says connected
Where? Always check registration status in the ATA and not from your online FPL web portal. Registration status in FPL's web portal lags behind what's actually going on.
Registration status on ATA was always registered, until i switched to desktop app. after switching back to ATA, the registration status was OK in both ATA and FPL portal.

Now my FPL account settings say "SIP User Agent: Fongo/Desktop 3.2.7.0" and my SPA-2102 is not getting the "Phone 1" light that used to turn on, and Line 1 Registration says failed/not registered
The desktop app is registered while your ATA isn't. Only one device registration per account is allowed.
Also, if your ATA makes more than 5 registration attempts in 5 minutes, you may end up being temporarily IP banned by the specific FPL server the ATA was sending registration requests to.
After reverting back to ATA from desktop app, registration on portal and ATA were both back to normal. Uninstalled desktop app.
Consequently, the following timers are important:

https://support.freephoneline.ca/hc/en- ... redentials
Registration Interval: 3600 seconds (1 hour)

Registration Expiry: 3600 seconds (1 hour)

Failed Registration Re-Try Interval: 120 seconds
This is how it has always been.

I'm just detailing the process in case anyone else runs into similar issue.

I FIXED MY ISSUE BY CHANGING THE PHONE CORD :oops:
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support
SIP Device Name: Obihai 202/2182, Groundwire
Firmware Version: various
ISP Name: FTTH
Computer OS: Windows 64 bit
Router: Asuswrt-Merlin & others

Post by Liptonbrisk »

compactdisc wrote:

That rogers thread is from 2015, newer firmwares have allowed disabling SIP ALG from the webUI since at least March 2017, FW 4.5.8.28.
Okay, so something did change; I wasn't aware that occurred in March. That's good to know. Thanks. I remember being frustrated trying to get Rogers to disable SIP ALG for a friend with that modem/router combo, and the lack of configurable UDP timeouts also makes it undesirable for SIP.
Have always been on voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060 since day 1.
voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060 is used to circumvent faulty SIP ALG features in routers. SIP ALG listens on UDP port 5060. If your SIP ALG is disabled, you can choose to use voip.freephoneline.ca or voip2.freephoneline.ca instead, if your pings and jitter to those servers are better.
Modem and SPA-2102 were disconnected for 30 minutes. Modem plugged in with uptime of 20 min before ATA was plugged in.
Okay, that's good. Proper order is always what I listed earlier (doesn't have to be 20 minutes).

Registration status on ATA was always registered, until i switched to desktop app. after switching back to ATA, the registration status was OK in both ATA and FPL portal.
The portal isn't useful for checking registration status since it can lag behind what's actually occurring. It should not be used for checking registration status. At the moment, my FPL portal shows "Fongo/Desktop 3.2.7.0". I exited the app 5 minutes ago.
My ATA is currently registered. The desktop app isn't. Moreover, devices can lose registration and yet still show as being registered in FPL's portal for up to an hour or until the registration period expires.

And again, only one registration per account is allowed at any time. Consequently, it's impossible for both the FPL desktop app and ATA to be simultaneously registered.

I FIXED MY ISSUE BY CHANGING THE PHONE CORD
I'm glad you found your problem. When the link mentions "Make sure your ringer is enabled on your phone", I figure that's a hint for people to check their phones.
Please do not send me emails; I do not work for nor represent Freephoneline or Fongo. Post questions on the forums so that others may learn from responses or assist you. Thank you. If you have an issue with your account or have a billing issue, submit a ticket here: https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. Visit http://status.fongo.com/ to check FPL/Fongo service status. Freephoneline setup guides can be found at http://forum.fongo.com/viewforum.php?f=15.