FreephoneLine Voicemail issues

Have a question or problem with your Fongo application? This forum is the place to get help from both staff and fellow community members.
Fongo recommends Fongo Home Phone for a fully supported Home Phone system for only $4.95/mo

FreephoneLine Voicemail issues

Postby sncbhle18 » 12/23/2017

Hey folks,

I've been using the FreePhoneLine service (with the buy-your-own-ATA and get a VOIP unlock key route) for a year now. I've also ported my telephone number from my childhood days into that service as well. I use the Cisco SPA122 VOIP ATA with the following details:

Model: SPA122, LAN, 2 FXS
Hardware Version: 1.1.0
Boot Version: 1.3.1 (Dec 11 2013 - 17:43:53)
Firmware Version: 1.4.1SR1 (002) Aug 2 2017
Recovery Firmware: 1.3.0 (001)

Lately, I've began to suffer some issues when listening to voicemail messages that callers left on my FPL voicemail mailbox. Sometimes, whenever I listen to a caller's voicemail message, the message suddenly cut short. The caller was not aware about that issue, but I began to witness this myself when I hear the caller's voicemail message that was left.

I then began a series of tests of calling my FPL number from another phone and recorded my message in full. I then play back my voicemail message of the same message that I had left - and the test messages that I had left - were able to play in full without a hitch.

My Cisco VOIP ATA was hooked up to a Linksys Dual-Band RE6500 WiFi range extender (software version 1.0.05). That Wi-Fi extender bridge is linked to my Rogers Hitron CODA-4582 internet modem downstairs in the living room.

To summarize, this is how my network was set up:

Cisco SPA122 VOIP ATA --> Linksys RE6500 Wi-Fi Extender --> Rogers Hitron CODA-4582 modem

I was wondering if my network setup could play a role on hearing the voicemail messages left by other callers - that were cut short unexpectedly? Or is it something that happen at FPL/Fongo's end? Please advise on a solution.
sncbhle18
Active Poster

SIP Device Name: Cisco SPA122
Firmware Version: 1.4.1
ISP Name: Rogers Cable
Computer OS: Windows 10

Re: FreephoneLine Voicemail issues

Postby Jake » 12/23/2017

I can't see that your setup would have anything to do with a message not recording properly. The message would be saved on the server so your equipment could effectively be completely disconnected.

Have you tried listening to the messages online through your admin? This would tell you if the message was in fact recorded in full and for some reason when you played it back through your phone it didn't play completely.
The other thing you can do while you are trying to sort this sorted out is get the messages 'copied' to your email address. This should send a copy of the recording to your email when it is left so you can compare it to what you hear when you check it through your phone. This email setting can be changed in your online admin. Don't set it to forward otherwise it wont leave the message for you to hear in your voicemail inbox.

https://support.freephoneline.ca/hc/en- ... o-my-email
Last edited by Fongo Support on 12/23/2017, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added link to VM FAQ
Jake
Technical Support

Postby sncbhle18 » 12/23/2017

Jake wrote:Have you tried listening to the messages online through your admin? This would tell you if the message was in fact recorded in full and for some reason when you played it back through your phone it didn't play completely.

From my own observations, I was able to play the message in full when dialing *98 from my own house phone hooked up to the FreePhoneLine device, but as for the online admin function - I can only hear half of that message that.
sncbhle18
Active Poster

Postby Liptonbrisk » 12/24/2017

sncbhle18 wrote:
From my own observations, I was able to play the message in full when dialing *98 from my own house phone hooked up to the FreePhoneLine device

Then the entire message was recorded.

but as for the online admin function - I can only hear half of that message that.

As mentioned by Jake, FPL's voicemail system is completely separate from your equipment and run by FPL. Consequently, voicemail recordings can not be affected by your equipment. But playing audio from FPL's servers to you can be.

When you refer to "online admin", you're talking about logging in and playing audio from https://www.freephoneline.ca/mailbox, right? Or what, specifically, are you doing?

That has nothing to do with your ATA. That involves troubleshooting whatever device you're using to play the .au file, media player app, or partially downloaded audio file.

Lately, I've began to suffer some issues when listening to voicemail messages that callers left on my FPL voicemail mailbox.

What are you using to listen to them when this problem occurs? Are you using your PC? Are you downloading .au files and then playing them?

Sometimes, whenever I listen to a caller's voicemail message, the message suddenly cut short. The caller was not aware about that issue

Why would the caller be aware of a problem if the entire message is actually present--but you just can't hear it fully?

Cisco SPA122 VOIP ATA --> Linksys RE6500 Wi-Fi Extender --> Rogers Hitron CODA-4582 modem

Typically device diagrams follow a left to right pattern

wall with coaxial cable --> Rogers Hitron CODA-4582 connected via wifi???? Linksys RE6500 Wi-Fi Extender -->Cisco SPA122 VoIP ATA

a) Hitron CODA-4582 should have SIP ALG disabled in it
Open your web browser, and login at 192.168.0.1. Default username is cusadmin.
Select the “Basic” tab and disable “SIP ALG.” Click the “save changes” button.

b) It's not a good idea to be separating the ATA via Wi-Fi. That introduces an additional point of failure via Wi-Fi, which can increase pings and jitter to FPL.
If you're connecting the Hitron modem/router combo via ethernet cable to the Linksys RE6500, then that's good. If not, that setup is bad. In that case, use ethernet cable from the 4582 to the SPA122 instead. I don't know whether the 4582 offers QoS features, but if it does, properly enable QoS for your ATA.
Contact Rogers if need be. http://www.voipmechanic.com/qos-for-voip.htm (avoid what it says about the G.729a codec).

Anyway, if the playback issue simply involves your PC, you need to troubleshoot whatever media app is being used to play the .au file (typically Windows Media player on PCs) and also ensure that the .au file is downloaded completely. You can try a different audio player app. Do this instead: https://support.freephoneline.ca/hc/en- ... o-my-email. Extract the attached audio file from the email to your PC. Then play the file.

If the problem occurs when listening to voicemail using your ATA, pay attention to points a and b. But it seems to me that your phone calls using FPL, during the same time you're experiencing voicemail playback issues, would also be affected (choppy audio/jitter) if the problem is due to jitter/packet loss. Click https://forums.redflagdeals.com/newegg- ... #p28405628.
Please do not send me emails; I do not work for nor represent Freephoneline or Fongo. Post questions on the forums so that others may learn from responses or assist you. Thank you. If you have an issue with your account or have a billing issue, submit a ticket here: https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. Visit http://status.fongo.com/ to check FPL/Fongo service status. Freephoneline setup guides can be found at viewforum.php?f=15.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

SIP Device Name: Obihai 202/2182, Groundwire
Firmware Version: various
ISP Name: FTTH
Computer OS: Windows 64 bit
Router: Asuswrt-Merlin & others

Postby sncbhle18 » 12/24/2017

Liptonbrisk wrote:

a) Hitron CODA-4582 should have SIP ALG disabled in it
Open your web browser, and login at 192.168.0.1. Default username is cusadmin.
Select the “Basic” tab and disable “SIP ALG.” Click the “save changes” button.

I've disabled the SIP ALG function and will determine to see if that will make a difference.

Liptonbrisk wrote:
b) It's not a good idea to be separating the ATA via Wi-Fi. That introduces an additional point of failure via Wi-Fi, which can increase pings and jitter to FPL.
If you're connecting the Hitron modem/router combo via ethernet cable to the Linksys RE6500, then that's good. If not, that setup is bad. In that case, use ethernet cable from the 4582 to the SPA122 instead. I don't know whether the 4582 offers QoS features, but if it does, properly enable QoS for your ATA.
Contact Rogers if need be. http://www.voipmechanic.com/qos-for-voip.htm (avoid what it says about the G.729a codec).

I wonder if hooking up a "powerline networking" adapter would make a difference (i.e. one adapter would be plugged downstairs near the area where my CODA-4582 resides, while the other would be plugged in the room where my VOIP ATA)?

Anyways, I'll figure out the issue that I'm experiencing and will follow up shortly about my observations. I will take your suggestions into account.
sncbhle18
Active Poster

Postby Liptonbrisk » 12/25/2017

sncbhle18 wrote:
I've disabled the SIP ALG function and will determine to see if that will make a difference.

That won't affect playback on your PC, but it's good to disable SIP ALG in those Hitron modem/routers combos in general for SIP services.

It's always best to use ethernet cable to the ATA (from the router) in order to limit increased jitter and pings that would otherwise occur from Wi-Fi interference (or random weak signals). So, no, powerline is not an ideal solution. Visit https://forums.redflagdeals.com/newegg- ... #p28531322 for information on how to connect your ATA to your house so that all phone jacks work.
Please do not send me emails; I do not work for nor represent Freephoneline or Fongo. Post questions on the forums so that others may learn from responses or assist you. Thank you. If you have an issue with your account or have a billing issue, submit a ticket here: https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. Visit http://status.fongo.com/ to check FPL/Fongo service status. Freephoneline setup guides can be found at viewforum.php?f=15.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

SIP Device Name: Obihai 202/2182, Groundwire
Firmware Version: various
ISP Name: FTTH
Computer OS: Windows 64 bit
Router: Asuswrt-Merlin & others

Return to Community Support