Why Grandstream ht502 drop internet every 5 days...?

Have a question or problem with your Fongo application? This forum is the place to get help from both staff and fellow community members.
Fongo recommends Fongo Home Phone for a fully supported Home Phone system for only $4.95/mo

Why Grandstream ht502 drop internet every 5 days...?

Postby f_laplante » 04/04/2018

I have difficulty with my ATA for 2 months now. I have factory reset it, drop tektalk account as Fx1 and now have Fx1 and 2 on freephoneline.ca SIP : now my internet connection drop completely every 4-5 days (ATA without connection, phone not registered and no internet over the router...). Whan I restarted everything, it's good for another 4-5 days... Here is my set up :

Modem thomson DCM 475 LAN →
WAN : Grandstream ht502 LAN →
FX port 1 SIP freephoneline.ca
FX port 2 SIP freephoneline.ca
WAN : Airport extreme #1 : HAT –DHCP LAN →
WAN : Airport extreme #2 : HAT –DHCP

I have notice that 5 days is the same as the configuration of DHCP IP Lease Time in the basic setting. Is this setting in part of my internet blackout?

See the 5 PDF files attached to have detail of the configuration.

I have tried to set up the ATA in bridge mode but I think I dont understand well this configuration. It just blackout my ATA witch did not registered and was not accessible throught IP adress since it was bridged… I had to reset it from factory... :o

Having double NAT was not an issue for the last 3 years by having assigned IP that could not be in conflit with the devices before it. 192.168.3.X - 192.168.4.x and so on ...

Any idea? help! :?
Attachments
24 Grandstream Device Configuration_blank.pdf
(484.2 KiB) Downloaded 437 times
23 Grandstream Device Configuration_blank.pdf
(487.36 KiB) Downloaded 470 times
22 Grandstream Device Configuration.pdf
(260.38 KiB) Downloaded 462 times
21 Grandstream Device Configuration.pdf
(251.57 KiB) Downloaded 446 times
2 Grandstream Device Configuration_blank.pdf
(123.33 KiB) Downloaded 430 times
f_laplante
Just Passing Thru

SIP Device Name: ATA Grandstream Ht502
Firmware Version: Program -- 1.0.12.1
ISP Name: Tompson modem Cable
Computer OS: OsX
Router: Aiport extreme

Re: Why Grandstream ht502 drop internet every 5 days...?

Postby Liptonbrisk » 04/05/2018

f_laplante wrote:
Modem thomson DCM 475 LAN →
WAN : Grandstream ht502 LAN →
FX port 1 SIP freephoneline.ca
FX port 2 SIP freephoneline.ca
WAN : Airport extreme #1 : HAT –DHCP LAN →
WAN : Airport extreme #2 : HAT –DHCP

Having double NAT was not an issue for the last 3 years

So you have wall-->cable-->modem--->Grandstream HT502 ATA--->Apple Airport Extreme ?

For the purposes of VoIP only, that's not a double NAT setup. Everything involving the Apple router has nothing to do with VoIP in that scenario, so you can ignore the Apple router for the purposes of troubleshooting in that setup. You have modem-->ATA (with built in router). If you drop the NAT firewall (bridge mode) in the ATA, then you're leaving it unprotected in that setup.

Regardless, WAN to LAN throughput has to be horribly slow when using the Grandstream HT502 ATA as a router.

For me it would make more sense to use this setup:
wall-->cable-->Thomson modem-->Apple router (have all local devices connected to it)--->Grandstream ATA (there should be no need to use it as a router; it's too slow)

I don't know if Apple routers have SIP ALG enabled in them with no way to disable SIP ALG. But I'm going to guess that's the case, and there's no real harm regardless if
you use voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060. For what it's worth, I would avoid Apple routers for SIP services (such as Freephoneline). A router that lets you adjust both Unreplied
and Assured UDP timeout settings in addition to offering strong QoS features is preferable. But I'll try to offer a suggestion using what you have.

I have notice that 5 days is the same as the configuration of DHCP IP Lease Time in the basic setting. Is this setting in part of my internet blackout?

If a new IP lease is being issued, then that may be part of the problem. A prerequisite for using a VoIP service is to have an internet connection. If your internet connection drops, even momentarily, then it stands to reason that your VoIP service will drop as well. As for why your internet connection isn't automatically re-establised in your Grandstream ATA when internet service is established with your modem, I have no idea, sorry (I could guess, but I won't bother). Someone else with more experience than I do using the router features in either your Grandstream ATA or Apple router would be needed.

But if your internet service drops every 5 days (log in to your modem to check), that's an issue between your modem and Teksavvy. In that case, contact Teksavvy.

If the modem does have internet connectivity (doesn't drop every 5 days), then perhaps your problem will go away if you use your Apple router as a router--instead of using your ATA as a router.

See the 5 PDF files attached to have detail of the configuration

So, I would try the following:
wall-->cable-->Thomson cable modem-->Apple router (have all local devices connected to it)--->Grandstream ATA (there should be no need to use it as a router; it's too slow; don't use router functions in it)

Primary SIP Server should be voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060 because I am concerned that Apple Airport router has faulty SIP ALG feature forced on with no way to disable it.
If you're experiencing some sort of DNS issue, you could also try 162.213.111.21:6060

Prefer Primary SIP should be yes, if you're going to use failover. Otherwise, specifying a Failover SIP server doesn't make any sense to me.
Outbound Proxy should be blank. Actually, delete Failover SIP server. Leave that blank. Let's just use voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060 (nothing else). Outbound Proxy should be blank. Prefer Primary SIP should be set to no.

SIP Registration Failure Retry Wait Time should be 120 seconds

Reregister before Expiration should be 0

Random Port should be set to Yes for security reasons (it can also be helpful when dealing with corrupted NAT associations between routers and ATAs)

Preferred Vocoder:
◦ Choice 1 should be PCMU unless you enjoy inferior audio quality

I'm not sure what a "self defined" time zone is, but I would specify your time zone. Please fix that.

Proper device reboot order is always modem--->router (wait for it to be fully up and running)--->ATA. Keep that in mind in the future when rebooting devices in the scenario I presented.

I'm not sure why I'm supposed to read 5 different PDF files. I'm very tired at the moment, and I haven't looked over every single setting. What I've written is probably the best advice I can offer without having a HT502 and Apple router to test with. I have nothing further to suggest at the moment.
Please do not send me emails; I do not work for nor represent Freephoneline or Fongo. Post questions on the forums so that others may learn from responses or assist you. Thank you. If you have an issue with your account or have a billing issue, submit a ticket here: https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. Visit http://status.fongo.com/ to check FPL/Fongo service status. Freephoneline setup guides can be found at viewforum.php?f=15.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

SIP Device Name: Obihai 202/2182, Groundwire
Firmware Version: various
ISP Name: FTTH
Computer OS: Windows 64 bit
Router: Asuswrt-Merlin & others

Postby f_laplante » 04/05/2018

But if your internet service drops every 5 days (log in to your modem to check), that's an issue between your modem and Teksavvy. In that case, contact Teksavvy.
If the modem does have internet connectivity (doesn't drop every 5 days), then perhaps your problem will go away if you use your Apple router as a router--instead of using your ATA as a router.

Teksavvy told me it wasn't on their side. When I was also using tektalk (their VoIP), I also had DSN error in the last 2 months and slowlyness. It was the first time in 3 years. That's why I quit tektalk and only have 2 freephone line on this ATA at the moment.

I'll try to understand how to log in modem to verify if it still log. I only use airport app on my phone that says non connected.

So, I would try the following:
wall-->cable-->Thomson cable modem-->Apple router (have all local devices connected to it)--->Grandstream ATA (there should be no need to use it as a router; it's too slow; don't use router functions in it)

Apple airport was difficult to configure to let the communication port OPEN for outgoing voice. That is why I keep ATA in front. I'm able to get my usual speed 17mbs download and 11mbs upload. I'll change order if I'm not able to resolve this problem.

Primary SIP Server should be voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060 because I am concerned that Apple Airport router has faulty SIP ALG feature forced on with no way to disable it.

That server was an obligation for Rogers. In the past, it didn't work well for me, but I'll retry it.

If you're experiencing some sort of DNS issue, you could also try 162.213.111.21:6060

this is interesting. What exactly it stand for : the organization for IP address 162.213.111.21 is Fibernetics Corporation in Toronto, Ontario, Canada? I'll give it a try...

Preferred Vocoder:

Freephoneline SIP configuration file request : Utilisation du Codec: G711u ou G729a.
That is why...

I keep in mind that a setting in ATA cause disconnection or is not renew automaticly (or fast enough) IP : this is still my main concern. I'll give a try to modify some configuration with liptonbrisk suggestion. Other idea?
f_laplante
Just Passing Thru

SIP Device Name: ATA Grandstream Ht502
Firmware Version: Program -- 1.0.12.1
ISP Name: Tompson modem Cable
Computer OS: OsX
Router: Aiport extreme

Postby Liptonbrisk » 04/05/2018

f_laplante wrote:Teksavvy told me it wasn't on their side.

Internet connectivity is not, logically, an issue with anything other than your modem (if it's dying) or your ISP.

Either your modem is connected properly to the internet or it's not. Check light patterns and modem logs.
If you're losing internet connectivity, the loss of internet service doesn't involve Freephoneline or Tektalk.

Also, when you encounter problems, check FPL's registration status in your ATA.
It's possible that when a new IP lease is issued to your modem, the ATA, for whatever
reason, isn't refreshing that information from the modem or is also not refreshing NAT associations as well. I don't know enough about how
the router function in your Grandstream ATA operates to offer a suggestion if that's the problem other than to try rebooting your ATA.
Grandstream has its own forums over here: https://forums.grandstream.com/
They can also be reached at http://www.grandstream.com/company/contact-us.

When I was also using tektalk (their VoIP), I also had DSN error in the last 2 months and slowlyness. It was the first time in 3 years. That's why I quit tektalk

Tektalk is just a VoIP service. It's not your internet service.
The G.711u audio codec, which is the equivalent of POTS (Plain Old Telephone Service), requires approximately 88 kbps in each direction with IP overhead. Figure 120 kilobits per second each way to be safe.
Unless you have extremely low upload speeds, it's unlikely that a VoIP service would cause significant slowdowns.

and only have 2 freephone line on this ATA at the moment.

Alright, I didn't realize you were using two different FPL accounts last night. Now, I somewhat understand why there's multiple PDF files.

You do own two different VoIP unlock keys, correct?
Please note that only one (device/softphone) registration per FPL account is allowed at any time.
When there are multiple devices/softphones using the same account, only the most recent registration is valid. The previous device will lose registration (despite the ATA's registration status) and incoming calls will not work on it. Registration is required for incoming calls but not for outgoing calls. In other words, people registering the exact same FPL account on FXS1 and FXS2 are going to run into problems.

If the Apple router does have SIP ALG enabled with no way to disable it (and I suspect that it may), then that's a problem when using it with SIP services (whether your Apple router has SIP ALG enabled doesn't matter if you're connecting the ATA directly to the modem).

Typically it's far better to have your own router with strong QoS functions and a restricted cone NAT firewall, disable whatever SIP ALG feature is enabled in the router, and stick whatever modem/router combo your ISP gives you into bridge mode. Modem/router combos (or gateways) issued by ISPs frequently have faulty (and hidden) SIP ALG/SPI features enabled with no way for the customer to disable them without getting a technical representative from his or her ISP to turn this feature off. Quite frequently, the first representative you speak to will have no idea how to accomplish this, much less know what SIP ALG is. Someone may try to enable DMZ in your modem/router combo or port forward; doing either is a huge security risk. Be aware if you reset your modem/router combo or when your ISP pushes a new firmware update to your modem/router combo, SIP ALG may be enabled again by default (and, therefore, it’s simply better to have your own router with SIP ALG disabled in it).

To understand why SIP ALG often causes horrible problems, please visit http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Routers+SIP+ALG.

“SIP ALG problems
The main problem is the poor implementation at SIP protocol level of most commercial routers and the fact that this technology is just useful for outgoing calls, but not for incoming calls.

Lack of incoming calls
When a UA is switched on, it sends a REGISTER to the proxy in order to be localizable and receive incoming calls. This REGISTER is modified by the ALG feature (if not, the user wouldn't be reachable by the proxy since it indicated a private IP in REGISTER "Contact" header). Common routers just maintain the UDP "connection" open for a while (30-60 seconds) so after that time the port forwarding is ended, and incoming packets are discarded by the router. Many SIP proxies mantain the UDP keepalive by sending OPTIONS or NOTIFY messages to the UA, but they just do it when the UA has been detected as NATted during the registration. A SIP ALG router rewrites the REGISTER request so the proxy doesn't detect the NAT and doesn't maintain the keepalive (so incoming calls will be not possible).

Breaking SIP signalling
Many of the actual common routers with inbuilt SIP ALG modify SIP headers and the SDP body incorrectly, breaking SIP and making communication just impossible. Some of them do a whole replacing by searching a private address in all SIP headers and body and replace them with the router public mapped address (for example, replacing the private address if it appears in "Call-ID" header, which makes no sense at all). Many SIP ALG routers corrupt the SIP message when modifying it (i.e. missed semi-colon ";" in header parameters). Writing incorrect port values greater than 65536 is also common in many of these routers.

Disallows server side solutions
Even if you don't need a client side NAT solution (your SIP proxy gives you a server NAT solution), if your router has a SIP ALG function that is enabled and breaks SIP signalling, SIP ALG will make communication with your proxy impossible.”

For general information, I suggest reading the first four pages (the preamble) of this PDF guide: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=18805#p73839.

I'll try to understand how to log in modem to verify if it still log.

Your ISP should be able to help you with that. That's their responsibility. Give them a call.

Apple airport was difficult to configure to let the communication port OPEN for outgoing voice.

That may be a SIP ALG related issue. One-way audio issues are often related to a faulty SIP ALG feature in routers.

That is why I keep ATA in front. I'm able to get my usual speed 17mbs download and 11mbs upload. I'll change order if I'm not able to resolve this problem.

Alright, if you ever subscribe to faster internet service in excess of 25 Mbps, I would be surprised if you didn't encounter issues.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r289282 ... throughput (#3)

Also moving files across devices over a LAN using HT502 would be extremely limiting, but I guess you're connecting all other devices to your Apple router, which is fine.
So, let's keep the physical setup (modem-->ATA) as you have it for now.

That server was an obligation for Rogers.

The real function of voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060 is to bypass faulty SIP ALG functions in routers. Hitron modem/router combos (or gateways) in the past that were issued from Rogers had SIP ALG stuck on with no way for the user to disable it. However, Rogers is not the only ISP that issued gateways or modem/router combos that have that problem. And it's entirely possible that your Apple router has SIP ALG enabled with no way for you to disable it as well. It doesn't matter what the ISP is. Anyone with potential SIP ALG issues (without any workaround available) should use voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060. Recent modem/router combos (Hitron gateways) issued by Rogers (Hitron CODA-4582U, for example) offer the option to disable SIP ALG. So, using voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060 is not a requirement for all Rogers customers. Anyone, with any ISP, can use voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060. It doesn't matter what ISP is being used.

SIP ALG typically listens to traffic coming across UDP ports 5060 and 5061 (it may also listen to other UDP ports that are close). That's why using 6060 with voip4.freephoneline.ca is supposed to help bypass SIP ALG.

Using a random high local sip port in your ATA between 30000 and 60000 can also help bypass SIP ALG sometimes as well in addition to helping to thwart SIP scanners or hackers.

In the past, it didn't work well for me, but I'll retry it.

I would avoid using the same Primary SIP server for both Freephoneline registrations (on both FXS ports) in your ATA.
If your ATA makes more than 5 registration attempts in 5 minutes, you may end up being temporarily IP banned by the specific FPL server the ATA was sending registration requests to.
More than 5 registration attempts attempts within 5 minutes can result in a temporary IP ban from the FPL server being used.
From https://community.freepbx.org/t/trunk-s ... ca/22479/8
"As May 2013, our servers will rate limit REGISTER requests to a maximum of 10 requests per 5 minutes. Each authentication round usually consumes 2 requests (digest auth), so it is a fair number given our guidelines. Also, it does not affect INVITES (which are also authenticated)...

This rate limit is applied per IP address as our service is tailored to residential Canadian users (ADSL/Cable)."

If you're temporarily IP banned, you could then try switching your Primary SIP server to a different FPL server than the one you were previously using (voip.freephoneline.ca, voip2.freephoneline.ca, or voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060), unless you need to use voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060 because you have SIP ALG forced on in your router. The purpose of voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060 is to circumvent SIP ALG features in routers. Or you can disable FPL SIP registration in all devices (turn off your ATA; disable any softphone app that is using your FPL accounts) and wait several hours until the temporary ban clears.

If both lines in your ATA are using the same Primary SIP server, rebooting your ATA multiple times within a short period increases the risk of causing you to be temporarily IP banned. So would multiple registration attempts in general.

With respect to temporary IP bans, these three timers are important and should be set properly:

https://support.freephoneline.ca/hc/en- ... redentials

i) Registration Interval:3600 seconds (1 hour)

ii) Registration Expiry: 3600 seconds (1 hour)

iii) Failed Registration Re-Try Interval: 120 seconds

For you, that means
Register Expiration: 60 min
Reregister before Expiration should be 0
SIP Registration Failure Retry Wait Time should be 120 seconds

this is interesting. What exactly it stand for : the organization for IP address 162.213.111.21 is Fibernetics Corporation in Toronto, Ontario, Canada? I'll give it a try...

Fibernetics, which owns/operates Freephoneline and Fongo, is the largest privately held competitive local exchange carrier (CLEC) in Canada. Fongo and Freephonline are treated as being separate entities by Fibernetics (it costs money to port phone numbers between FPL and Fongo home phone or Fongo Mobile). So, FPL and Fongo are considered to be sister companies, despite offering similar services.
However, they are run by, basically, the same group of people.

https://www.freephoneline.ca/termsCondi ... 11Text.jsp
"Freephoneline is a digital phone service offered by Fibernetics Freephoneline Inc. ("FPL"), part of the Fibernetics Corporation group of companies (the "Freephoneline Service" or the "Service")."

http://www.fibernetics.ca/

Fibernetics owns/provides your FPL phone numbers. Fibernetics is your carrier. You can lookup the carrier of your phone numbers here: https://www.textmagic.com/free-tools/carrier-lookup.

voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060 is 162.213.111.21:6060

The purpose of DNS is to translate the server (or host) name to the appropriate IP address. If your DNS isn't working properly for your ATA, you're going to have problems.
That's why doing the translation yourself might help.

ping voip4.freephoneline.ca
You should get a response from 162.213.111.21

If you're encountering some sort of DNS issue with your ATA, you can supply the IP address for the SIP server you're registering to instead.
However, if FPL ever changes the IP address for voip4.freephoneline.ca (in this example), then you would need to update the IP address yourself again in the ATA. For now, anyway, voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060 is 162.213.111.21:6060

Freephoneline SIP configuration file request : Utilisation du Codec: G711u ou G729a.
That is why...

G.711u is PCMU or the equivalent of POTS (Plain Old Telephone Service)

G.729a is a lossy low bandwidth audio codec, which sounds vastly inferior, but uses less bandwidth than PCMU or G.711u,

Again,
Preferred Vocoder:

Anyway, with
wall-->cable-->Thomson cable modem-->Grandstream ATA

1) Use a different Primary SIP server for FXS Port 1 and FXS Port 2.

If you're using voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060 for FXS Port 1, then choose either voip2.freephoneline.ca or voip.freephoneline.ca for FXS Port 2.

voip.freephoneline.ca:5060 is 208.65.240.44:5060
voip2.freephoneline.ca:5060 is 162.213.111.22:5060
voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060 is 162.213.111.21:6060
(at the time of this post)

2) Outbound Proxy should be blank. Prefer Primary SIP Server should be set to no.

3) Failover SIP server should be blank

4) SIP Registration Failure Retry Wait Time should be 120 seconds

5) Reregister before Expiration should be 0

6) Use Random SIP port (yes, enable)

OR

If that's set to no, enter (choose, yourself) a random local SIP port between 30000 and 60000. Do that for both lines.

What you don't want is the same local SIP port for both FXS Port 1 and FXS Port 2.

7) Preferred Vocoder:

8) I'm not sure what a "self defined" time zone is, but I would specify your time zone in your ATA. Please fix that.

9) Proper device reboot order for you (in this scenario) would be modem (wait for it to be fully up and running)-->ATA
Please do not send me emails; I do not work for nor represent Freephoneline or Fongo. Post questions on the forums so that others may learn from responses or assist you. Thank you. If you have an issue with your account or have a billing issue, submit a ticket here: https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. Visit http://status.fongo.com/ to check FPL/Fongo service status. Freephoneline setup guides can be found at viewforum.php?f=15.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

SIP Device Name: Obihai 202/2182, Groundwire
Firmware Version: various
ISP Name: FTTH
Computer OS: Windows 64 bit
Router: Asuswrt-Merlin & others

Return to Community Support