Question regarding FPL Voip in Quebec.

Have a question or problem with your Fongo application? This forum is the place to get help from both staff and fellow community members.
Fongo recommends Fongo Home Phone for a fully supported Home Phone system for only $4.95/mo

Question regarding FPL Voip in Quebec.

Postby tanny » 09/29/2018

HI, I'll be helping a friend in Quebec setup their FPL Voip account services.

Here's their present setup in Saint-Sauveur Quebec.
- VMEDIA ISP with Cable Modem (15Mbps down, 1Mbps up)
- TP-Link Wireless Router -(with builtin 4-Ethernet Ports, NAT, firewall, ...).
- Area code in their location in Quebec is "450", or "579" .
- (will be purchasing a Voip phone number from freephoneline.ca).

Questions:
- Does freephone.ca have voip (phone numbers) that will work for the above area codes in Quebec. ?
- Any recommendations on a good Voip ATA's that work's well with freephonline.ca
I've heard good things about OBi200, Grandstream ???, Cisco, ...?

Thanks ahead, and if you need any other detailed info let me know.
tanny
Quiet One

SIP Device Name: SPA2102
Firmware Version: always latest
ISP Name: start.ca
Computer OS: Linux, Windoze
Router: Linksys SPA2102

Re: Question regarding FPL Voip in Quebec.

Postby lustucru » 09/29/2018

FPL has phone numbers available in area code 579, not sure for 450. A friend of mine living in Longueuil (QC) received a FPL number winth area code 579 some time ago.

FPL offers canada wide free calling cities, except Yukon, NW territories and Nunavut.

Regarding ATA, I use Grandstream since 2012 and the configuration is staightforward. Obihai also is a good product and you find can help in this forum for this model (there are more than 300 posts in this forum for Obihai).
lustucru
Technical Support

SIP Device Name: Grandstream HT-286
Firmware Version: 1.1.0.45
ISP Name: Bell Fibe 300/300
Computer OS: Windows 7 Pro 64 bits
Router: Bell hub 1000
Smartphone Model: Moto E
Android Version: Android 6.0

Postby Jake » 10/01/2018

Here is a list of the area codes that FPL can provide. Obviously availability will factor into what they can provide when your friend signs up.
https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/arti ... 806#quebec

I don't see Saint-Sauveur on that list, so they will probably just have to pick the next best option. That list might not be up to date either, but I would hope it is :)
Jake
Technical Support

Postby tanny » 10/03/2018

Jake wrote:Here is a list of the area codes that FPL can provide. Obviously availability will factor into what they can provide when your friend signs up.
https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/arti ... 806#quebec
I don't see Saint-Sauveur on that list, so they will probably just have to pick the next best option. That list might not be up to date either, but I would hope it is :)

and @lustucru

Thanks all for the info.
and yes, although they are in a (450) Saint-Sauveur area code, it looks like 579 is the closest one.:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Quebec_area_codes
specifically, "450: off-island suburbs of Montreal (western parts of Estrie, Laval, Lanaudière, Basses-Laurentides and Montérégie), overlaid by 579" ?
I'm assuming "450 ... overlaid by 579" means that 579 should be ok,
and hopefully they won't get dinged any extra $, for going across area codes. :?:
tanny
Quiet One

SIP Device Name: SPA2102
Firmware Version: always latest
ISP Name: start.ca
Computer OS: Linux, Windoze
Router: Linksys SPA2102

Postby Jake » 10/04/2018

It looks like 450 and 579 cover the same areas, as you say it's just an overlay code.

They won't (shouldn't) have to pay any extra for calls no matter where they call, thanks to the latest announcement where pretty much anywhere inn Canada is free to call now. Where it might make a difference is incoming calls. Their next door neighbour might be told calling them is a long distance call. It all depends if the number is connected to the same exchange or not.

Looking at Saint-Sauveur I can see a few local prefixes. If possible, pick a number that is on this exchange https://www.localcallingguide.com/lpref ... xch=174270

I'm not an expert on Quebec and their towns/area codes, but a quick look through both the exchange list and the list of numbers that Fongo provides, either Montreal or St-Jerome might be your best bet. You will know if that is anywhere near where they are and if that would make sense more than I will of course.

Maybe someone who knows better might be able to chime in.

The good thing with Fongo/FPL is you can either just set up another free account if you got the number wrong, or if you have paid for the unlock key you can ask for a new number.
https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/arti ... ne-number-
Jake
Technical Support

Return to Community Support