Several dropped calls

Have a question or problem with your Fongo application? This forum is the place to get help from both staff and fellow community members.
Fongo recommends Fongo Home Phone for a fully supported Home Phone system for only $4.95/mo

Several dropped calls

Postby mh1983 » 10/22/2019

I'm getting a few dropped calls today. They are all incoming calls. Haven't tried outgoing yet.

Anyone seeing similar issues? I'm using the voip4 server and my HT-701 is on the latest firmware. No network topology changes; the ATA is connected to a ddwrt router which hangs off of a standalone cable modem. There are no incidents reported on status.fongo.com either.

Help is appreciated.
mh1983
Lightly Seasoned

SIP Device Name: Grandstream HT-701
Firmware Version: 1.0.10.3
ISP Name: Teksavvy Cable
Computer OS: Windows 10 64 bit
Router: Linksys WRT N600 on DD-WRT
Smartphone Model: BlackBerry Q10

Re: Several dropped calls

Postby Liptonbrisk » 10/22/2019

mh1983 wrote:I'm getting a few dropped calls today. They are all incoming calls. Haven't tried outgoing yet.

Anyone seeing similar issues? I'm using the voip4 server and my HT-701 is on the latest firmware. No network topology changes; the ATA is connected to a ddwrt router which hangs off of a standalone cable modem. There are no incidents reported on status.fongo.com either.

Help is appreciated.

I've made a few outgoing calls today on voip4 and none dropped. I've just tested a 10 minute incoming call on voip4, and that call didn't drop either. I wish I did have more time to test, but I can't test extensively this week.

Random dropped incoming calls can be a result of severe packet loss (if jitter/ping spikes are bad enough, calls can drop). Refer to page 45 (choppy audio) from this PDF guide: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=18805#p73839. I realize the PDF guide is for a different ATA, but page 45 applies to everyone, regardless of the device being used. I don't know if you've ever played an MMO, but if you've ever experienced severe packet loss or large ping spikes between you and the gaming server, the game will disconnect. The same idea applies here. The cause could be your ISP or a problem along the path (refer to the WinMTR test mentioned on page 45) between you and FPL's server.

Also, as more people use smartphones to place calls, the problem can be on the caller's end if the cellular signal is weak.

Without packet inspection, a SIP trace or log, these types of issues can be difficult to diagnose, but a good first step is properly enabling QoS in your router for your ATA or assigning your ATA the highest priority of all devices on your LAN using your router. You may be able to find assistance for QoS configuration at https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/.
Please do not send me emails; I do not work for nor represent Freephoneline or Fongo. Post questions on the forums so that others may learn from responses or assist you. Thank you. If you have an issue with your account or have a billing issue, submit a ticket here: https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. Visit http://status.fongo.com/ to check FPL/Fongo service status. Freephoneline setup guides can be found at viewforum.php?f=15.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

SIP Device Name: Obihai 202/2182, Groundwire
Firmware Version: various
ISP Name: FTTH
Computer OS: Windows 64 bit
Router: Asuswrt-Merlin & others

Return to Community Support