Outgoing call sound cutoff

Have a question or problem with your Fongo application? This forum is the place to get help from both staff and fellow community members.
Fongo recommends Fongo Home Phone for a fully supported Home Phone system for only $4.95/mo
Hyrules
Active Poster
SIP Device Name: GRANDSTREAM HT701
ISP Name: Electronic Box
Computer OS: Windows 10 x64
Router: Edgerouter 6P

Outgoing call sound cutoff

Post by Hyrules »

Hi,

I'm having some problem with my FPL connexion. Lately, i'm getting complaints from the person with whom i'm speaking that my voice is cutting off when I speak.
I have tested my connection and i don't seem to have jitter or a high ping. Any help would be appreciated.

I'm using an OBI202 as ATA and my router is a WRT610N.
Bloodsong
Tried and True
SIP Device Name: Zoiper| Grandstream GXP2000
ISP Name: Tek Savvy Internet (DSL)
Computer OS: CentOS, Arch, Widows 7, AIX, AS/400
Router: Cisco ASA 5520
Smartphone Model: Samsung Galaxy Ace Q
Android Version: 2.3.6

Re: Outgoing call sound cutoff

Post by Bloodsong »

Check your codec preferences, set your RTP stream size no larger than 0.020, I see you're on DD-WRT setup QOS to dedicate some attention to your ATA, feel free to ask for pointers, be careful not to be over-zealous in your QOS set-up as this can detriment quality, find a balance.
Check to ensure that you (or anyone else in your household or on your wifi) is not excessively downloading or esp. Torrenting. This includes video-streaming services like Netflix should be monitored during call quality issues.

Electronic Box seems like an interesting company, but judging by their usage platform they may have some minor shaping in their network, it's worth asking, if you do ask, try to get the answer out of Tier 3. Their DSL packages look like they should have minimal issue otherwise.
Hyrules
Active Poster

Post by Hyrules »

Thanks for the help. I have given the priority to my ATA mac address. Is there a priority I should gave other than standard ? is there any limit i should put in the
qos.JPG
for the RTP stream size it's already at 20 ms ( juging by the obi interface)
codecs.JPG
for electronic box, I'll ask on their forum. They are a pretty transparent company. They like to give information to their clients about almost anything.
Bloodsong
Tried and True

Post by Bloodsong »

That's great because after I saw their packages I'm considering suggesting them to a friend of mine who is about to change services.

If you need any help understanding this code block let me know, I just find it easier to use a Shell to dump my qos settings than taking screen shots.
I also notice it doesn't exactly dump in order, you should put 80-95% of your maximum speed each in uplink/downlink (start as high as possible reduce if you notice issues during load.)

I have a lot of extra settings specific to throttling of the different devices. the 256KB is my IP Phone, high priority, but low usage.

You do NOT have to follow these, but if you find trouble when troubleshooting consider *SOME* of my QOS options as a guide line, basically test what ever makes sense to the way you use your computers.

Don't set anything higher than priority 10. (Second highest priority pre-set)

Code: Select all

root@DD-WRT:~# nvram show |grep qos
qos_done=1
svqos_port2bw=20M
svqos_port4prio=40
svqos_port2prio=20
svqos_port1bw=50M
qos_type=0
svqos_macs=00:0B:82:2A:F9:A0 20 | A4:5C:27:BA:D2:AF 20 |
svqos_port4bw=2M
svqos_svcs=rtp l7 0:0 10 | sip l7 0:0 20 |
svqos_port3prio=10
svqos_ips=
size: 26161 bytes (6607 left)
svqos_port1prio=20
svqos_port3bw=256K
Hyrules
Active Poster

Post by Hyrules »

Actually i fixed the problem by putting the ATA before the router and raising the RTP packet size to 10 ms. I know it's kinda weird since this should increase the payload of the packets and demand in upload bandwidth but that actually made things alot better. I still have small quirks here and there but for a free service and the small amount of time we use the phone per day it's worth it.
Bloodsong
Tried and True

Post by Bloodsong »

Hyrules wrote:Actually i fixed the problem by putting the ATA before the router and raising the RTP packet size to 10 ms. I know it's kinda weird since this should increase the payload of the packets and demand in upload bandwidth but that actually made things alot better. I still have small quirks here and there but for a free service and the small amount of time we use the phone per day it's worth it.
Nope this is good, 10ms should always have better sound quality than 20. (Some ATAs like the linksys default to 30 which is outside of the supported range of ULAW/ALAW codecs)

ATA first is usually a good idea as the ATA will handle QOS almost flawlessly every time in my experience, not all ATAs have a LAN port or router options.

Most ATAs also have in their QOS section a spot for you to report your upload/download maximums. Depending on the QOS algorithm you'll want to play with between 85% and 100% of maximum in those fields.
Melchizedek
Quiet One
SIP Device Name: OBi100
Firmware Version: Always Latest
ISP Name: Virgin Mobile (Fiber)
Computer OS: Windows 10
Router: Virgin router (Valerie)

Post by Melchizedek »

How can you put your ATA (in my case the PAP2T) before the router?
Bloodsong
Tried and True

Post by Bloodsong »

Melchizedek wrote:How can you put your ATA (in my case the PAP2T) before the router?
Another electronic box I see.

Unfortunately in your case you have an ATA that does not also include routing functions. (Has only 1 ethernet port) Many ATAs and SIP Phone have a WAN and a LAN ethernet port allowing it to be the primary network device.

Modem - > ATA - > Router

In your case you will have to ensure your IP settings and port forwarding for the ATA for best quality. As stated above, mention any specific issue you are having and we will do our best.

Modem - > Router -> ATA