select phone number

Have a great idea? We'd love to hear it! Want to share the story of how Fongo is saving you money? This is the place to do it!

select phone number

Postby lipeng8577 » 12/28/2011

HI Great Team at FPL,

I have a suggestion for us picking up a "happy" number more smoothly. You have already implemented some features, like, choosing a number from a few tries, etc.

It would be really nice if you can work out your web interface/database a bit like attached Voip.ms portal. They can search and list out all the numbers, so you can save some effort and just pick up the number you like or a few numbers you like.

Hope this is not much of work for you guys.

thanks and have a nice holiday.
Peng
Attachments
Screenshot-1.png
lipeng8577
Just Passing Thru

SIP Device Name: asterisk
ISP Name: teksavvy
Computer OS: linux

Re: select phone number

Postby lipeng8577 » 12/28/2011

btw, you can create a free voip,ms account and see how it implements the Voip solution and learn from them. For example, main account, sub-account, etc.

thanks, great service from you guys.
lipeng8577
Just Passing Thru

SIP Device Name: asterisk
ISP Name: teksavvy
Computer OS: linux

select phone number

Postby TheHardy » 12/28/2011

Heya Peng -- thanks for the post. I think something like this has already been suggested once or twice, but never really acted on. I don't recall if there was an official reply from FPL, but I know that the UNOFFICIAL one is "hey, it's _FREE_, don't ask for TOO much ...". With FPL, you do get 3 tries at a number, but ... if you are tricky, after two, switch provinces, try an out of province #, then go back and try two more times ... repeat ... it does not "count-out" on you ... therefore you can try a few extra times to get something that "looks nice".

All in all, having a preset list of 5 or so #'s at a time to select from would be a nice idea, and 3 sets of 5 in total to get something ... but I am not holding my breath.

I think it will end up in the "not urgent but nice to consider at some time in the future" pile ... :-) Don't get me wrong -- I like the idea!
Hardy - Surrey, BC ~~ increasingly disgruntled FPL user ... comon, fix your stuff!
driver/webmaster - INCARTA Professional Delivery & Moving -- http://www.incarta.ca 604-594-7126
TheHardy
***Übergod***

SIP Device Name: FPL PC softphone (buggy)
Firmware Version: 3.0.3.0
ISP Name: Telus Optik
Computer OS: Win7
Router: Actiontec V1000H
Smartphone Model: none

Postby Jake » 12/28/2011

I'm sure there used to be a way to take a bit of the guesswork out of getting a good number. They have changed the site since, but I bet there is still a way :? 8-)
Jake
Technical Support

Postby TheHardy » 12/28/2011

I've mucked around and helped a few of my friends set up accounts ... other than my little trick above to give more chances at randomly landing a decent number, I have not been able to find any backdoor ways of generating "less-random" numbers ... including viewing page source etc.
Hardy - Surrey, BC ~~ increasingly disgruntled FPL user ... comon, fix your stuff!
driver/webmaster - INCARTA Professional Delivery & Moving -- http://www.incarta.ca 604-594-7126
TheHardy
***Übergod***

Postby Ice » 01/04/2012

There is also the Google Voice approach as well... giving suggestions and/or allowing pattern searches. In some ways I understand their need to limit the amount of numbers available to a new registrant, in other ways, I wish they'd just leave it wide open and let somebody patiently choose a nice number. :)
Ice
Lightly Seasoned

Postby TheHardy » 01/04/2012

I notice that there has been no FPL response to this thread yet. Maybe it is something that they could consider for their FonGo rebranding and feature enhancement?
TheHardy
***Übergod***

Postby j8van » 01/08/2012

FPL used to allow new users collect a number for unlimit times till their favorite number appears.
I believe the current 3-time limit is to avoid number hunters run all "lucky numbers" out from the systems.
Jay
j8van
Active Poster

Postby Jake » 01/08/2012

j8van wrote:FPL used to allow new users collect a number for unlimit times till their favorite number appears.
I believe the current 3-time limit is to avoid number hunters run all "lucky numbers" out from the systems.

Yes, when I got my first number I was able to keep trying until I got one I liked. I must have clicked that button loads of times :) It didn't really do me any good as when I saw one I liked I then had to decide if I would get a better one if I clicked the button a few more times. But then I would loose the one that just came up. I found a better way for my 2nd number 8-)
Jake
Technical Support

Postby TheHardy » 01/08/2012

Jake wrote:I found a better way for my 2nd number 8-)

Do you know if your "better way" still functions at the present?
TheHardy
***Übergod***

Postby j8van » 01/08/2012

Jake wrote:
j8van wrote:FPL used to allow new users collect a number for unlimit times till their favorite number appears.

Yes, when I got my first number I was able to keep trying until I got one I liked. I must have clicked that button loads of times :) It didn't really do me any good as when I saw one I liked I then had to decide if I would get a better one if I clicked the button a few more times. But then I would loose the one that just came up. I found a better way for my 2nd number 8-)

TheHardy wrote:Do you know if your "better way" still functions at the present?

I worked the reversed way, I set my potential number before I clicked, for an instance, 778-LoveJay, then I wouldn't pay attention to any number else until I met my LoveJay (one only exemption is 778-8888888 which is worthy changing my mind :lol:), this caused me less hesitation and pain.

But I think this "better way" no longer allowed... miss those golden moments. :cry:
Jay
j8van
Active Poster

Postby Jake » 01/08/2012

j8van wrote:But I think this "better way" no longer allowed... miss those golden moments. :cry:

Maybe...
Jake
Technical Support

Postby TheHardy » 01/08/2012

Too funny, but also too untrue --- 778 options are limited ... 300, 801, 802, 803, 805 ... I take it that you are in my neck of the woods, BTW, with the 778 and the "VAN" in yer user-tag ... :-)

Have you found ANY issues from any mobile providers in being able to call 778-80x series of FPL #'s? Telus MIKE seems to think that they are long distance calls even though they are local and I am calling from within the Metro Vancouver catchment area.

But we stray slightly off topic. With my main FPL #, I got lucky and got a decent Van-based one on 2nd attempt (ends in -xx00), so I somewhat lucked out even though I wasn't meaning to. For the one I got my friend signed up, I got a repeater .... 778-80a-aaac, but that was 3rd attempt, but was an easy enough one too.
TheHardy
***Übergod***

Postby j8van » 01/11/2012

Jake wrote:
j8van wrote:But I think this "better way" no longer allowed... miss those golden moments. :cry:

Maybe...

Now I doubt my thought from reading your "Maybe..." ;)
Jay
j8van
Active Poster

Postby j8van » 01/11/2012

TheHardy wrote:Too funny, but also too untrue --- 778 options are limited ... 300, 801, 802, 803, 805 ... I take it that you are in my neck of the woods, BTW, with the 778 and the "VAN" in yer user-tag ... :-)

Have you found ANY issues from any mobile providers in being able to call 778-80x series of FPL #'s? Telus MIKE seems to think that they are long distance calls even though they are local and I am calling from within the Metro Vancouver catchment area.

But we stray slightly off topic. With my main FPL #, I got lucky and got a decent Van-based one on 2nd attempt (ends in -xx00), so I somewhat lucked out even though I wasn't meaning to. For the one I got my friend signed up, I got a repeater .... 778-80a-aaac, but that was 3rd attempt, but was an easy enough one too.

That's just an instance... :lol:
You guessed right, the tag is Jay-at-Van... nice to have talked with you. :)
Jay
j8van
Active Poster

Return to Suggestions & Feedback