Mac OS X phone

This section is for general discussions surrounding digital phone service.

Mac OS X phone

Postby dacha » 07/23/2009

Hi
I realize that your softphone is only for Windows configuration.
Is there a phone for Mac OS x that we can use and just have your configuration?
Can you give me info where can i find one. Thanks in advance
dacha
Just Passing Thru

Re: Mac OS X phone

Postby FONGO_kris » 07/23/2009

Unfortunately we are in a bit of a rut when it comes to the Mac softphone, Mac natively uses G711u-Law but the softphone uses G729a-Law, which provides the end user as well as the person you called with the best audio quality. Even here in the office with a 50Mbps connection, the Mac softphone has horrible packet loss and is jittery on either end. We soon hope to get these bugs fixed.

On another note, we've made a lot of tests with different settings without any success. Sound is always choppy and it is hard to understand words. The official producer of codecs (JMF) - Sun Microsystems support all OS's except Mac. When the programming team has more time we will investigate if there are acceptable alternatives and how much time they would need to implement them. Of course this is not a top priority to think about different codecs; Last time we concluded that we need several (at least 2-3) months, of hard work do do this and unfortunately right now we don't have this time.

As for the phone client, I am not sure which ones are supported by Mac OS, you should do some of your own research to see what you can come up with, feel free to post that suggestion here in the forum in this tmie where we do not have a client for Mac OS.
Kris
Logistics & International Purchasing | Fongo
Call us toll-free! 611 from your fongo phone or 1-855-836-3355
Please advise I will no longer be contributing to this forum for the time being. Please feel free to email me.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Samsung Galaxy S2 [GT-I9100] / 3.0.15-I9100XXLPH / Thebyani v3.2
FONGO_kris
Site Moderator

SIP Device Name: Polycom 550 IP Phone
Firmware Version: 4.2.0.0310
ISP Name: Rogers Cable
Computer OS: Ubuntu 11.10
Router: Cisco E1200-N
Smartphone Model: Samsung Galaxy S2
Android Version: 4.0.3

Return to General Discussions