How do i check if my number can be ported?

Have a question or problem with your Fongo application? This forum is the place to get help from both staff and fellow community members.
Fongo recommends Fongo Home Phone for a fully supported Home Phone system for only $4.95/mo

How do i check if my number can be ported?

Postby kevinck » 12/12/2014

All the guides say to be 100% sure you are able to transfer your number before going about it.

How do i check this? Going through my account and choosing to Buy the number transfer prompts me to fill out a long form and confirm that i am actually authorizing the transfer. but i just want to check first so that i can try to time and schedule the phone number transfer and my switch over to dry loop internet around the same time... after the holidays. not going to risk being without internet during the holidays.

Are there random limitations or is it guaranteed based on your area code.

I have an land line area code 519 number in Waterloo, Ontario, Canada. This is the original area code for this region. Is it guaranteed i can transfer this number or do i need to somehow check first.
kevinck
Just Passing Thru

Re: How do i check if my number can be ported?

Postby bridonca » 12/12/2014

Fongo is based in the Waterloo region, so I have reasonable confidence your number can be ported over. Mind you, I did not do any actual research to confirm, call it a hunch!
bridonca
Technical Support

SIP Device Name: Netgear WGR615V
Firmware Version: latest
ISP Name: Eastlink
Computer OS: XP

Postby Jake » 12/12/2014

I was going to say to check on their support page (http://support.fongo.com/entries/228992 ... o-network-), but I can't find Waterloo on that page so I don't know :(
Maybe a smaller town of where your number is registered appears on the list.
Jake
Technical Support

Postby maximebeauvais » 12/12/2014

I understand that keeping your # is a must.

However, if you can't keep it or port it, then think about all the money that you will save if you change your phone number.

I have done the move with FPL for maybe 3 months and no more $$ need to be sent to videotron :)
maximebeauvais
Active Poster

SIP Device Name: OBi110
ISP Name: Bell Fibre 25/25
Router: Bell Home Hub 2000

Postby Mango3 » 12/12/2014

The rate centre is called Kitchener-Waterloo and it is portable.

If you wish, enter your area code and the next three digits of your phone number at https://www.telcodata.us/search-area-co ... nge-detail and verify that you are in fact in the Kitchener-Waterloo rate centre. (It displays as "Kitchener-Wate" there as the last part got cut off.)
Is your router as secure as you think it is? Find out with this simple test: http://toao.net/580
Mango3
Quiet One

Postby kevinck » 12/12/2014

Thanks. Here's what i got out of that telcodata.us site
ON Bell Canada 8051 Kitchener-Wate NOCLLIKNOWN 00/00/0000 Prefix Type: ICO Switch Name: N/A Switch Type: N/A LATA: N/A Tandem: N/A Detailed Switch Info

Sounds like i'm safe.

So if i go through the online form and ask freephoneline to port... will they give me a date? Or will they just say "sometime in the next 14 days". Because i need to coordinate with my current DSL and home phone provider. I assume as soon as the number port, my existing home phone is cancelled. And my DSL provider requires me to switch over to their dry loop service which they require at least 5 days notice to schedule a service cal to do that.

Worst case scenario. I port to freephoneline. Sometime in the next 14 days my phone and dsl go dead. I call my dsl provider and schedule them to come out to do a dry loop install. i am without internet(and without my freephoneline since i dont' have internet) for the 5-10 days it takes teksavvy to send out a tech.

Best case scenario. i port to freephoneline. They email me and say "Thank you, your number will be ported 11 days from now". I phone teksavvy and pre-schedule a tech for 12 days from now. One day buffer just to be safe. Phone ports on day 11 and phone/dsl go dead. Technician arrives next day and sets me up on dry loop internet.

Does free phoneline give me that date which will allow the good scenario? Or is there an alternative?
kevinck
Just Passing Thru

Postby bridonca » 12/12/2014

You will not get a porting date. The port can happen within minutes to within days. The reason is that both telcos are involved in the port, on their own schedules. By law, the telco has to release the number within 2 days for most ports, but it can take up to 10 days if there are exceptional circumstances.
bridonca
Technical Support

SIP Device Name: Netgear WGR615V
Firmware Version: latest
ISP Name: Eastlink
Computer OS: XP

Postby Mango3 » 12/13/2014

Since your DSL provider is TekSavvy, you should expect the worst case scenario. I would not even consider the possibility of TekSavvy orchestrating a seamless switchover.
Is your router as secure as you think it is? Find out with this simple test: http://toao.net/580
Mango3
Quiet One

Postby ckkatan » 12/13/2014

Hi kevinck,

I just ported my home phone # from Bell to FPL with Primus as my ISP.

As per the FPL, it could take up to 14 days to port the number. So, I arranged with Primus (indirectly with Bell) to switch my internet to a dry loop on about 10 business days.

With my experience, my number was ported in about 10 days (not business days). Thanked God that Bell did not discount my "voice" line immediately. Therefore, my internet was still working; however, Bell reprogrammed my internet to a lower up/download speed profile on my modem. About 4 days later, Bell came and switch my line to a dry loop and reprogrammed the speed profile back to what I should have.

All in all, I did not have any interruption at all. But, you may not receive the same experience.
ckkatan
Active Poster

SIP Device Name: Cisco
ISP Name: DSL
Router: Linksys

Return to Community Support