which VOIP modem support two server settings?

Have a question or problem with your Fongo application? This forum is the place to get help from both staff and fellow community members.
Fongo recommends Fongo Home Phone for a fully supported Home Phone system for only $4.95/mo

which VOIP modem support two server settings?

Postby vostro » 12/22/2014

i noticed that recently freephoneline switched between voip.freephoneline.ca and voip2.freephoneline.ca. since my VOIP modem only support one server setting, i have to manually change server whenever i got disconnected. this caused huge issue for me as i never know when this change happened in freephoneline side, it caused me missing import calls. so i'm looking for VOIP modem that support two server setting, so that i can put both voip.freephoneline.ca and voip2.freephoneline.ca into modem settings, to ensure i can always get connected. thanks for any advice.
vostro
Active Poster

SIP Device Name: Obi202
Firmware Version: 3.2.2 5857EX
ISP Name: Teksavvy Cable+DSL
Computer OS: Windows 10 pro 64bit
Router: Sonicwall TZ500+R7000+EX7000
Smartphone Model: iPhone 6s ios 11.4
Android Version: Galaxy S3 Tab Oreo
iOS Version: ipad pro 9.3.3 JB

Re: which VOIP modem support two server settings?

Postby Mango » 12/23/2014

If your router has the ability to create DNS SRV records, your SPA2102 can do what you want.

However, I'm concerned that you get disconnected from the server as this is not usual. Your router is listed as "Sonicwall TZ-210W+WNDR4500". Are you using both of these devices at the same time? Double NAT increases complexity and could be causing your problem.

One other thing you could try is increasing Reg Retry Intvl, which I believe you will find on your ATA's SIP tab. This will cause the ATA to wait for a period of time after failing a registration, which may give corrupted NAT connections a chance to time out.
Mango
Tried and True

SIP Device Name: OBi110
Firmware Version: 1.3.0 (Build: 2824)
ISP Name: Telus
Computer OS: Windows 7
Router: Toastman Tomato

Postby vostro » 12/23/2014

i use WNDR4500 for wireless AP only, so there is no double NAT. i'm not sure what you mean to create DNS SRV in sonicwall(i can't find DNS SRV option in sonicwall) but Reg Retry Intvl was set as FPL required.
vostro
Active Poster

Postby bridonca » 12/23/2014

I have no knowledge on how to switch providers as you describe from any ATA, but if you are not reliably getting incoming calls, you are not dealing with the correct problem. It seems the primary router is unable to reliably forward RTP ports from the primary router to the ATA for whatever reason. You you might have to manually forward them. I do believe the default RTP ports of the SPA2102 are a range from 16384 to 16482.

Also, make sure the registration time on the ATA is set for 3600 seconds. Any less, and freephonline will put you on a temporary timeout, as the system considers you hammering the system.

If you have a modem, hopefully you have it in bridge mode, to allow the primary router to do it's work. You said you did not have a double NAT situation between the router and the firewall, hopefully the same can be said for the firewall and the modem.
bridonca
Technical Support

SIP Device Name: Netgear WGR615V
Firmware Version: latest
ISP Name: Eastlink
Computer OS: XP

it's not RTP port issue, not registration time issue, not NAT issue. as long as i can connect to one of two FPL server, all incoming call is normal. the problem is that only one of two FPL server is working at any moment and FPL change it after some days. for instance i can connect to voip.freephoneline.ca without any issue for some days, then there is no connection on it, i have to change to voip2.freephoneline.ca and it will work some days, then it will not work again, i have to change back to voip.freephoneline.ca....this is extremely annoying and unreliable.
vostro
Active Poster

FPL is not having constant server issues - otherwise this forum would explode with people having the same problems as you. I agree with you that it's not an RTP port issue, as RTP is only for audio and would not affect loss of registration.

However, frequent registration does cause these exact symptoms. Do me a favour and double check that your Register Expires is set to 3600 as Bridonca suggested.

If your Register Expires is already set to 3600, please try something different for me, next time the problem occurs. Try to change your SIP Port to a random number between 20000 and 65535, while the problem is happening. Whether or not this solves the problem will tell us where to troubleshoot next.
Mango
Tried and True

register expires is set for sure at 3600. i have several FPL lines and each line with different SIP port from 5060-5066. i have no idea why there is only one FPL server is working now, in past i remember i can put two SPA2102 with different FPL server and both could work.
vostro
Active Poster

vostro wrote:i have several FPL lines

How many lines do you have? Are they all on the same LAN behind the same IP?

Is there any chance the script that blocks you for frequent registrations doesn't consider that you have multiple accounts, and just sees lots of registrations from your IP?

Have you tried to split your devices up? If you put some on voip.freephoneline.ca, some on voip2.freephoneline.ca, and some on voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060, does the problem go away or happen less frequently?
Mango
Tried and True

yes they are all in same LAN with same IP and i tried to spit them now. voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060 is working and voip2.freephoneline.ca is working as well, but not the voip.freephoneline.ca. it's possible FPL script blocked my IP in its server but it's not my fault(registration expire time set as 3600 for all lines).
vostro
Active Poster

Ok, cool. Give it an hour or two and try voip.freephoneline.ca again. If it works after some time, it confirms Bridonca's guess.
Mango
Tried and True

this setting hasn't been changed for months(registration expiry time etc) and disconnection from FPL happens not everyday and only recently this disconnection issue got annoying. so i guess it's FPL adjusts some script in its server side which causes hassles(i didn't change any setting in VOIP modem, nor change any ISP).
vostro
Active Poster

Postby bridonca » 12/23/2014

I should note, you guys are using too much logic when it concerns Cisco gear. I did not advocate forwarding RTP ports because it makes sense, I say it, because generally, that is what works when it comes to Cisco gear! I really hate Cisco gear because of that. You would likely not have this issue with newer VOIP gear.

Then again, I am in favour of manually forwarding ports, because I do not trust the router to be 100% right. It does not hurt that I have 5 different VOIP providers on the same router, so even though it is a nice DD-WRT router with a respectable Broadcom chipset, having it try to figure all that out would likely be too tasking for it.
bridonca
Technical Support

SIP Device Name: Netgear WGR615V
Firmware Version: latest
ISP Name: Eastlink
Computer OS: XP

yesterday when all my lines were disconnected from voip.freephoneline.ca, i switched only part of them into voip2.freephoneline.ca, until now, those lines remains on voip.freephoneline.ca are still disconnected.
vostro
Active Poster

bridonca wrote:I should note, you guys are using too much logic when it concerns Cisco gear. I did not advocate forwarding RTP ports because it makes sense

To paraphrase a famous computer scientist, I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a statement.

The OP claims to be losing registration. Registration has nothing to do with RTP. RTP is for audio and is established when you make or receive a call. Whether or not RTP ports need to be forwarded has nothing to do with an ATA being Cisco-branded or not. It's all in the router. If you have a crap router and one-way audio, port forwarding may solve the problem. A good router will route VoIP traffic properly. Having to "figure all that out" is exactly what your router is designed to do.

vostro wrote:until now, those lines remains on voip.freephoneline.ca are still disconnected.

To make sure I understand it correctly, you still have equipment attempting to register to voip.freephoneline.ca?

If so, that is making your problem worse. If you keep trying to register before the ban expires, you will extend the ban. Try powering down all your equipment that is registered to voip.freephoneline.ca for a couple of hours.
Mango
Tried and True

the VOIP server side script should be coded in a way that doesn't require VOIP users manually change their correct settings just because vendor's server side script bugs.
vostro
Active Poster

Postby Jake » 12/23/2014

They had many devices trying to register with the server every 60 seconds or so (which many adopted as a work around for another problem). The trouble with this is it was bringing the server down for everyone, so they implemented a banning system so if you try and register too often the server puts you on a time out. The ban is server dependant so as you have found swapping to a different server 'fixes' the registration problem, but only until you get banned on that server.

I would suggest this could be what is happening to you. One thing I have found on my PBX is, if I make lots of changes and keep applying the changes it sends new registration requests to the server. If I do this too many times the server thinks I am trying to register too often and I manage to get myself banned. Likewise I imagine if you change settings in your ATA, or keep plugging and unplugging it, this would also trigger a ban. I also believe the ban might now be a lot longer than an hour or two like it was, so this might be why you are having to wait a day or so before the server lets you on again.

The fact that you can flip between servers without changing anything to make it work again would suggest to be that a ban might be in play. The timers are usually the cause of this (not just the registration one) so it is worth double checking that they are all correct. There is a link below to the set up information and various values for each timer.

If it works at all, then there is a good chance that all the ports and things are correct, but the problem does very much sound like a server ban issue.

A solution will be to send in a support ticket. FPL support can obviously tell a lot more about what is going on. After all we are only really making guesses based on what you have told us. We have no real access to your account details, which they do. There could be a problem on their end with your account, and for that you would have to contact them directly.
Jake
Technical Support

as i didn't change any settings for months, the recent disconnection issue should not be caused by my side. all the timer value is same as FPL official web page. will contact FPL directly if this issue happens again.
vostro
Active Poster

Did you disconnect some of your gear for an hour or two like I suggested earlier? If so, is voip.freephoneline.ca working for you yet?
Mango
Tried and True

Postby Jake » 12/23/2014

Please update this thread with updates as it may help someone else who is having a similar issue.

Hope you get it fixed.
Jake
Technical Support

after disconnecting to voip.freephoneline.ca for a few hours, now i can connect to it. i now use four of FPL server: voip, voip2, voip3, voip4.
vostro
Active Poster

Sweet :D Fingers crossed that this solves the problem.
Mango
Tried and True

Postby Mango » 12/30/2014

Hi Vostro, how are things going?
Mango
Tried and True

Postby vostro » 09/02/2016

hi, i have been using HT502 for quite a while without any issue until today it automatically upgraded latest firmware. it can't get registered which i can't find any clue.
vostro
Active Poster

Postby Fongo Support » 09/03/2016

vostro wrote:hi, i have been using HT502 for quite a while without any issue until today it automatically upgraded latest firmware. it can't get registered which i can't find any clue.

Hi,

I think Mango is on vacation.

Please send me a PM with your account/ata details and I will try my best to assist you this long weekend when everyone else is away.

regards,
Fongo Support
Site Moderator

Postby vostro » 09/03/2016

thank you very much for the help, the new firmware seems to be having problem to synchronize registration status and its display, i now can get all lines working regardless whether it display registered or not.
vostro
Active Poster

Next

Return to Community Support