Porting: What if I quit Fongo?

Here you can post your own working configurations of hardware or software to share with other users who may be using the same device!
Fongo recommends Fongo Home Phone for a fully supported Home Phone system for only $4.95/mo
Forum rules
DISCLAIMER
This forum is for those users who have already purchased a configuration file with the SIP settings needed to configure any SIP compatible device.

1. Please use this forum only as a means to share your configuration advice and guides for ATA devices and SIP clients that you are using with our service.
2. For any questions relating to device configuration, please use the other forum sections or post your question directly in the device topic that your question is meant for.
3. Please title your topics with only the name and model of your device so users can easily find the information they need.
4. Preferable format for posting here is compressing your screenshots of your successfully configured device into a .zip file, and post a brief description of the configuration.

Please stay on topic

Porting: What if I quit Fongo?

Postby Daryl » 12/23/2014

I'm worried about porting my cell phone number to Fongo because what happens if I stop using Fongo? I assume I could still use that number with my cell phone, but I need that assurance. It would hurt my business to have to get a new cell number.
Daryl
Just Passing Thru

SIP Device Name: iphone
Router: Sagemcom Fast 5250

Re: Porting: What if I quit Fongo?

Postby bridonca » 12/23/2014

You can always port the number back out. Since Fongo supports forwarding, you could always forward it to the new number. In any case, you will not lose your old number whatever you decide to do.

From my understanding, if you paid money to Fongo, and that includes porting, you are not going to lose your Fongo service or phone number because of neglect. Inactive free accounts tend to get cancelled though.
bridonca
Technical Support

SIP Device Name: Netgear WGR615V
Firmware Version: latest
ISP Name: Eastlink
Computer OS: XP

Postby Daryl » 01/14/2015

Thanks for that info. I still need a bit of clarity (not available on the main site). If I do the port over of my mobile number, does that replace my current carrier in some way (i.e., the carrier no longer has my number), and does it affect calls to my mobile that are not via Fongo (e.g. over the cell network)?

Also, do I have the option of requesting a change of my current Fongo number to one with a local area code? Is that free? Not my first choice, but good to know my choices.

Thanks for your help.
Daryl
Just Passing Thru

SIP Device Name: iphone
Router: Sagemcom Fast 5250

Postby bridonca » 01/14/2015

You are going to have to give me more clarity, I will try to answer from what I can understand from your question.

When you complete a port request, the old account is cancelled. You will have to talk to the telco is there is features from the old account you want salvaged before you make a port request from the new telco.

I think it would be easier just to set up a new Fongo account if you want another Fongo phone number. It costs $5 to port from one Fongo service to another.
bridonca
Technical Support

SIP Device Name: Netgear WGR615V
Firmware Version: latest
ISP Name: Eastlink
Computer OS: XP

Return to Device Configuration Sharing