People I have called, now get strange phone calls

This section is for general discussions surrounding digital phone service.
mysteryjesus
One Hit Wonder

People I have called, now get strange phone calls

Post by mysteryjesus »

Since using fongo, I have heard complaints from people that I have called who now get spam calls from strange phone numbers. Some people, maybe all of the numbers I have called, now get spam calls from imposters who call them and on the call display will be their own phone numbers! Other weird phone numbers that include ones with a whole bunch of 0's, or phone numbers that are like 123456789.

When they answer the phone, the caller hangs up.

What is going on here? Is this someone who has hacked gmail or is it someone who has hacked the fongo app? Is it random hackers or is it a spy agency like CSIS or the NSA? Why are these people calling?

This is extremely odd and sometimes they call up to four times or more a month. Can someone look into this and improve the security?
Savario
Active Poster

Re: People I have called, now get strange phone calls

Post by Savario »

same here. caller id is spoofed.

someone definitely is using this information (illegally)

i've received similar spam calls , on two different phones, in different cities within minutes....the only relation between these two phone numbers is that they are both active numbers that are called using a 'fongo' line.

i also receive spam fax calls on my 'fongo' line that interupt my current call. This is impossible for any regular/normal call because if someone else calls my fongo number while I am using it, it will announce that the user is unavailable...yet these 'spam' faxes come through and disconnect the current call! someone is using a back door to 'listen' in or take over the call.

this service is free, but if free means that someone is using your information or can listen into calls then i'm out.
ckkatan
Active Poster
SIP Device Name: Cisco
ISP Name: DSL
Router: Linksys

Post by ckkatan »

Of late, there are many reports about phone spoofing (https://www.fcc.gov/guides/caller-id-and-spoofing). I even received (that I did not answer) a call from my "own" phone number (this should not be possible - but I was wrong).

I would suggest not answering any calls from caller ID that you don't know.
lustucru
Technical Support
SIP Device Name: Grandstream HT-286
Firmware Version: 1.1.0.45
ISP Name: Bell Fibe 300/300
Computer OS: Windows 7 Pro 64 bits
Router: Bell hub 1000
Smartphone Model: Moto E
Android Version: Android 6.0

Post by lustucru »

I have received such calls during the last 3 months or so.

As mentioned earlier, the caller id is spoofed and filing a complaint to the CRTC is useless.

The only way to get rid of these calls is to use a PBX. You need to provide an extension number (a PIN) to all your contacts. The PBX IVR will prompt the caller to enter the extension number or a specific number lo lease a message (avoid ZERO and ONE, they are easily 'recognized' by robots). All unknown numbers will be rejected.