Typical questions a new guy might ask.

This section is for general discussions surrounding digital phone service.

Re: Possible to Port Number Out

Postby Jake » 11/14/2015

fastfile7 wrote:I currently have a freephoneline.ca account, and i recently bought a VOIP key under that account. I now want to port another phone number in but i don't want to loose my current freephoneline.ca number either.

What options to do i have?

Set up another account and port the number into that account, otherwise you will loose the FPL number you have now. You can only have one number per account, so the only option is to have more than one account.
Jake
Technical Support

Is this possible?

Postby tolocdn » 01/06/2016

Hello all,

Looking at possibly moving to Fongo from another voip provider. Presently I use an Obihai 110 and have 1 number. I would like to have that number (in Ontario) ported and a second number in New Brunswick added. Can this be done on one account? Do I have to pay for 2 unlock keys or would it be 1? How does one request an "out of province" number?

Cheers
tolocdn
One Hit Wonder

keep old phone no

Postby shahid_hussnain » 01/11/2016

Hi,
As per freephoneline FAQ said keep current your old active phone number for 14 days if you need to transfer to new provider.
But last week I canceled my home phone service and I m going to buy a SIP (freephoneline ) configuration and keep existing old phone number, in this situation what can I do because I cancel the old phone number .

Thanks,
shahid_hussnain
One Hit Wonder

Re: Typical questions a new gal might ask.

Postby JoEmme » 01/20/2016

Hello,

I'm an actual netTALK customer whose phone line has been hijacked from Iristel Canada last January 15, 2016 amongst the other 70,000 Canadian affected by the current dispute. The dark saga between the two providers is far from being over!

I've tried to download the FPL desktop app as I cannot receive any inbound calls with my actual VoIP provider. I get stuck at the registration process as the one and only phone number I can provide during the registration is the VoIP Canadian number that has been illegally hijacked. The registration gets rejected every time due to the suspended DID number...? We, netTALK customers, have received confirmation that the CRTC will be supervising the port out process which will allow all 70,000 Canadian customers to port out their number suspended by Iristel to the provider of our choosing.

My question is: is there any other way to register an account without a phone number in the meantime, until the dispute is settled and we get all the greenlight to port our number to either FPL or Fongo? Thank you for your prompt attention to this matter.

Josee
JoEmme
One Hit Wonder

ISP Name: Bell Fibe 25
Computer OS: Win7
Router: Bell Hub

Re: Typical questions a new gal might ask.

Postby Fongo Support » 01/21/2016

JoEmme wrote:Hello,

I'm an actual netTALK customer whose phone line has been hijacked from Iristel Canada last January 15, 2016 amongst the other 70,000 Canadian affected by the current dispute. The dark saga between the two providers is far from being over!

I've tried to download the FPL desktop app as I cannot receive any inbound calls with my actual VoIP provider. I get stuck at the registration process as the one and only phone number I can provide during the registration is the VoIP Canadian number that has been illegally hijacked. The registration gets rejected every time due to the suspended DID number...? We, netTALK customers, have received confirmation that the CRTC will be supervising the port out process which will allow all 70,000 Canadian customers to port out their number suspended by Iristel to the provider of our choosing.

My question is: is there any other way to register an account without a phone number in the meantime, until the dispute is settled and we get all the greenlight to port our number to either FPL or Fongo? Thank you for your prompt attention to this matter.

Josee

Hi,

I just received a note from one of our customers that NetTalk issue has been resolved.

Please check this,

Thanks,
Fongo Support
Site Moderator

Re: Typical questions a new guy might ask.

Postby Bluejay » 02/09/2016

Hi,

Simple question, just downloaded the free VOIP App on Mac, I seem to be able to phone out, but when phoning "given" number, no ring & goes directly to voicemail. The cell phone when dialing given number, has message - requests a password, & when tried password for voicemail, indicated wrong password; there was no ringing as per typical phone. I am not using any adaptor "ATA" and haven't paid the VOIP unlock fee. Is their any instructions on setup, and what is supposed to happen. E.g. on incoming call. I checked status and phone call was registered, but no visuals indication or ringing on head set. Is their a pop up to indicate an incoming call?

stumped!
Bluejay
One Hit Wonder

New to FL

Postby shan52 » 02/09/2016

Hi, I would like to know if is possible to receive and send fax with a physical fax machine. Do I need to purchase two key to get two line, one for the home and one for the fax. The fax number is the same as my home number. Is it possible to use the voicemail on my integrate cordless phone. I would like to port my phone number too. I have an Obihai202. I don't have set the device yet. What's the way to set this up properly. Thank you
shan52
Just Passing Thru

SIP Device Name: Obiha202

how to disable voicemail?

Postby brandnew » 02/10/2016

Hi support,
I have a paid freephoneline for my primary home number. My cordless machine comes with voice recording and is setup to start recording after 5 beeps. The longest from freephoneline.ca setting is 5 as well. Most of missed calls are going to freephoneline's voice mailbox.
Is there any way to disable voice mailbox on freephone.ca so the voice could be left on my local machine?
Thanks
brandnew
One Hit Wonder

Postby Jake » 02/11/2016

Bluejay wrote:Hi,

Simple question, just downloaded the free VOIP App on Mac, I seem to be able to phone out, but when phoning "given" number, no ring & goes directly to voicemail. The cell phone when dialing given number, has message - requests a password, & when tried password for voicemail, indicated wrong password; there was no ringing as per typical phone. I am not using any adaptor "ATA" and haven't paid the VOIP unlock fee. Is their any instructions on setup, and what is supposed to happen. E.g. on incoming call. I checked status and phone call was registered, but no visuals indication or ringing on head set. Is their a pop up to indicate an incoming call?

stumped!

Sometimes it takes a while for a number to kick in, but it sounds like this one didn't get set up right.

Either try a new number, or send in a support ticket https://support.fongo.com/anonymous_requests/new
Jake
Technical Support

Re: New to FL

Postby Jake » 02/11/2016

shan52 wrote:Hi, I would like to know if is possible to receive and send fax with a physical fax machine. Do I need to purchase two key to get two line, one for the home and one for the fax. The fax number is the same as my home number. Is it possible to use the voicemail on my integrate cordless phone. I would like to port my phone number too. I have an Obihai202. I don't have set the device yet. What's the way to set this up properly. Thank you

VOIP and faxes don't really go hand in hand and can be a little trickier than it should be. You need to make sure that your ATA supports T38 protocol for a start, I don't know if the 202 does. I know the PAP2T I use does, but that ATA is getting on in years now and I am sure there is much better ones out there.

If you can get it working then you will only need one phone number, just like a normal land line.

Receiving faxes is easy, just let them go to your Fongo voicemail and their system will turn it into a PDF for you. For a while I had a second number I kept just for incoming faxes. Sending faxes can be ok, but keep them simple (no full sheet pictures). There is a thread here somewhere for tips when sending faxes. It might be worth doing a search for it if you are getting trouble.

If you are only sending the odd fax now and again, I would suggest using the answerphone to receive the faxes, and use an online fax service to send them. If you are sending a lot of faxes, then I would be careful of using voip as it doesn't seem very suited to it.

Sorry these might not be the answers you were hoping for.
Jake
Technical Support

Re: how to disable voicemail?

Postby Jake » 02/11/2016

brandnew wrote:Hi support,
I have a paid freephoneline for my primary home number. My cordless machine comes with voice recording and is setup to start recording after 5 beeps. The longest from freephoneline.ca setting is 5 as well. Most of missed calls are going to freephoneline's voice mailbox.
Is there any way to disable voice mailbox on freephone.ca so the voice could be left on my local machine?
Thanks

Unfortunately the short answer is, you can't. FPL doesn't allow you to turn the answerphone off because they make money from terminating the call. When the answerphone kicks in then the call is terminated, and they make money. They run a free service and have to make their money somehow, and this helps to keep the system as free as it is.

The only thing I can suggest is to lower your phones ring time, but that will probably make it pick up too quickly.
Jake
Technical Support

Postby shan52 » 02/11/2016

If I buy the unlock key and port my number from FL to another SIP. What happen to my unlock key and my credit? Do I lose everything?
shan52
Just Passing Thru

Postby Jake » 02/12/2016

shan52 wrote:If I buy the unlock key and port my number from FL to another SIP. What happen to my unlock key and my credit? Do I lose everything?

Yes, your account will effectively be closed as soon as you port out.
Jake
Technical Support

Postby shan52 » 02/12/2016

Jake wrote:
shan52 wrote:If I buy the unlock key and port my number from FL to another SIP. What happen to my unlock key and my credit? Do I lose everything?

Yes, your account will effectively be closed as soon as you port out.

How to keep the unlock key and credit after port out from FL?
shan52
Just Passing Thru

Postby Jake » 02/12/2016

You will have to contact them directly shan52. The only thing I can think of is if you can create a new free account and get them to swap the numbers over. Then you can port your number out from the new account and your unlocked account will have the new FPL number.

I can't think of a procedure where you can do this by yourself, so you will have to contact them and see if they will work something out for you.
https://support.fongo.com/anonymous_requests/new
Jake
Technical Support

How to register without a callback number?

Postby lighttheway » 02/17/2016

The reason I want to try FreePhoneLine is that I don't have a phone number. So how do people register if they have no number for FreePhoneLine to call back on to verify them?
lighttheway
Just Passing Thru

Computer OS: Windows XP

Re: How to register without a callback number?

Postby bridonca » 02/18/2016

lighttheway wrote:The reason I want to try FreePhoneLine is that I don't have a phone number. So how do people register if they have no number for FreePhoneLine to call back on to verify them?

Fongo assigns a phone number to you, even with the free accounts. you can take calls from anyone. I never had to provide a phone number, but that may have changed. You can probably submit a ticket to explain your situation. Sign up for a free account and see what happens. The other option is to use a parent or friend's phone number, and verify with that.
bridonca
Technical Support

SIP Device Name: Netgear WGR615V
Firmware Version: latest
ISP Name: Eastlink
Computer OS: XP

Postby lighttheway » 02/19/2016

I tried to email them but didn't hear back from them. Maybe they're busy. If you can use any phone number at all, there's not much point in asking for it. Maybe I'm too logical.
lighttheway
Just Passing Thru

Computer OS: Windows XP

Postby Fongo Support » 02/19/2016

lighttheway wrote:I tried to email them but didn't hear back from them. Maybe they're busy. If you can use any phone number at all, there's not much point in asking for it. Maybe I'm too logical.

Hi,

Did you open a support ticket?

http://fongo.help/submit

Please do so. Not sure what " I emailed them" means.

regards,
Fongo Support
Site Moderator

Postby shan52 » 02/22/2016

Hi Jack, I have sent a ticket 156560 about my port number question. The information to port the number is now updated. Now the problem is solve. Thank you
shan52
Just Passing Thru

Change of Phone number

Postby koreyb » 03/23/2016

Hi There,

I put a request to have a phone number changed on my account and I have a few questions.

I submitted the request and did not get any email confirming it had been received or put in a support ticket queue. Is this normal? How long is the normal turn around for a number change?
If I have another account (no voip key) and want to take that number and move it to a active voip key account can that be done?

Thanks in advance for any light you can shed on this.
koreyb
Quiet One

Re: Change of Phone number

Postby Fongo Support » 03/23/2016

koreyb wrote:Hi There,

I put a request to have a phone number changed on my account and I have a few questions.

I submitted the request and did not get any email confirming it had been received or put in a support ticket queue. Is this normal? How long is the normal turn around for a number change?
If I have another account (no voip key) and want to take that number and move it to a active voip key account can that be done?

Thanks in advance for any light you can shed on this.

Hi,

Please see my answers below:

1. How long is the normal turn around for a number change?

Please refer to the FAQ below:

https://fongo.zendesk.com/entries/23730 ... one-number

2. If I have another account (no voip key) and want to take that number and move it to a active voip key account can that be done?

Please refer to the FAQ below:

https://fongo.zendesk.com/entries/53554 ... ngo-Mobile

Regards,
Fongo Support
Site Moderator

i have fpl line with 416 area, and i want to change

Postby tester2 » 06/02/2016

hi guys, I need your help, I already having FPL Line with 416 Area Code, but because of some problems, I want to change my FPL Tel# with same 416 Area Code, so can any body let me know, what I have to do TO CHANGE MY FPL TEL#,

Thanks
tester2
Active Poster

Re: i have fpl line with 416 area, and i want to change

Postby Fongo Support » 06/02/2016

tester2 wrote:hi guys, I need your help, I already having FPL Line with 416 Area Code, but because of some problems, I want to change my FPL Tel# with same 416 Area Code, so can any body let me know, what I have to do TO CHANGE MY FPL TEL#,

Thanks

Hi,

Please see below:

https://fongo.zendesk.com/entries/82140 ... one-Number

NOTE: If you requested number change in the past, and this is second time, they will charge you $5 plus tax

Regards,
Fongo Support
Site Moderator

Postby oceanbearing » 07/14/2016

Can we purchase the Fongo $4.95 per month service (plus Fongo ATA, set up fee and shipping) and later switch to freephoneline but keep using the Fongo ATA?
If I move to freephoneline I would need to spend the $79 for SIP but it would be nice to have working fall back plan and known working ATA.
oceanbearing
Just Passing Thru

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions